Why has the internet ruined dating?

It seems like in the advent of the internet, we've ruined dating. Every guy and girl is berated with with constant comparisons, through no fault of their own, with the stunning models used to sell product. Nothing new for the 21st century but why does it seem so damaging than anything you've herd of in the past? I think just spending time on the internet harms you're idea of dating and who you'd like to spend time with. What are your thoughts GaG?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because the media sets a description on the build-a-girl/guy them which everyone see's it as :"Okay this is the girl/guy i have to go with and her/his image has to be based on that and if anything fall beneath it then she's/he's not right for me." Nobody wants to go out anymore and meet new people instead of sitting in front of a computer screen and do online dating. Not only that social media, the big time instagram we fantasize over how many likes so and so has and if their actually good enough or not. It is addicting but once it pulls you in permanently then there is no way on getting out.. Guarantee.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if it has ruined dating per say, but i do know it has ruined matchmaking before dating. Since its so easy to lie on the internet or pretend to be someone your are not, knowing full well that it is a computer algorithm that makes these matches.
    I miss the good old days when we weren't all hiding behind phones and social media and you actually had to walk up to people. I've had girls threaten to break up with me if i didn't advertise them on my social media page... long story short, they learned real quick.
    People are too dependent on the internet... its only an option... not the ONLY option.

What Girls Said 6

• I wouldn't say it has ruined dating. It has changed it completely. If you know how to online date.. it can be successful. But you can't fall for just anyone. I think online dating is better than picking some guy in a bar. But that is just from my experiences...

• You're right. It completely fucks up your dating logic and approach to things with contradicting concepts

• I think you're way over exaggerating.

• I guess you're single huh? And no one responded to your messages online?

• SOMETIMES I FORCED MY DADDY TO BEDN ME ALL THE WAY OVER SO I CAN SUCK MY VAGINA

• I agree completely. I used to not get it, but now I notice I compare myself to blonde beautiful Instagram models and I wish I could looks like them

What Guys Said 6

• Well there's many pros, cons and double edged swords to online dating.

Pros: You can meet a wide amount of people you wouldn't have met otherwise, easier to find people with common interests, you can do it from your home or phone, and you know exactly why you and your date are meeting when your date happens

Cons: People lie a lot and catfish about themselves and their appearance, people use it for attention and/or ego boost, a lot of pervs and fake people on there, a lot of boring/generic people on there

Doubled Edged Sword: Lots of opportunities which can be good and bad for both parties. Don't put your eggs all in one basket, but for all you know you could have connected with your date and she/he is seeing others. Vice versa applies too.

• Without sounding hypocritical, I've multi dated myself but there have been times where I had a fling or saw a girl for a month and felt connected only for her to flake/ghost.

• The internet has changed everything.

Nuff said.

• Well that depends. Are you influenced greatly by that, do you have bad self esteem, etc... Internet definitely is a double edged sword. Its the age of information. But, with the increased content, media overstimulation and instant connectivity, it leaves an impact on an individuals perception of themselves and others around them. Educating internet users, especially new ones (kids and teens) about the dangers, benefits and trade offs is a priority we have been neglecting...

• It's like you say, the feeble mind crumbles under the pressure.

• Agree.

• I agree. Everyone wants a 10 now, admittedly myself included. It's not like we're limited to a small town anymore and whoever is around is your pick of the litter.

Everyone is now bombarded with images of beautiful people from all over the world. We've become spoiled.