Is having been to prison a good thing or bad thing in the dating world?

On one hand, I could see why it would be bad...

But on the other hand, could it be a "tough guy," thing that could attract people?

Most Helpful Girl

• I actually dated a known "career criminal"

I would advise you that the less you say to anyone about your past, the better.

• But they will find out eventually...

Especially with the use of Google...

• It would probably come up in very little time...

• I don't see how it can when U always have the choice of what to tell a person.
      You also can use a totally different name :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm dating a woman in prison

• Not trying to be rude here, but I thought the term "dating" implied that there are actual dates.

• @crystalt70 they are when I visit. It depends on the definition of date. We spend several hours together and she gets to have all kinds of things from the vending machines that she can't get otherwise

• Ah. Gotcha.

What Girls Said 14

• I don't think it's as muh of a "tough guy" thing as it is a "reformed guy" thing. If you've managed to turn your life around and overcome what happened then I can see that being attractive.

• That's cool...

What if he drives a Lamborghini on top of it?

• No. Not attractive. "Oh yeah I really like him, he's such a bad boy- by the way he went to prison"- not a conversation people have.

• However, it would be a plus if someone had reformed themselves from a rough past

• If it's an explainable incident then that's a much better situation

• Lol... If only you knew...

• It's not a good thing to me, or most people for that matter.

• Its not attractive at all. Plus id be terrified of stds, men go gay in prison and no protection is used. My cousin is in jail right now been in for seven years. and i had many friends who have been in. Can people change ofcourse, but id need to see the change, Why you just got out,

• Depends on why. If a guy was locked up for protecting someone then it's a good thing but a bad outcome. He's still date-able in my opinion. But if he's in there for something stupid, harassment, abuse, or stealing, then that's bad.

• Not the greatest but its something i could look past if he's rebuilt himself for good.

• It can be a strike. What's more important is, now that you've served time; have you learned anything? Whether it be yourself and relationships with others? If you're seen as the 'tough guy' to the woman, run! She's bad news.

• Why is it bad if she sees me that way?

• Just going off what a friend at work just went through (not prison, but jail) every time the girl liked the "bad" or 'tough' guy image, she was always on the trashy side (cheater, drama, or drugs... and a stripper on top of it). After getting an STD, he wants me to hook him up with one of my "church friends". I wish I was making this up.

• ya its so gr8 cuz u kno us gals can't resist da bad boyz

• pretty terrible.

• Why is it bad?

• don't really want to date a criminal. i would wonder about the nature of the crime, if he was lying about what actually happened, if he was likely to end up in jail again, if he was unstable in general, etc. too many red flags.

• Bad thing, for the most part.

• A deal breaker for me honestly, does depend on the offense though and case

• Lol...

That would make it even worse...

• Hmm? I'm just saying if he murdered someone, that's a no-no. If he went to jail for say a possession charge (weed) I probably wouldn't mind, it would depend on who he is currently.

• I do not find that attractive.

• a bad thing, definitely? it means you're a criminal? wtf

• But it could be explainable... Or just something you did in your past...

• I'm saying what if he sold drugs, never got caught, then stopped...

As oppose to stopping because he got caught...

Would it be any different?

• I guess? probably. penitence is everything, I guess

• It´s bad

What Guys Said 8

• Ehhhh... plenty of "tough guys" that didn't go to prison, and what kind of girl automatically assumed (or believes, if told) that everyone out of prison wasn't doing uncouth things to keep from getting his ass kicked every day? Not saying you did or didn't, I'm just saying that finding a girl who's so trusting might be difficult...

• No it will barely attract people. Barely anyone wants a criminal as a partner. At least most sane people don't.

• Even if they've changed...

• Means you could have aids, and possibly no job. Otherwise as long as your working I honestly would not mention that till you have known them awhile cause otherwise only trashy people will be interested like hard drug, hoe themselves out people

• What's tough about going to prison? If I shoot and kill someone and sent to prison does that make me tough? Prison doesn't and shouldn't make you look tough and for all we know you could've been someone's bitch in there.

• You've never been there...

• I don't need to have been there to know that prison doesn't make you look tough.

• You've never been locked up with murderers 24/7 for years, have you?

• No, there is nothing about being in jail, that is attractive. It give more of a "I need to GTFO before i get killed" vibe.

• I dunno - if you're not gay, were you the boyfriend or the girlfriend while in jail?

• It doesn't really work like that...

• Who knows? Maybe you'll find a girl who is into pegging?

• only if you're dating ex cons.