Asking people out online. Thoughts?

My purpose with this question is to promote a discussion about what people here think about asking people out online. I see that many users here have done/considered it. So I thought that it would be interesting to talk about it. What do you think about it? Do you have any positive or negative experiences that you would like to share?

Personally I don't the idea very much. I think that those things should be done in person and you should only ask someone out online when there's no other option. I don't have any kind of experience with it, I have never done it online and no one has ever asked me out as well.

Curious to see what you have to say.

Oh, also consider the situations that you actually know the person in real life but you don't have the guts to do it personally. So you use things like facebook or any other texting thing to ask them out. It's possibility too, consider it if you want to ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• Never asked people out online before, its to risky in my opinion. You always read about people getting raped or killed, and you don't know who is on the other side of the screen. If I were to ask someone out it would be in person.

• What if you were asked? Would you consider?

• I just wanna see what people think about it, I wouldn't do it even with someone I know. But I see that many people are open to the idea when it's not a stranger.

• Some people are.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've done both.

Have asked people I started talking to on Twitter and have used social media or messaging apps to ask someone out.

I don't see an issue with it. In some situations, it definitely makes the process easier. ;)

What Girls Said 1

• i don't think it's practical and i think it's the easy way out of making yourself vulnerable in an ACTUAL relationship. i have no experiences on it because i've never done it. online dating seems horribly thought out and is among the negatives of the internet in my opinion.

• I don't see it as negative, but it's something I wouldn't do either.

What Guys Said 5

• Online dating is usually 100% based on their appearance so I wouldn't even bother, if I looked good I might give it a go though.

• Maybe you might want to give it a go since looks are relative.

• haha yeah. And internet just make it easier for us to show what was really always in our minds xD

• Truth bro... Fucking truth. Haha.

• If there's a connection between both, then it's good to consider maybe getting a coffee together, in a public place ofcourse, while daytime, etc.

I'ce never done it actually. Never met in real life people that i knew online, because it never happened.

• I've never done it, but i imagine it's easier than doing it in person.

"Will you go out with me?"

• And the answer is going to Yes or No - probably without any of the fake gentle letdown "Oh you're sweet, but really not my type, I'm sure there is SOMEONE out there who deserves you"

• You do, but over text also means you can move on to girl number 2/3/4/5/6 instantly, so it's a question of quantity (online) vs quality (IRL).

• Yeah, it makes sense.

• I am against it as I see it as way too risky. Too many things can happen..

• I agree, you should trust the person too much to do it and if there's only online contact it gets very difficult.

• Im a shy guy and I when I like someone I usually tell them via text not personally.