Can language be a barrier between 2 people dating if their native languages are different? Can it still work out?

I started seeing this guy over a month ago. We get along well, and we seem to understand each other... But, I don't think he says all he wants to because he can't, or he keeps it more basic, since his English is good but not great. He fishes for words, misuses some, etc. Of course I know he's trying his best and it's not like I think less of him. It's mostly just at times difficult to communicate. He moved here from Columbia a year and a half ago, he speaks fluent Spanish and lives in a Hispanic community so he normally speaks Spanish here in the US too. He does know English well and speaks in full sentences, but his vocab is limited and his tenses are sometimes off (like did you ate well? Did you arrived?) or he doesn't understand English phrases, more complicated words, Etc. I feel like we have similar personalities and likes but the communication is off because he speaks select English and I speaks below well Spanish.

Can it still work out? How could we make it better?

Thank you guys! Your answers give me reassurance

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, communication is definitely important in a relationship but I think it can work out as long as both people are willing to put in the effort and learn their partners language. With time, you can communicate better and better. If you get along otherwise and have similar likes and interests, I see no reason why you can't work it out. You could probably help each other work on your language skills, which could be fun. :)

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 8

• My boyfriend doesn't speak perfect English either, all you have to do is help him along and teach him what you can. He'll pick it up just from talking with you.

• Yes, ths can work. I have two couples I'm friends with in this situation, one has been married for years.

• No, as long as you can still communicate and understand eachother

• Nah i don't mind if he can't speak Georgian, as long as we can communicate with each other in other languages.
    I am 99.9% sure that it can still work.

• He'll improve in time. Keep the communication going and like the other poster said, teach him the correct words/sentences little by little.

• I wouldn't date a person who don't talk my language cause it's too troublesome. So i think it's a problem

• Yes. I know couples where they could communicate even less and it worked. As long as you both put in effort.

• It can work but you'll have to work hard to find a way to communicate effectively