If your family doesn't approve of your bf/gf, Would you still date them?

I know most of you are gonna say "I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions!!!" and I agree completely. But I wouldn't date anyone my parents or brothers disapprove of. My brother's and dad's opinion of the guy I date is very important. I think a brother’s approval tells you what kind of guy he really is.

• Yes
  • No, I wouldn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't either for the exact same reasons.

What Guys Said 22

• If my family doesn't like her, she gets BONUS points, with me!!
    My family have NEVER liked ANY one that I introduced. After punishing the first three, I realized, it isn't for them to choose, but ME!!
    I stopped bringing who I was dating, home, to meet my dysfunctional family, and my relationships lasted!!!
    They have been so evil, to past Girlfriends, that I tell my current one that my family are all dead!!!
    When I get together with family, at Holidays, and they ask, I tell them I am considering going to the Seminary, and becoming a Catholic Priest, because their condemnation of my past Girlfriends has driven me to Celibacy!!
    Hey, they have been 'guilting' me with SHT, for years, and we AREN'T Catholic!!
    They say, "Turn-about is Fair Play!" Game ON!!

• Lol, why the hell would I care about that?

• Well, I'm 33 so I don't worry too much about what my parents think. I'd listen to their opinion and reevaluate, but their feelings would never drive my decision.

• Ah but that's the thing I never choose anyone they wouldn't agree or approve of because what I want is pretty much what they want, we have the same standards.

• There should be an option called Depends.

Love can blind us on what we think with the other person.
    While you can make your own damn decisions, taking another perspective into consideration is almost always a good idea.

If you're family doesn't approve since they see a red flag (your boyfriend controlling your life - you may not notice those things since you blindly love him), you may want to take their advice into consideration.

If your family doesn't like her because on how he looks compared to your family standards, talk to them. Ask them why.

Point of the fact is, if you're going to get married n the future, your family would have to deal with her and she the same. They need to be cool and chill with each other otherwise, you guys will either end up further away from your family or you will end up further away with your boyfriend (husband).

• I get along with my family and really value their opinions, so I'd listen to what they had to say for sure. But I wouldn't let that stand in the way if I disagreed with them.

• Yes, but I'm not very tight with most of my family and know I'm a more responsible/accomplished person than most of them.

• No. The happiness of my family, is my happiness.

• It would make me really sad if my family didn't approve. But I know my family and they would learn to accept them eventually. So I think I would date them a little longer and see if their minds change

• Its not their place to tell me who to date but id take their opinion into consideration if they know it would be a toxic relationship

• 0|0
  • Well... they have to have a legitimate reason to disapprove for me to stop dating her. If it was simply cause they couldn't really communicate or they didn't like what she does for a living then fuck that! I'm still dating her.

• The first thing I would do is to think about what they say to me about her and why they disapprove her, because in the end they might be right.
    Not caring about what they have to say is stupid.
    So in the end, maybe I would break up. Maybe not.

• 1.bp.blogspot.com/.../um.gif
    Um... I'm not entirely sure.

• Um I have friends with benefits but I don't really see the need for. Gf/bf type thjnv.

But if I honestly felt like I liked u a lot then yeah I'd go all in regardless of what they say.

There family there always gonna be there SK whatver

• With the exception of my grandma. If she doesn't like her, I'm dumping her ass with the speed of light.

• It will eventually take a toll on the relationship

• no i won't

• My mom pretty much only approves of me dating a good Christian Asian girl, to which I say, screw that, lol.

• Lol at everyone saying "i would" lol... funny thing is... when your awesome SO breaks up with you... your family will say " i told you so" and they ar3. going to be there for you... they are true friends..

but if you want to just go with they guy they dont like, enjoy it. Do as you please...

• My family disapproved of my relationship with my sixteen year old cousin eventually they broke us up last year.

• It tells you what kind of guy your boyfriend is or what kind of guy your brother is? Lots of people have bad first impressions of each other and it should not be the deciding factor on whether to stay or not because it's foolish since impressions can change very easily.

What Girls Said 15

• Yes I would. It's me who's sharing my life with him, not my family. I'm independent, I make my own decisions and choices. So if I make mistakes then I'm solely responsible for those mistakes , because I'm the one who's made them based on my own judgments, not my families.

My family have never been interfering in life. They trust my own judgments and want me to be with a guy who I believe is right for me. They'll accept anyone who I accept, and welcome him into the family.

• Yes I would still date a guy my parents didn't approve of, because I am in fact an adult and my happiness comes first in my life.

That isn't to say it wouldn't affect me, but ultimately I'm making the choice that suits me better.

• nope i wouldn't.

• If they don't approve even after I debate with them and give them all his qualities, then No. My parents are very nice and educated if they refuse it most probably means they are right.

• First of all 17 years of age is not an adult. You can argue all you want but you are not an adult as far as your brain, the inside wiring. Next if my brother didn't approve of my boyfriend I would have to take a long hard look at what I am doing and who I am dating. And specifically, what were his objections. Being an adult and mature would probably equate to being open-minded to my brothers objections

• :/ tbh i've never thought about that :(
    if one day it happens i'd be very confused :(

• yeah my parents are traditional and kinda racist so it's a lot worse if they approve of him

• Depends on the guy. If he's fine then my family can get over it. If not, I'd leave because he's an asshile, not because if them

• Yeah, but my family's approval does mean a lot to me. It would just make me sad.

• I trust my parents judgment. If they hated someone, there's probably something really off about them.

• Have for a year and a half

• I'm happy You're so close with Your family! ^^ <3 Keep it that way! A beautiful thing.

• Yes i would, because i don't care what my parents or brother think... if i like someone and i'm dating them, then who cares what other people think...

• Yes. My family's opinion is literally irrelevant to me when it comes to my love life.

• Okay here is my take (I voted yes).

I would be friends with him, not necessarily date right away. Get to know him better. Tell him your parents are not agreeing with you to be wit him and it's taking a toll on you.

Say you care deeply for him and would like to get to know him as a person, and gradually let your parents like him as much as you like him.

Don't be intimate with him up.

If he agrees, you know he cares about you and you get your parents approval EVENTUALLY