Should I start online dating?

I'm 25, never had a boy- or girlfriend, but I'm tired of being alone. I thought of making an account on a dating site, but I'm not sure... I'm suffering from a severe depression and I'm currently getting treated. I want to be open about it, but so many people don't understand or don't want to understand.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I want to be able to be myself, but I'm really afraid of rejection I guess.

Most Helpful Guy

• In my opinion and experience most people don't take online dating seriously at all. You can give it a try, maybe it will be different for you but don't put a lot into it or expect much. If you do go on some dates, just keep this part about your depression to yourself in the beginning, you can still be yourself but share that information a little later when you feel the relationship might be going somewhere or you're sure the guy really likes you and you him. Most guys are going to be very understanding and want to help/work with you on it but sharing that "baggage" right away isn't going to win guys over, give it a bit of time first.

Most Helpful Girl

• i was 27 when i met my other half on okcupid. i went into online dating with very low expectations, but i ended up finding a diamond in a sea of glass. lol.

that was 2 years ago, and we're happier than we've ever been. like you, i'm being treated for anxiety and depression, and he actually inspired me to get the help i needed. yes, there are freaks and weirdos out there, but there are also (wo) men who are intelligent, authentic, and respect others.

if you are going to date online, i would definitely recommend okcupid. there are questions you can answer and, though some of them are really personal (bordering on creepy), they really do help you to find more compatible matches.

most importantly, be safe and have fun!

-von

What Guys Said 12

• Just to be frank, it is impossible to never receive any kind of rejection. It's unavoidable, can and will absolutely happen. But all that matters is that you don't allow it to put you down to the point that you stop trying and give up entirely and pick yourself up and pull yourself together and continue to keep moving forward.

You can also try dating apps available for various smartphones.

Depression sucks, but don't give in to those unhappy and empty thoughts. Find something that you enjoy doing and will make you feel happy and want to do and get up every day in the morning for. As long as you never give in to depression you'll be just fine.

• sure but make sure you know what you're in for. online dating can be tiresome for girls.

if you're still in school you're better off there

• Dating sites are toxic freak shows.
    I would recommend an old-style introduction agency. One that has an office and wants you to go there for an interview.
    That should filter out the freaks and loons, as well as introduce you to people with whom you are more likely to be compatible.

• I say yes, give online dating a try! Make sure that it is at most, a secondary dating source. Meeting people in person should be the primary source. :)

• Best of luck to you.

• rejection is part of life, online dating can work if you are upfront and i think have the slow burn approach rather than trying to build mountains overnight

• Yes you could try online dating. 'Plenty of Fish' is nice one to start with, it's easy to use and navigate around. And the best part is it's totally free to use, so you can send and receive messages to your hearts content. Just be yourself, but don't put to much about yourself to start with, until you feel the time is right for you to do so. Just take your time, but above all take care.

• You have to be true to yourself once you do that the right type of guy will notice you for who you really are and fall in love with you.

• If attention is what you seek... online dating would be perfect. Despite your imperfections (your depression) you'll have several desperate guys boosting your ego.

• Sure, go ahead, but be careful.

• Honestly if you're socially awkward in person and with making friends, chances are online dating won't go so well for you. Speaking from personal experience, I'm not the greatest when it comes to approaching girls in person. Online dating didn't work so well for me.

• Where are you from?

What Girls Said 6

• I actually met my current boyfriend on Plenty of Fish. He's my first boyfriend as well. On my profile I mentioned my anxiety and how it can make that kind of thing (online dating) a bit difficult at times. My boyfriend and I were talking the other night and he actually said he thought it was really brave of me to do that. Put it out there in such a public place. So honestly, while yes, there are a lot of creeps and idiots on dating sites, the right person will appreciate the honesty, and that you're being your real self. It took several tries for me though. I'd create a profile, go on one or two bad dates, then delete my profile. Then I'd go back to it a few months later. Doesn't always work, but it definitely can. I don't know if I ever truly believed it would work for me, but now I've somehow ended up with the most incredible man.

• You can keep that to yourself until you feel ready to share that information. Good luck to you, I know it's hard with depression and all. But you will manage it :)

• that is the beauty of online date.

YOU get to decide who YOU want or do not want. You can be ruthless and not take rejection as seriously in real life. It's pretty good training actually, it helps you become less sensitive to rejection because you start to see that those who reject you just simply don't like you and have nothing against you.

You can do it!

• I think it's a good idea if you have rather limited social circle as I do, but always be careful for dangers out there.

• you need to do something lol that would be a good start though.

• Sure try it.