I have a very hard time sharing my feelings. How can I open up?

I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and have yet to really tell him how I feel. I have always had a hard time expressing myself. I hold all my feelings in (good and bad), which is not healthy, I know. I am not a shy person but I get extremely nervous when I'm face to face with him and he asks me how I feel. I start mumbling my words and end up saying a fraction of what I really wanted to. He's been so patient with me and I owe it to both of us to say how I feel I just don't know how to. I tried writing down everything I wanted to say to him, which was so easy, and then I sat down and tried to say those words out loud to my dog. Not even a third of way there and I was already stumbling over my words and tearing up. I don't know how I'm ever gonna be able to say it to him when I can't even say it to my dog. :(

What Guys Said 1

• How about writing them down and giving the paper to him and let him read it. Nothing wrong with this and it gets everything you want to say out. In time, after you do this for a while you'll get more relaxed and comfortable with him and it will get easier to talk to him and share your feelings with him.

• That's what I was thinking. Maybe write it down, tell him I was gonna do my best to SAY it to him, but still give him the letter in case I got too nervous and didn't say all I wanted to say. But I just don't want him to think I'm being immature.

• He won't if you explain this to him. Just say, "it's very hard for me to talk about my feelings, I wrote them down, do you mind if I just give it to you to read?" He might even want to do the same with you? Lots of guys have trouble talking about their feelings also.

What Girls Said 1

• Put it in a letter! Write it down, it's something he can have with him always to remind him how you feel :)