If you are upper class, would you date or marry someone lower class?

If you are a physician, would you marry a truck driver?

I'm serious. Please no sarcasm.

Most Helpful Guy

• Statistically men tend to marry down, as far as that is concerned. Poor men and rich women tend to remain single. No one wants to marry the poor men, and rich women price themselves out of a relationship by over estimating their own value.

I am not upper class, but I don't think I would want to marry if I were upper class. The laws can screw the guy over so bad that if I got married it would be in a country where the woman would not be rewarded by divorcing me. As far as dating goes, I have would have no problem dating the same woman for the rest of my life. I just wouldn't get married if I were rich, as that would turn me into a target under our screwed up legal system.

Most Helpful Girl

• My first reaction was "yes, of course, class shouldn't matter" and I do believe that's morally right. But when I think about it, I probably wouldn't marry someone 'lower class' if I were 'upper class', because I always prefer dating people I have a lot in common with. I don't think there's a large chance for the physician and the truck driver to have similar intelligence levels, to have similar hobbies and interests or to like to hang out with each others friends. Therefore I'll probably date someone of around the same 'class' as I am. Anything's possible though.

What Guys Said 70

• It would all depend on whether or not we are on the same level mentally... Someone running a business earning 6 figures is thinking about and interested in talking about things that someone working in a lower level warehouse job probably isn't interested in. If one person in the relationship is interested in going to networking events in the evening or discussing the repercussions of a political candidates tax policies over dinner, and the other person can't miss an episode of "Dancing With The Stars" or Tuesday night bowling with the friends from work, it probably won't be the best relationship. That's not to say it couldn't work, but it just seems less likely that there would be enough commonalities for it to work.

"class" or money wouldn't be the determining factor... "class" or money might just be the outward manifestation of different ways of thinking, different goals, values, or ambitions.

• Absolutely,
    Income shouldn't matter at all. My wife makes only a fraction of what I do, and it doesn't put a damper on our relationship at all. If there's any situation such as travel to where she can't afford it. Then I just end up paying for the remainder or all of it. Which in all honesty, I don't mind one bit as we both enjoy the trips together.
    The only thing I have to make notice of and recommend to others. Is to never ever use the fact that you make more money a benefactor to you being able to make more decisions or have the say so in the relationship. I've made sure to never allow myself to think this way, or mention it at all. Which has allowed both my wife and I to equally have a say in everything we do together. The only difference between us is my fun money for my own personal use is a tad bit more. :) But if she truly wants something that she can't afford, and it's within reason. Then I'll help with paying for it.

• definitely! But there is criteria to that. She still has to have the right "character" for me. The fact she is a waitress or works in burger king, I could care less and maybe even better... because I can lift her up to new hights if she wants to progress to other things. I'm a giver...

I'm saying hell yes!

• Not every girl can get the job they want being Casey is how you act and what standards you have. Its not about how much money you earn.

• Yes, I would. If I met a woman that was a truck driver and I loved her and she was a great person then hek yes I would marry her. What is important to me is a woman is a good person not how much money she makes or what her job is.

• It seems you mean the "class" you acquired during life, in that case, no, we just wouldn't have much to talk about. But in the case of the "class" you were born in I wouldn't care about that, maybe even prefer someone who had to work their way up like I did.

• Yes. My wealth wouldn't make me intrinsically better than another human being. Material possessions are shit seriously. They provide a temporary high and sense of satisfaction. Vanity fades. What truly matters are the bonds we establish in life because those are few and far between.

• I am currently middle management for one company, on the board of directors for a second, CEO for a third, and a major stock holder for a fourth. I am not now, but have in the past been very wealthy, and I am working towards wealth again, my wife on the other hand works in a phone room.

• if the attraction is there, the chemistry, yes.

• Maybe

• Yeah I would because i used to be part of the lower class, I know it's struggles, how hard life can be, and knowing that why would I deny being with someone simply because of their social status? that's petty and shallow.

• Sure thing. By the time my girlfriend graduates she'll have like 1/8 of my income at best. But I don't mind it, she's not a gold digger, when we got together we were in the same position, and on top of that, she puts an effort to be as independable as possible. Also I really love her and she's too dear to me so I'd support her even if she ended up unemployed.

• Assuming of course that we love one another and all that.

Absolutely. I don't care one bit whether she has a prestigious occupation or not.

• Sounds like my parents, haha. My dad is from a middle class family and has been involved with the merchant navy and is now a manager of an oil platform. My mum came from a poorer working class family, she never had a proper job apart from part time retail. Now my parents have been happily married for 19 years.

So to answer your question, yes I would. It's who the person is that should matter.

• I think honestly a person may want to date someone of equal status so their partner doesn't try to hold some sort of financial high ground over them.

In a healthy relationship I personally believe its important that people are treated equally and one person that has significantly better financial income can totally abuse that and be manipulative and unfair.

Unless you really trust that person to be fair with you then I would generally meet others with similar income.

• Generally there is always the risk of someone trying to date another person specifically because of their income which is not a genuine romantic interest.

• if i was in the tax bracket you described for the right person yes i would date out side my class. just because someone might be poor doesn't mean they are not a loving, caring person. thats what i would look for over how much money they have.

• Yes, because not everyone is born into a family that has the economic capacity to fund tertiary education for their children.

• Depends on how they fare as a person.

• I'm not sure I'm considered upper class. But if I was, I would say that it wouldn't matter what class she is. If we connect and are attracted to each other, then absolutely.

• Yep for sure
    If she matches with me then yes yes yes
    "Put your hands up in the air
    Like we don't care" 😂 LOL

• If I felt she was the one, yes I would.

• We may have different culture, so our interests may differ. In the direct sense, I wouldn't care whether someone is of any class. Love is love.

• Yeah, why not?
    If they're an amazing person then I dont see the issue. We're all people in the pursuit of happiness.

• I am a goy
    I would love to meet a girl who was a higher class and defile her with my goyish nature mwuahahaha

• Yeah, if the love is there

• Yep. How much money you make doesn't define what type of a person you are.
    But it will never be like that (judgment free world) because of our most basic insticts...

• Yes, as long as they were striving to be better and not remain in the lower class status.

• yes. though, i'm happy with mid class, i've seen my fair share of high and low, and frankly, both extremes annoy me!

• Fuck classes. My father is construction worker and I'm studying civil engineering. I guess you got smth. I hate elitist people.

• Id even marry a homeless girl.

• More from Guys
    40

What Girls Said 42

• Of course, I would. As long as he does what makes him happy and he can afford to live, that's all I could ask for. Besides, my money is my own and his money is his own. I don't really believe in joint bank accounts or the whole "my money is your money" thing.

• im not sure. id prefer to marry someone around the same, and yet profession isn't everything to me. if I've totally got the hots for him in many ways, profession won't amount to much.

• Sure. Currently I am studying for quite a lucrative job and my SO is a carpenter, finishing a science degree but may not even use it and go into his own small business. Based on your example we'd be from different "classes" and that doesn't bother me. It's still him and his heart.

• no...
    It's not because of superficial reasons but I aspire to become a lawyer and honestly I put in so much work and I'm so ambitious, I can't be with somebody who didn't put in a lot of work and isn't very ambitious...
    I also firmly believe that education and university kinda opens somebody's mind, if ygm? And I need somebody open-minded in that sense for the relationship to work.

• I'm a medical student so I will be a physician soon. I'd like to say without hesitation that I would, because I would consider guys of many kinds of careers and I don't believe in ranking people, everyone helps make our world a peaceful place... but realistically, it's not the class difference that I find an issue. It's just that you may come from such different worlds, the compatibility and expectations, the level of understanding each other, it can get tricky. Like I started to date a dude who was a painter and I've seen a dude who worked at a warehouse at night. We were just SO different.

• i am myself lower class so...
    but back to your question... you should LOVE YOUR SO not THE STATUS OF THE PERSON

• Depends on the type of person they are. For the most part, probably not. One thing about the lower class people I live around is that they are perfectly fine being lower class. They don't seem to have much motivation to improve anything but then complain when they aren't afforded certain things.

• That's not how social class is defined in my circles tbh..

Anyways yes, I would because if I'd look only for people in "my class" I'd end up with a choice of like 2 potential partners and they are both vain assholes lol I'm not a lunatic.

• it's more about how much we have in common. But I'd prefer someone from a similar or higher class background. I don't know, it's not just about money, it's about how you act, how other people respond to you, what kind of habits you have. Habits influence the kind of life you lead, what health you're gonna have later on. a lot of factors come into play.

• I honestly think the job has nothing to do with it.

Yes, some people do look at salary however I believe it is more how they click together. If you are a lawyer or doctor you most likely have a high education and surround yourself with the same type of people as yourself. Because of this you are more likely to meet and date someone of the same status as yourself because you surround yourself with them be it at work or your circle of friends.

• If I like/love them ya

• Depends really x

• If he was the one that I really loved. Yes

• A profession does not necessairly reflect personality. You can have assholes with a PhD, and busdrivers with a heart of gold. Your personality is influenced by far more things by only your profession!

• It depends on the person because it's not about money. Yes, I'd love to have a man who'd be able to help with bills but it's mentally that we have to click, be on the same wavelength.

• No, I wouldn't.

If you are from a lower class your chances of going up are slim.

A person can always find someone, but money wants to be with money.

• Sure. I mainly care about personality. While I would hope their work ethic is close to paralleling mine, I don't care how much they make, as long as they enjoy the work it takes to make it

• a hard working truck driver

• It depends on the circumstances of them being in lower class. And what kind of person they are.

• Yeah, if I like them

• Yes sure. Being high class doesn't make me more than someone.

• As long as they have life goals and are willing to work just as hard for the sake of our family, then yes I would. Marriage is a team effort and as long as there is love, why not? Someone has to make more money than the other.

• People tend to get jobs according to their talents/personality/skills. I would choose someone i have common interests with but if I really like the person then yeah, it doesn't matter what truck he's driving
    .
    .
    .
    As long as he's givin' me a ride

• I thought truck drivers made quite a bit of money?
    Anyways, sure.

• I would date him only if, he is getting an education and is determined to have a strong career.

• I don't see that happening, no.

• Yes, I would, if there's love then class is just a meaningless word to me.

• Yes I would.

• NOT EVER!!!

• No. We would have different values especially on the money issue. I have friends who are not that well off and they don't like to spend money on things.

• More from Girls
    12