What do you think about a guy bringing flowers to a girl on a first date?

What do you think about a guy bringing flowers to a girl on a first date?A guy wants to make a good impression on a first date but he doesn't want to seem too eager, too needy, too desperate. Should he bring flowers to the lady on their first date?

I never did that when I was younger. Over the years, I got older and wiser so, when I was dating about 10 years ago, I would bring a lady a single yellow rose. In the Victorian Era, the yellow rose symbolized friendship and the hope of new beginnings. I told a few guy friends that I did that and they all thought I was nuts, but I kept doing it anyway. Most of the ladies thought it was very nice. . . but ladies who are 40 or 50 years old don't have the same beliefs as younger women, so. . .

What do you think? Flowers on a first date: great idea or bad idea?

• I am age 13-21; I think it is a romantic and impressive thing for a guy to do
  • I am age 13-21; I think it is a desperate, needy thing for a guy to do
  • I am age 22-31; I think it is a romantic and impressive thing for a guy to do
  • I am age 22-31; I think it is a desperate, needy thing for a guy to do
  • I am age 32+; I think it is a romantic and impressive thing for a guy to do
  • I am age 32+; I think it is a desperate, needy thing for a guy to do
  • None of the above

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that a full bouquet may make me feel slightly uncomfortable because I love flowers and am very aware of how expensive they can actually be, but something smaller like a single flower would be really sweet.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I think that the poll speaks for itself, lol, women have always confused me, they say they want chivalry and flowers, but then they don't like flowers, or you are desperate or trying too hard, want someone exciting and fun but end up with a guy that's a piece of poop, and now all guys are pigs while a dude is there to give a girl a shoulder to cry on, lol, I swear women have blinders on when it comes to some of the men they end up with, to them he's Prince Charming but in reality, it's pretty obvious he is a dickhead and a jerk. So confusing.

• And they have a distinct advantage in dating. They don't need to decipher what a woman REALLY means when she says something. :)

• No, no they don't, confusing stuff though. Lol

• Don't overthink it man, just bring her a little flower. Who cares what others think? You won't when you reach my age.

What Girls Said 23

• Flowers, for me, would be very sweet. I'd think that he really wanted to impress me (which I LIKE).

If a man ever buys my favorite flower[s] (which II'm PRETTY confident no one knows) I'll kiss him on the spot. No questions asked and no hesitation.

• What is your favorite? Daisies? Carnations?

• Skits, I ain't a quitter, you little minx. how about Tequila Sunrise Dahlias ( "dahlia hypnotica "tequila sunrise)?

And a question for you minxy: Will you reveal your flower when the question closes?

• Oh, one more question cutie, you said "... I'll kiss him on the spot. No questions asked and no hesitation.". So, does the man who buys you your favorite flowers get to *specify* the "spot" on which you will kiss him? You should. . .

• I think a bouquet is probably too much for a first date, especially if we only met recently, but a single flower is sweet and thoughtful without being too heavy. My ex did that within our first couple of dates and I all but melted lol; made my day. I was pretty into him though, so I'm sure that was part of it.

• There's definitely an element of romance to presenting a woman with flowers, and a single flower is the best (I think). I don't frown upon it at all. Although personally, I would prefer if he held off on them for the first couple of dates since I'm allergic to many kinds of flowers. The first date is all about getting to know each other and making a good impression, so I definitely wouldn't want to be sneezing my way through that (or worse, get a rash, LOL!). I imagine a guy would feel quite embarrassed in that situation as well. I would need to have a chance to tell him I don't exactly do well with flowers, even though they are nice.

• I think din r it symbolizes friendship and new beginnings it'd be cute if both woman and man showed up with a yellow rise - without planning it. That'd be awesome :$

• It seems useless, all you can do with the flowers is put them in something. Which that's if she can find anything good to put them in. Then it ends up looking awful after a point which you either throw out or press it. Then put it some where you probably won't ever look at again. Then I would also feel like a horrible person for not having anything to give as well.

• If you want to go with a flower, do candy flowers. That way it's sweet and also has more uses and would taste awesome. :)

• @Aqualung Old traditions die hard I guess.

That makes me think of this 80's style monster penis this Japanese porn people did. It disturbed me because I can't stand 80's-90's style monster looking stuff.

• It's probably a collectable. Sure you don't want it? And it was my wife who died hard, not my traditions. Poor thing. Do dildos go to heaven?

• I like flowers, they cheer me up when I'm feeling down. The guys I've went on dates with never gave me flowers. :( But then again, none of them were romantic as they only had one thing in mind.

• I think he needs to stop! I'd probably close the door!

• I think it's super sweet and thoughtful.

• It is romantic and I would be deeply touched if a man did this for me. 💐

• I'm so allergic to flowers that I have no desire to receive any. A church group was giving away roses on Valentine's Day once and I accepted one to get them to leave me alone, and then gave it away to someone else. They saw this and chased me down to give me another one. I turned on my heel and was like "Ladies, I really appreciate the thought but if I keep this in my house I won't be able to breathe in like 10 minutes." And then they argued with me about that. COME ON.

• It's a bit too much for a first date. It would make me feel awkward, though it's a nice gesture for sure

• I think most women appreciate flowers. I don't really like roses, but I'd still appreciate the gesture. It's a sweet thing to do.

• I think it's a little too much for a first date… save that stuff for later dates in my opinion or else it may look needy.

• I personally kind of like it. I see it as a nice, good step in the right direction. Because what guy does that nowadays? His different/old school. I'd definitely be impressed by that gesture alone.

• I feel like it's cute and nice and all but it would put me off and make me pretty uncomfortable.

• Don't be, flypaper, it's just a nice gesture. And you deserve it?, don't you?

• @flypaper Thanks, I didn't think they were empty. It's funny but, I got a good feeling from you immediately. And that's why I was compelled to apologize, sincerely. I felt badly for pushing you, especially after I realized you're special (a vibe?). I did actually say "a vibe", huh? Wow. Proof that I am intriguing, maybe, and certainly as weird or weirder than you. Actually, I think you and I aren't at all weird. They all are. Think about it. ;-) . . . Thanks for seeing me as a genuinely good person - I try to be, and think you are too; and find it important to be; as I do (bet that made sense to you). Lost her 3yrs ago after a prolonged battle with an incurable cancer. Seemed surreal. Hurt us both; relationship suffered badly and the thought of her leaving behind a 10yr old son she had at 44yrs old destroyed her. To some 3 years may seem like a long time; you know, get over it. We have but it wasn't and still isn't easy. All that clutter, flypaper.

• Jr is doing very well. It's like him and me against the world though. No family here in the Carolina's (Hotter than Hades here). I think we finally got it covered and I say better late than never. So we're good. Thanks, almost there. Precarious? OMG, flypaper. Buckle your seat belts. Adolescence comes in like a Lion and looks like it's gonna hangout, for a while. It's okay, but gee whiz, I had to change my whole parenting plan. And be cool and good, as I'm all he has. I like him as well as love him - he's a good kid. But what a long strange trip it's been. Kinda funny. You realize how futile and silly so many things are. I have a good outlook. And am glad to have met you flypaper. Hope to see you soon. Ttyl

• It's sweet. I basically never ever receive flowers so that would be a nice change of pace.

• i think it's super cute

• I think it would be romantic and quite impressive.

• I think that bringing flowers on a first date is so romantic and sweet. I only see it in the movies or in books. I would so love if a guy does that. Wow.

• I'd like it. Especially the yellow rose and if he told me the meaning behind it. Him knowing the meaning is equally as impressive as him bringing the flower because for some reason, good general knowledge and knowing random facts is just somehow sexy.

• Unfortunately, too many young people think that doing "old fashioned" things like that is extremely uncool. Same attitudes about chivalrous conduct. I think there are a surprising number of young women who want flowers and a guy who opens the door for them. That's why I post polls like this; I am hoping to convince a few guys to try something more traditional.

• It's just that nobody wants to put themselves out there too much I think. Everybody thinks they'll be taken a fool of. Girls don't want to treat a guy like a "king" guys don't want to treat a girl like a "queen" both sides think the other will either take advantage of them if they treat the other too well or that they'll be laughed at. In reality, the best relationships are those that treat each other that way and where both parties put each other first.

• I think it's a really nice gesture. However, I think it would be more appropriate in my opinion to give flowers on a second or third date. To me, that would be more special.

On a first date, it can make it kind of awkward. Especially if they have room-mates, then they go home with a bouquet of flowers and the people are asking if that is their boyfriend now. Worse yet, if they still live with their parents it makes it awkward as well.

I think the best bet is to wait. I love flowers, but getting them right away from a guy just doesn't seem as sincere. I want him to give them to me because he wants to. Not just because he wants to get in my pants or show he wants to be with me right away.

In my experience, whenever a guy does grand gestures in the beginning, he quickly burns out and then loses interest really quickly. I've had that happen to me a few times where the guy is incredibly interested, then all of a sudden he's not and I am left heart broken because I felt like he really did like me.

• I understand what you are saying about grand gestures. That is why I took a single yellow rose to a lady on a first date.

• A single flower is better in my opinion than a huge bouquet. Reason #1. I don't know many women who have vases in their homes anymore. I know when I recently got a rose from a guy, I had nowhere but in a water pitcher to put it in :P. I think a single flower is less of a big statement than a huge bouquet.

• Awww! With a big hug. That would be my reaction!

• Do it. Stand out from all the other guys who aren't even being that thoughtful to begin with.

• You go Girl! Chivalry is not dead. Just ask me and OlderAndWiser. And we're not even that old! Really. You'll see. 60 is the new 40 people.

• Or like, the new 20's (if it were the 17th century) .

What Guys Said 16

• They still love flowers, they'd just prefer different types these days...
    www.growkind.com/.../0DSCF1616.JPG

• i think its considered suicide in today's younger generation, maybe lol.

• You may be right, but I think there is a considerable segment of the younger generation who really want to hold onto some of the old traditions. When I posted a question about chivalrous behavior, a majority of young girls said that they wanted to see more of that in guys their age! Probably not what you expected to hear. I do understand that a poll on G@G is far from an accurate sampling of the younger generation, but you can't just automatically dismiss those results, either.

• You're a good man, BertMacklinFBI

• This is one of those questions where you want to say what everyone else is saying "oh its so cute blah blah" BUT being pragmatic, It's a bad idea.
    I mean look around, it's unusual on a first date guys can we be real here? You never want to be "qualifying" yourself, ESPECIALLY on a first date. There's more risks than potential benefits to go over the top on the first date like that, it'll make a lot of girls uncomfortable in my opinion.
    With this said, obviously flowers and being chivalrous is a great idea. But you don't want to be so strong immediately, it's too much. But down the line, Absolutely!! I buy flowers all the time for a girl I've been dating.

• Given this day and age, and how romance isn't something you can win girls with, it just sounds desperate, it will only make the girl feel awkward because she's going on a date with a doormat.
    She's most likely gonna be turned off by it.

This is unfortunate, but it's how it works at least with young people.

• Its ok to do that but not really necessary

• I would do this too, but I can see how it's frowned upon. In a way, with equality being a big thing nowadays, you kinda make the girl look/feel bad if she does not bring you a small gift.

• That guy is ruining his chances and most likely will be going home alone while the girl gets fucked by Chad off tinder.

http://i.imgur.com/CoeqSKi.jpg

You need a wakeup call
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a27581-5-reasons-why-fewer-men-want-to-take-girls-out-on-dates-these-days

• Actually, taking a single yellow rose to a girl on a first date worked out fairly well for me. I almost always got a second date if I wanted it.

• Currently have 27 votes from girls age 13-21 and 16 of 27 say it is a sweet and romantic gesture, not needy and desperate.

• Girl say a lot of shit. Actions=/= Words of women.

Don't you know that already?

• I wouldn't for two reasons: 1) it's sappy, and 2) at that point I don't know if she even likey flowers, much less which ones. So, my only option would be something stereotypical like roses. That's lame and boring. I might bring her a nice flowering cactus, though. On the third date.

• Dont do it. its the first date so its not really need it. the date could be a flop, i say just focus on having a good time and discovering her personality. stimulating her brain, thats better and will last longer. giving her "things" isn't going to make her like you more its just "nice". she can get flowers anytime at any place, pay attention to her and you'll know the best time to give her flowers

• Hey Kiddies, I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to respecting women. And when I start dating again (Yikes!), I probably will bring her a flower if I think she's special.

• 18 and would never do that baha would rather buy her some lingerie corset week lwter if she in lol

• I have the idea that it's a good thing to do when it's about older women.
    But, for a girl, go more practical. Avoid making her feel heavy thinking about the gesture.

• too much.

• I think it's moist.

• Wait on the flowers until after you pass the audition.

• I think that bringing a single rose is better for a first date.