Who pays?

When you're on a date, who generally pays for everything?

When you're hanging out (one on one) with a friend of the opposite sex, who pays?

Most Helpful Guy

• Date: The person who planned the date and picked the location should pay. Logically speaking, they picked/planned it with their own budget in mind and don't really know whether or not the other person's budget can accommodate what they chose. Therefore they must be willing to pay for the other person. Of course it is POLITE to offer to pay for yourself when you're being treated. If I was taking a girl out on a date, even if I was planning on paying I would like to see her at least offer to pay her way. If she doesn't it's unlikely she would get a second date.

Friends hanging out: Everyone pays for themselves.

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with WeaponZero. You will find you will spend more time with your significant other when you are willing and wanting to take equal responsibility. You will get a lot more respect for it as well. The old adage that a guy should pay for everything is bogus and if you follow it be prepared to be dateless, be treated like property rather then a partner, or have a lot of dates that are long walks on the "free" beach. In these hard economic times with guys unemployed, looking for work, and/or returning to school to change careers, if you believe a guy should pay for everything, then you should get use to crying your eyes out over a gallon of ice cream. Good luck.

• If it makes any difference. I'm the one who's unemployed and in grad school, while he works full time. I don't believe that the guy should pay all the time, but most of the time

• While you may not have much capacity to contribute, you should try to contribute when you can and should plan dates with a budget in mind and show him you can be a trooper about it. He will appreciate that you are taking him into consideration and when you have “real” dates he will probably go the extra mile to treat you.

• If you don't consider the fact that he needs to play within his budget and that currently raises are nonexistent, people that are working are working longer for less, and that inflation is running rampant then you risk projecting the idea that he is your meal ticket and getting dropped for using him or being treated like an object.

• Date: guys.

Hanging out : everyone pays for themselves, unless it's a special occasion (birthday, celebrating a new job) and one person is treating the other.

One the same note, one of my friends always wants to pay, but I don't let her. Sometimes I'll pick up the whole check just to get the point across. When she pays, it feels like she's trying to gain dominance.

• She pays. All the time. I don't pay for sh*t. I don't spend money on girls, it's not a good investment. You know you're a real player when your girl is spending everything she has on you.

In terms of friends, I don't have any friends of the opposite sex. All my buddies are guys I grew up with/go to school with/play sports with. The only relationships I have with girls are sexual ones.

• id like the girl to pay...if she works...and I'm unemployed...

What Girls Said 2

• if you're on a date the guy should pay, if you're just hanging out with friends or one on one with a guy who's your friend then you both should pay separately. Even though I have guy friends who if they have the extra money and whatever I got wasn't too much (coffee or if I ate something that wasn't that expensive) they'll pay.

• I think they should pay individually. The guy would only be paying if there was something more than a friendship between the two.

• I agree with you but sometimes it's just awkward to pay for yourself when you're on a date. Like if you went to the movies, it's kinda weird to pay for yourself, move aside and wait for him to buy his ticket.

• Oh sorry I read the question wrong. If it's a date, the guy should pay(in most cases at least). But sometimes its not a bad idea to sometimes take turns on who pays for both. : ) Just remember sometimes he may want more from you, especially if he's treating you. Hope that helps.