College education, deal breaker for me?

I really connected w a guy I met on an online site. We went out and I really like him. He is younger then me, but he may not have a college degree for awhile. My ex had a college degree which he was even interested in, he had no goals no ambitions, just lazing around. This guy has interests and seems motivated. Should the degree be a deal breaker. by the way I do have my degree

Most Helpful Guy

• Fuck no! College is not for everyone. I actually have more than one degree so this is coming from someone who has graduated college. I know a few people who don't have a college degree but are very motivated and hardworkers. They do great at their job and advance into management roles. At the end of the day a college degree is only a piece of paper in all honesty. Any job you take make loosely be based on the fundamentals but either way you learn what they do and how they do it. I've never had to handwrite a journel entry at any of my jobs. I probably wrote a million in college.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, people don't need a degree to take care of themselves and even support families.

So, I think it's a silly deal breaker and not even a well thought out one.

However, it is 100% your choice.

Little story, my mother's friend always pushed education as important. She told her kids she only wanted them to date people with a college degree. Well, one is in a stable marriage with a teacher, so, a teaching degree. The other is married to a guy who works for the government, super smart, fancy sounding degree, treats her like crap, mean, no joy. It's not about the degree, it's about the person. Just because he may not have a degree doesn't mean he won't treat you good.

What Guys Said 18

• That sounds pretty shallow to me, but hey, it's your choice and I could not deny your choice nor would I want to. You are free to be who you want.
    Now I have a question for you. If it was the opposite, you don't have a college degree and the guy you met has one. What would you think if he was the one asking the question?

• I never would think someone educating themselves would be a deal breaker. Since you've been through it I would think you appreciate it. You can't compare new guys you meet to your ex.

• No, ambition and passion is more important than a degree. But it may be a while until he can make the good money and you have to accept that and not nag him about it:) I'll take a person with passion over a PhD with none, any day of the week.

• that's entirely up to you.

i personally wouldn't judge a girl if she did or didn't have a degree.

• "Should I date a guy lacking in education," asks girl whose question almost makes no sense due to her tenuous grasp of English.

• English could be her second language. Einstein had a very thick English accent and was a horrible speller. It is not an accurate measure of intelligence. You are wayyyy dumber than Einstein.

• @sparkly-crystal I would never presume to post in a language I don't speak fluently about how I think someone isn't good enough for me due to their perceived lack of education.

• You sort of answered the question yourself. One man had a degree and no ambition. The other had ambition and no degree. What can the man with a degree do if he has no ambition?

I think you should stick around with this guy, if you like him.

• I don't have a degree, I have made 100k plus since 25, and as much as 350k/year. I own my own home in and exclusive neighborhood, community leader.. when you get out of your twenties people don't know, ask or care. No one "THING", no single quality or accomplishment make a person, but rather, a collection of experiences that continues to mold us as individuals until our last moment on earth. No, that should not be a deal breaker.

• If this guy really has a thirst for knowledge it doesn't necessarily have to manifest in the dogmatic medium that is a college degree, honestly more can be learned in the college libraries than the classes themselves, and that's entirely free of charge.

• Just remember:
    (1.) Just because someone has a college degree doesn't mean they're smart nor that they will get a good job.
    (2.) you don't need a college degree to get a good job

• No, a college degree should definitely not be a deal breaker. Lots of great guys do not have college degrees. A hard-working guy with no degree is much better than a lazy guy with one.

• No, it should not be a deal breaker. If that is how you think, he might be better off without you in his life.
    If he pursues a trade, such as electrical or plumbing, he will not have a student debt and will earn more than most graduates.

• A degree doesn't define the person he is. You gave the example yourself with your ex. If this guy is driven like you say he is he will eventually get that degree so i dont think this should be a deal breaker for you.

• Its entirely up to you.. my wife is getting a degree, and that sort of thing has never been a deal breaker to me. My opinion is to give the guy a chance.

• Give him time, he will get there. Go for it if he "rocks your world".

• When I met my SO, I was a college dropout working part-time at a bookstore. Now I have multiple degrees and a very lucrative job at a Fortune 50 company. FWIW

• For a while? I mean what's his plan

• Okay?

• Sounds shallow and kinda' confusing. Plenty of people have degrees doing the same work as someone that doesn't. Depending on what your major is it might be a negative. Alot' of college debt for a pointless degree seems like deal breaker to me especially for a potential partner.

What Girls Said 3

• You're kinda shallow...

• He will get it eventually.

• My brother has no college degree, but has 10x more brain than any college educated person. From a young age he got into investments, then later got into real-estate development/investing. Opened up his own private firm. He's 26, no college degree, and easily making over $300k a year. A degree doesn't determine success.