Am I ineligible to date women more qualified than me?

It is a well known fact that women date up and men date down, with looks being an exception sometimes.

I currently hold a bachelor's degree, and due to my circumstances I don't suppose I can ever pursue masters (I have very low GPA in bachelor's which makes me ineligible for most masters unless I repeat my bachelors). But I do have lots of skills and over half a decade of industry experience, and in my profession a masters isn't even essential.

Does this automatically make me 'ineligible' to pursue women who have more education than a bachelor's degree? I know some women would be fine with this, but I don't feel confident at all approaching women having a masters or higher. If I am interested in a woman and come to know that she is more educated than me, I immediately stop pursuing her off due to this 'rule' of women dating up, which means she can't ever be interested in me. And I hate to find myself in a situation where I need to explain why I can't pursue masters, and why it isn't even needed for me.

In short... is there any point in even pursuing women more qualified than me, because they are more than likely to turn me down? If I utilised the same time and efforts to pursue women with a bachelors or lower, maybe my chances of success would be much higher. Really need some insight on this.

I'm not 'specifically' seeking women more educated than me. I just want to honestly know if it's even worth pursuing them, and if I have a realistic chance with them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Education means nothing when it comes to dating. For some people they definitely have preferences, but honestly it does not matter. I went to college and I still will date guys who never went to school. I will also date guys who have a trade.

There is nothing wrong with alternate life paths. The keys to success do not always end in schooling. Some people are just gifted in different ways. Some are really great with their hands, while others are great with their minds.

I think you should go for who you like. Find commonalities you can share with her and go from there.

Most Helpful Guy

• First, any woman who cares if you have a degree isn't worth being with.

Second, this is not a "rule". Even if it's true about women dating up, it's an average of millions of people. Meaning that lots do not date up. However I doubt if it's even true. The math would be a bit of a problem if it was.

Third, the most successful people I know did not have a college degree at all. The most successful of those dropped out of high school in the 8th grade. The second most successful finished high school, barely. He was in the bottom 3% in his class.

4) You are not ineligible to date ANYONE. If you are interested in someone and stop because you think they are out of reach, you are your own worst enemy. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you are interested in someone just go for it. It doesn't matter what degree they have, how good looking they are, or what their social background is.

• Thank you! The thing is, I have approached women more qualified than me before, and they have ALL turned me down without giving a specific reason. Since I have only been able to get a 'yes' from women who are as qualified as me or lesser, I was wondering if my qualification is really such a big deal for women.

• OK
      Well like I said that might matter to some women, but not most. Plus, if they turned you down you don't really know if that's the reason or not. Lol, where are you finding all these women with advanced degrees anyway? People with advanced degrees are a fairly small minority.

Anyway, the bottom line doesn't change. If you are interested in them then go for it.

• Yes, I am not really sure what made them turn me down, but I somehow can't seem to consider it as just a co-incidence that they all had a masters degree or above.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 26

• As long as you entertain the idea that you are ineligible, you will be. You can't use a stereotype like this as a crutch, not all women conform to it. I have a friend that has her masters and her husband is a carpenter. Be confident that you aren't lacking, it's 2016. Most women I know just want a supportive partner to share their life with.

• Happy to know that there are open-minded women who don't always believe that they need to 'date up'! I'm not using that as a crutch, I just wanted to know how realistic my chances are with women more educated than me.

• Carpenters can still make a lot of money actually.

• @blondfrog you'really very right, I wasn't comparing salaries, just comparing the level of education required for my friends job, vs her husbands. And I'm also not saying that carpenters are uneducated, just saying that you don't have to have a masters to be a carpenter :)

• Speaking in generalities, most women do try to date up. But that's a misnomer. Education is yet but one aspect of the term "up". Women desire security. It's actually pretty simple. But lots of men can offer security in all sorts of ways and there are tons of women who have different expectations of what "security" means to them. Maybe you're uneducated but inherited a family farm. You raise pigs but you're good at it and earn a consistent good living and can offer a woman a stable and secure future. Instead, maybe you're an aspiring writer working on your Bachelors degree - you have no money but I love your writing and believe in your abilities to find success. Or, maybe you have a high school education but own your own car repair business - you come home filthy but you're kind and good looking and you're a hard worker. Or, you have a high school education and are holding down a decent job but you have a passion and a dream for being a famous rapper and you're really good at it and you're constantly working toward your dreams. Any of those are examples of men who exemplify qualities that hold a promise of "UP". Women want men who show promise of providing a stable life free of financial stress, able to care for his children, and think about the future with the instincts to care for us and keep us safe and healthy. A Masters degree is impressive but by itself says nothing about you. Show her you're worth an investment of her time and she will invest. Don't be focused on the superficial, be focused on making you a great catch.

• Very sensible reply! A masters degree does not really add much value in my profession, to be honest. Here we learn and get better as we work, and classroom learning isn't too beneficial.

• Not at all. I used to think I wanted a man who had at least a master's degree or a PhD, as I myself have a master's degree. But my boyfriend of 5 years actually has a college degree and I am okay with that. A person's intellect and personality has nothing to do with an education, and I think a lot of women should realize that.

• Thank you! But you initially did want someone with a masters or above, right? So if I have to be appealing to a woman more educated than me, I'll have to put in extra efforts to compensate for my lack of higher education.

• I don't judge guys by their degree, I judge them by their behavior (okay and slightly by looks). Someone who appears smart and insightful, who has a lot of interests, treats me well and who is funny is the guy I'd want. Don't care about the degree as long as he does something useful with his life, I know I will be making enough money myself not to have to rely on him anyways.

I think that counts for more highly educated women. They don't need the man to be a provider like they did in the old days, so they go for a nice personality instead.

• Thanks a lot, makes me feel better!

I can actually be a provider without having a masters degree, because my profession does pay pretty well (although I am yet to reach that stage). In this field, skills and experience matter the most, and even those without degrees can progress in their career.

• you are NOT ineligible at all. personally, as long as you have at least 1 degree, then we're good. in the end, it's not the paper i care about. it's that he has a job and can work with me to provide for what will hopefully be a future family.

• Translation:

It's not the paper, it's your bank account.

• I just found IT, I mean I'd trained for it for years and have always been good to a professional level at computer repair and maintenance. But I've always pushed back on it believing that it's not what I want to do because it is easy.

That said 40k a year isn't too shabby for a job that's just basically telling people how stupid they are all day long in a corporate setting. I don't have the job yet but I've pretty much been promised the next open position when it happens later this year.

• @Gommers yea and she's not even hot...

She must be Indian...

She's got the Indian princess syndrome...

While she "works hard," by playing on GaG...

And when she finally loses her virginity... She'll be mediocre in bed...

• I have a BA too (High five for us!).

I don't think qualifications really matter that much do they? I'd kinda like the guy to be similarly educated to me just so as I know we will be able to hold a convo but its not the first thing I look into when deciding if someone is right for me or not... chemistry and getting along is most important. I think you should be ok with pretty much any girl with a BA dude.

• Thank you, but I wouldn't want to limit my options to only women with Bachelor's. So I just wanted to know if women with a masters or higher, would still be ok with me! :)

• Wow, I never realised those words would have such an effect on women! ;)

• Its not a woman thing, its a person thing. If you put 'only' or front of anything it kinds sounds like an insult as does 'limit myself' xD Its like saying to a dude 'I don't want to limit myself to men that have thingies that are ONLY 12 inches big, I mean 14 is where its really at right?'. Ok crude example but just making the point lol.

• It's all going to depend on the woman. I may not have the high education, but I have a work history and coworkers turned friends that a lot of highly educated people would be jealous of. If you're okay with some of the stereotypes try going for the science based major women, they tend not to have the same "standards" that you seem to be worried about.

• What are those stereotypes you refer to here?

• Then you've got very little to worry about, maybe coffee breath like everyone... but as a degree holder I'm fairly sure you're a step up from average ;)

• I really hope you are right here! One of the reasons I was really keen on a masters, is to become eligible to more women (although this wasn't my primary motive). But due to the reasons I mentioned, I am actually ineligible to do masters itself! :P

• I have several post grad degrees. I have never dated a guy who has had one. The most educated guy I dated had a bachelor degree. When looking for a partner, I look for a guy who has a wide range of interests and general knowledge on a wide range of topics. ( this is just life experience, and being well read). It makes the person much more interesting, then someone who has just studied hard and never picked up a book since Uni.

• I just hope the majority of women are as open-minded as you! :)

• No, you can approach any woman of your choosing. It's up to them to decide if they reject you or not, and if they consider your degree to not be good enough for them then they're not a woman you should wanna be with in the first place.

• I go by person and not qualifications - if there's a spark, a certain degree or experience won't change that.

• That's how it SHOULD be, but I don't know if it usually is! But thanks! :)

• I am in professional school and I certainly would date and marry someone who was "less qualified" than me. I would think at least college educated is fine, to be able to relate. Not all women are the same. I know the trend is women seek same level or higher, but there are bountiful exceptions. Good luck, just meet a beauty of character and see where it leads...

• Thank you, very sensible answer!

• It was a thing where women dated up in education lower in looks. However thats changing these days, More women hold degrees then men these days. So , women will have to date lower in education but probably higher in looks. Me personally i dont think it mattera as long as you have a steady job.

• Glad to know that, thanks! I'm not all that good in terms of looks (although not too bad either).

• *rubs forehead*

• Correlation does NOT equal causation sweetheart. Please remember that.

• You have a bachelor's degree... you still went to college, not everybody does.
    As long as whatever you're pursuing in your job is something you enjoy and do good at, then that's good enough for me lol.

• Glad to know that! Thanks! :)

• As someone with a masters degree, it's not a big deal. I think what matters more is if you're intelligent, kind and motivated. It's not the degree, but rather showing that you're capable of taking care of yourself and taking care of her (even though she'll be more than able to do that herself). If you have a good job that you're proud of, and do things on the side that you're passionate about, it goes a long way.

• So sweet of you to say that! Gives me hope!

• The truth is that you pursue anyone you are attracted to an then come what may. Maybe a girl with mSters wants someone who is street smart, rather than school smart and you have that.

• I just hope so! I mean... I don't want to stop pursuing someone just because she is more educated than me.

• No, if two people like each other nothing else matters. But educated, smart women generally like other educated, smart men... It's just a case of being compatible, having things to talk about.

• SO you mean to say, someone with masters is much smarter than the one with bachelors?

• Not 'much smarter', no, just more experienced academically. You have to be pretty smart to get good grade in a Bachelor's degree at a good university.

• In the stupid country where I studied, getting 'good grades' in bachelor's just requires rote memorisation. My memory is pretty poor, so I ended up with poor grades. But I was the star performer in my previous company.

• Do you have a job at least?

• Yes I do, a mid-senior job that pays decently.

• Are you trolling? Because no one can tell If a person has a masters or bachelor's degree just by looking at them

• No I am not trolling. But I don't ask random women out. If I am approaching someone, it means we know a bit about each other (including education), and I feel compatible enough with her.

• It's impossible to know something about someone before approaching them so that makes no sense either

You still have to approach to get to know her

• I'm getting my master's degree and so is my boyfriend. I don't think I'd date someone who is not im school without a master's degree. But mostly because I would make fun of them not having one which would probably hurt their feelings and they'd be upset with me all the time...
    You know how some men don't even look at a girl if she doesn't have a fit body? Yeah I'm like that only with degrees. As those guys put it though, we have spent so much time and effort to get fit like this, why can't we expect her to do the same? I have spent so many years in school and libraries, learning, doing research and gathering information from random scientific journals, writing endless lab and technical reports... expecting the person whom I might spend my future life with to be on the same level isn't too much.

• So even if the person's profession does not demand a masters degree, and having one wouldn't even benefit him too much, would you still dismiss him?

• Yes, it does matter sometimes in Engineering. But I am into IT and software stuff, so I don't even need a masters. All I need is a laptop and internet connection, to prove my skills and talent.

• I don't really know avout IT, but in the classical engineering fields having a master's degree makes some difference.

• you don't have to be better than me education wise but at least match up with me... for some reason, I'm just not attracted to some kid whose still in high school or college finishing their bachelor's... it just seems they are way too young or immature.
    I'm myself in middle of finishing grad school

• Thank you, but if you read my description fully, you'd know that I did complete my bachelors long back, and have more than half a decade of industry experience.

• No, I work in the IT industry. I'm not in the US, since here it is ok to refer to it as an 'industry'. Most jobs in my field don't even specify tertiary qualifications as a 'requirement'. And in my career, I have worked with some people who didn't even have a high school diploma, but had amazing skills.
      Anyway, thanks for your honesty. Nothing wrong if you don't want to date people who aren't post graduates, but in my profession doing a masters does not really have benefits unless I want to pursue a career in teaching.

• good to know. but then it all depends on your personality. even if you're like top earning person in your industry, and I have no connection on personal level... i'm not gonna be attracted. And it doesn't matter if you have post-grad degree then.

• Im afraid we do like to date up. I know its a hypocritical double standard wanting to be treated equally in all things and for our partner to value us in a relationship but at the same time want a man who is both better and superior to us in nearly all things. I think thats why so many girls my age and in their twenties prefer older men at least five years older sometimes ten or fifthteen. But there it is sorry.

• So you would personally never consider dating a guy who was less educated than you, even if you were compatible with him in other ways?

• So basically forget everything feminism taught us?

• @Toad-1 its about giving women choices not forcing women to do what nen think the should do.

• Nope, I'm getting my masters in a year, but a man's level of education (beyond a high school diploma) doesn't bother me. I know guys that are really successful, hard workers who are less-educated, and it doesn't lower my interest at all.

• Great to know that you are openminded! :)

• I have a Bachelor's and only a few of my boyfriends had degrees, personally. Several of my friends have Masters and their hubs/boyfriends don't. I don't think it's too uncommon - especially as it seems a lot of female centric careers encourage Masters Degrees, like teaching. When other professions don't need it. Most of my guys have been tradesmen.

• My questions usually are:
      Do I get along with him?
      Do I want sex with him?
      Are our lifestyles and things we value compatible?

• Now that's a relief! Thanks!

• Why are you specifically looking for women who are more educated than you?

• No, I'm not 'looking' for women more educated than me. I just want to know if I need to exclude those women from my dating pool, if my chances with them are minimal.

What Guys Said 25

• I'm sorry, but this whole thing is preposterous. In fact, I'm not entirely sure this is serious.

You do realise that 'education', in a certain sense, is a joke right? ie it's a means of making you more efficient and knowledgeable in your specialism. It says little about your overall character, it doesn't even say a huge deal about your intelligence, beyond being academically inclined and in a higher than average percentile. It says little about wisdom, true critical thinking skills, myriad other interpretations of intelligence, other areas of knowledge. It doesn't mean you have any social capability, necessarily, nor that you can manage your affairs. A masters doesn't even necessarily mean you will command a higher salary in your field.

Ineligible to date? Think what you're saying. No two people are alike. And even if they are, a woman who rejects you on the basis of that, I mean, come on. Provided you are successful or comfortable in your field. You're likely self limiting and intimidated yourself. A masters, credit where credit is due. But let's not buy until this horseshit that it actually matters. It's just another means of separating humans and people deceiving themselves into thinking they are superior than others.

Masters my arse.

• To be very honest, a masters degree will NOT help me in my career, unless I plan to pursue a career in teaching (I certainly don't).

• While your degree might feel important now, it really won't be in the future when you get further into your career. Not all careers require masters or PHD yet can still take you far, if not further in terms of success and status which is ultimately what a lot of women would be attracted to from a man's career.

You'll get some doctors who have spent more time in university than some astronauts, but are they higher than astronauts? Not at all.

If you're passionate, goal orientated and know where you're heading in life that would be far more attractive to most women than if you have a master's degree or not. The only thing I would do is try not to date women in the same career field as me.

• Very insightful answer! I am quite reasonably positioned with regards to my career, and am working towards higher goals. And like you said, a masters in my profession does not even matter in the industry, it is only needed if I wish to pursue a teaching or academic career (which I don't).

I'm just curious to know, why do you suggest not dating women in the same profession? Of course, I'm completely against dating anyone from the same workplace, though.

• Just a personal opinion. Not saying there's a problem with it, I know lots of people have great relationships who work in the same area. I just feel it makes you too comparable to one another, especially if one is getting promotions and the other isn't... Or even worse there was a job vacancy somewhere that you both wanted. It also means that there's less fascination or interest with your career because they already know multiple people including themselves who are in the same field.

• Very valid point. Thanks! :)

• "It is a well known fact that women date up and men date down, with looks being an exception sometimes." That is not a FACT, it is your conclusion. Usually, when people say something like this, it is a lame excuse for why they have not had much success in dating. Is that true in this case?

• It's not a lame excuse. I haven't been completely unsuccessful in dating, although it's not like I can pull women left and right. Women who have a masters degree or higher have always turned me down, and the women who have agreed to date me in the past have all been those having a bchelor's degree, or something lower on the rung. It can't always be a coincidence, right?

• What a crock of shi*, I am blue collar high school graduate no college. I have mostly dated college educated professional women, with bachelor's, Master's and even a couple with Doctorate's.

I don't put women on pedestals, so I don't think any woman is out of my league. I do not measure my self worth, by my job or my paycheck and the college women I have dated have not either.

If you are interested in someone, ask her out and see what her response is. Instead of just assuming, she will reject you because she has a better degree than you hold.

• I am asking this question because almost every woman with a masters or above, who I asked out, has rejected me. The only relationships I have had are with women having a bachelor's or something less than that.

• I approach women in the same way, irrespective of their level of education. I have had reasonable success with women who hold a bachelor's or below, but not with those having a masters or above. And I am NOT specifically trying to target highly educated women. Not at all.

• You may think you are approaching women the same way, but I would put money on it that you act differently when you approach women you feel are more qualified.

No offence, but if you think and feel inferior. You show it, when you interact with the people you think are superior to you.

• Oh jesus. Im groaning here. You need money or a bit of paper saying what you know to feel any worth? You'll never get any women with that attitude. You should be your own number 1 fan and think you could pull anything. Women love confidence and a cheeky fucker who thinks he's the bee knees. If you like a women, and it doesn't matter if she's a supermodel and you're a tramp in the street, you gotta believe in yourself. We're human beings, not produce in a supermarket. Does this belong on that shelf, no its got a blue label it belongs down there... No danger. I've got ugly mates that have the most beautiful gfs and theyve come from nothing by the way. The difference was they were grounded and human. They believed in themselves and they were genuinely humble and funny and great to get along with. A guy like that is like a breath of fresh air to a woman when all she's used to is posers and fakes and boasters and other retards like them. What im trying to say is your born with all the tools to make it with women. Money and cars and phds and all that shit are for the empty and insecure

• You seem like the quintessential 'alpha male' (I somehow cringe at that word) who knows his shit, and can easily pull women left and right! Wow!

• Bang on son you must be psychic. Have a lollipop

• Most women major in a bachelor of art's related field. And if they did choose to pursue a master's, they're salary wouldn't exceed $75,000-$80,00\. Meanwhile, you can have an electrical/computer/chemical/aero engineer with only a bachelor's making $60,000 to $70,000 for a STARTING salary, and maxing out to $100,000+. As you can see, the letters behind your name in regards to degrees completed are insignificant if they're from a shitty field with low pay.

• I'm from a STEM field, so I know what you mean!

• Are you serious right now? Girls don't typically ask me if my GPA is above a 3.6 as a prerequisite for a date bro. I think you got some bigger issues that are preventing women from dating you if you have seriously convinced yourself in your head that this is what is holding you back.

• Yes I was serious because women these days seem to follow the rule "Men date down, women date up" to the book.

• I think that applies to marriage but man women aren't these distant creatures.. we are all human ahaha. I think the problem with a lot men your age is that they look at women as a prize rather then a just another person like you and me. They put them on the pedestal thinking I have be at this place in my life to win a girl over. You meet a girl.. you hook up with her.. you start opening up with her. If she is down as fck for you and you are down fck for her then you make it official man. You don't need an extensive resume to win a girls heart. That is a variable indeed but there are so many others. I think that would fall lower on the list. The girls that prioritize a masters degree and income as #1 on a list are the same women that will cheat on you and make you miserable. Just do you.. be a badass.. be confident.. work on yourself.. be unapologetic in who you are... and the right women will start to chase you.

• I always try to keep my credentials on the downlow with women. I don't say anything about my accomplishments until they come up. I have miliary tattoos that you could only really see when my shirt is off. First time end up getting intimate and start hooking up.. and I tell I was a Marine.. bro... can't tell you much that turns her on lol. I come off as a meathead and my vocabulary and physique would you think that I have IQ hovering right above room temperature. Then she finds out what I'm doing in college and I tell her I'm a 3rd engineering student and it turns them on like crazy. It's because you didn't brag.. you were confident without those achievements and casually said it like it was nothing. Since you acted like it was nothing and kept from her all of a sudden she is thinking about you all the time and you become mystery that she is interested.

• No, I have a BS and I was with a Ph. D. for five years. We earned about the same money and I had no problem talking to her about her work. Just forget about their academic experience and focus on their personality. Generally people who have advanced degrees don't look down others. It's just another way through life.

• So you never felt inferior or anything when you were with her? More importantly, did she ever make you feel inferior to her?

• Not at all. Everyone has insecurities, even the most accomplished. Don't worry about it at all. If you are interest in someone, ask her out. She may be thrilled.

• Thanks a lot!

• Just to highlight the education gap, I've seen female doctors and lawyers dating (and marrying) plumbers and truck drivers. Anything is possible as long as the feelings are mutual.

• Good to know that, it encourages me a bit!

• I think the assumption that women primarily care about whether you have a bachelor's or a master's is more likely to make you ineligible than the lack of said masters degree. In the end, a degree is just a piece of paper.

• I would REALLY like to believe that a degree is just a piece of paper! The reason i asked this question is, whenever I have approached women more educated than me, they have turned me down. Almost all women I have dated though, were either as qualified as me or lesser. I don't know if it was just a coincidence, though.

• I'd say coincidence. I mean, a master's in linguistics or poetry won't get you far either way.

• To my experience, men will more easily date down than women will. But I have known women doing it.

• "Does this automatically make me 'ineligible' to pursue women who have more education than a bachelor's degree?"

No.

• If I were you I wouldn't care all if thee things. Playing with this thought is what keeps you back.

Just say to yourself "I see, I like, I peruse her". And that attitude is all you need.

• No, you're not. I've seen guys who flunked out of high school who became self-made millionaires, since they didn't sit still and busted their asses to get where they are.

• I do understand, but are women even willing to give a chance to someone less educated than them, AND is not a millionaire?

• You have to date at your level or down. Woman only want stuff who can bring something to the table 9/10 times.

Its in their DNA and u know it or you be asking this questions or having doubts.

• You don't have a chance, when you think you're inadequate.

• wow you think stupidly
    I'm not even rich, if I want I can go fuck a doctor
    and what does a job have to do with getting women

• also one of my friends would only date skinny girls, and a decent or pretty face
      he is now in a relationship with a BIG girl, and they have been together for years
      something was wrong with all those skinny bitches, for him too end up with a BIG girl
      im 100% sure, cause he can get girls

• Yea I feel like that too I said yes.

• So you feel it's true?

• Irrelevant.

• No rules, mate. Do what you can and who you like.

• It's more about your heart rather than the paper you have.

• My SO has a doctorate and her own page in Wikipedia. I don't. It's never been an issue.

• I run into a similar problem myself...

I ended up going into industry right after high school and quickly got a good paying job...

I would love to have a smart girl, but they just don't seem to be into me...

Plus they have lots of experience talking to boys, being social perhaps boyfriend and or hook up experience.

They want a smart guy back, someone witty, with a respectable job... Honestly I don't see these kind of girls attracted to blue collar workers.

I am really sad myself, I stopped pursing girls with more education than myself because they are not into me...

• You've left academia and are in the real world.

Your paycheck matters more than your degrees.

If you have a bachelors in comp eng and pull down 200k, you'll probably be helping pay down her student loans in her masters in XYZ 'studies' if you get married.

If you have a bachelor's in film and she's corporate lawyer, hope she thinks you're an 'artist' or you're toast.

• Haha, I am indeed in Comp Eng, but 200k? No way, because I'm not in Silicon Valley, and not even in the US. The wages here are shitty, but still my profession pays better than most others.

• It was just an example ;)

Yeah, going beyond bachelors in comp eng is very unusual, its industry experience that matters beyond that point. At your age, from a 'status' standpoint, most women are in your league, unless they date nothing but lawyers, consultants, I-bankers or doctors.

• If you aren't making more paper than them most women will next you.