Would you date a cripple? Why/Why not?

Simply put, I'm a cripple. I use an electric wheelchair to get around, but despite this, I'm fully independent. Everything works sexually, but still women seem put off. I understand it to be honest, I probably would if I was them too. I'm wondering though, who here would date a guy (or girl if you're that way inclined) who used a wheelchair?

Cheers in advanced for answering. (Pun intended)

Most Helpful Girl

• That depends. Is being disabled the only way that you define yourself? Because if so, you need to be working on that. You're a complex person. Don't put yourself in a tiny box.

• Definitely not the only way I define myself, but I have to me honest with myself, it's a big defining feature, especially on first impressions. I wish it wasn't, but that's just the case.

• I really believe that's an idealistic view to say it's not. I appreciate the point you're making, and I agree with you to an extent, but it always will be something that stands out about me as it is something that makes me different. I wish that wasn't the case and people would completely overlook it, but as of yet, I've not found many/any people who do that.

• Well, honey, I hope you do.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's hypothetical, but I'm pretty sure I'd be OK with it. I tutored disabled people in college. There was one lady I had considered asking out. She wasn't severely disabled, but I don't think it would have mattered if it was more severe like a quadriplegic. We got along really well, and there was sexual attraction. So there was both sides.

Initial attraction is the first step. That's just the way it is. You need to get past that step. It might be an initial hurdle, but I truly believe that most people will see past your disability fairly quickly. I don't think it's a mountain you need to climb, just a small hill.

What Girls Said 14

• if s/he had the traits i look for in a partner, then yes.

one of my best friends from high school used a wheelchair, and i never thought of her as a "cripple"~ she was just one of the group. before she died, she told me that romantic interests did judge her for it, and all i could think of was how sad it was that they were missing out on someone who was seriously awesome.

you'll find the right person soon enough, and they will see past the wheelchair. sending good vibes your way :)

-von

• Yes, yes, yes. As long as he loves me, and i love him, i dont think that anything can keep us apart. Love is a basic, human need and looks beyond the physical imperfections. Its purely emotional, and we can't control it. Thats the most beautiful part. I believe you're a beautiful person, and you are deserving of someone perfect and suited to you.(:

Keep smiling!

• Probably not, because I spend more times in the woods hiking at night, or crawling around in abandoned buildings than anywhere else. I'm into paranormal investigation, and I'm a city ghost tour guide, so urban exploration is inevitable. Lot's of stairs, ladders, and impossible parkcour shit.

But if my BF/Husband became disabled, I would stay with him.

• I would. I am a cripple too. :)

• Probably not :/ I just think we wouldn't be compatible. The way I wanna live my life would be too adventurous for a crippled person.

• Yes, I most definitely would.

And to all those answering "No", well, just remember that one day you may also end up in a wheelchair.

• Yeah, why not?

• Depends on the person, but I'd say most people wouldn't really go and talk to a cripple in fear of offending them. I fear that they might feel devalidated because I spoke to them in an unpleasant way, even though I probably treated them like any other human.

I'd consider dating them, yeah. Depending on why they're cripple though, for future plans😂

• You're probably right! Too many people talk to me too cautiously that it comes across patronising, I'd rather they just spoke to me like a normal bloke haha.

What do you mean by the last sentence? hahaha.

• I'm glad you're so positive! (As well as intelligent and understanding.)

• Thank you. I very much appreciate you saying that, and also appreciate you taking your time to answer :)

• Yeah why not

• Probably not. I think I wouldn't get into a relationship with someone who is in an electric chair. But if I was with someone who got into an accident or something that resulted in them being chair bound, I would stand by them.

• i don't wish to marry a cripple but if the person i marry is one then so be it

• most probably not

• depends on the person? them being disabled is just a thing about them. that's kinda like asking, "would you date a person with black hair?"

• Yeah probably, I'm not one to do sexual things anyways so yeah.

What Guys Said 6

• Sorry to hear about that man. Simply put, most women are attracted to confidence, plain and simple. So as long as you don't let your situation hold you back, or "define" you, then I guarantee it's only a matter of time. Your post is more sincere and optimistic than half the other douche bags asking dumb questions on this site, so I'd say you're already well on your way. Keep doing what you're doing man, keep embracing life to its fullest, and you WILL reap the benefits that are owed to you.

• I WOULD date a cripple, actually! I've been thinking about this and honestly can't for anything figure out why someone WOULDN'T date a cripple

• Most crippled people will be better dating other crippled people?

Why? I'm not trying to be mean but you'll generally have more in common, aside from your disability because your lives are conditioned to cope with your disadvantages, so you'll naturally be more compatible.

It depends on your personality also as to whether others will find you open :)

• I definitely would, but I can understand why some people would be hesitant.

• Most likely not.

• i would date a person like that maybe