Dating a younger guy?

Hi! So I like a guy who is 2.3 years younger (I will be 25 he will be 23). It’s not as if it would influence my decision, but do you think such an age difference really matters?

Please help, and don’t hold back your true opinion. Maybe I'm too picky, but I have always preferred older guys and turned down younger ones. I look younger than my age so I meet younger guys. OK and I'm black he is white but the race thing doesn't bother me its just the age that makes me uncomfortable. Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's just the age that you're worried about, to a guy 2.3 years wouldn't really mean much. I think for most guys it only would really matter as you approach 6 years and it also depends on how you look. If you look the same age as him, or even younger I doubt he'd have a problem with it. In fact the chance he would have a problem with age is so slim that it's almost not even worth talking about.

The thing with a guy dating and older girl though is that you have to sort of act as though you're younger. Age is really just a number and what freaks guys out about an older woman is that she might have more life experience than he does. He'll think things like, oh she's smarter than me, she's probably better in bed than I am, I don't want to look stupid around her by comparison.

How do you solve this problem? Just play the role of being younger, make him feel like he's the wise and experienced one. Don't do it to the point where you come across as fake though, that will just turn him off. Be yourself and just focus on trying not to intimidate him by coming off as having too much life experience.

What Guys Said 1

• It is funny that you mention this topic. I was at a wedding this weekend and ran into a friend of my sister's. She is about five years older than me; I'm about to be 25, she is either 29 or 30. Anyways she got to talking about how grown up I looked and how it was funny that once you get above 21 everyone is the same. You hang out in the same group, have the same friends. She said if she would have known how I would have been when we were young she would have tried something on me. Of course I took this as a joking manner cause she is married to a great guy and has a daughter, but I got her point. After a period of growing up, everyone is pretty much at the same maturity level. So yes I say go for it. Age is not a factor after you and your interest is over 18 but especially after the age of 21. It is like that reality show at one time where they had women in their 20s and women in their 40s compete for a man in his 30s.

What Girls Said 6

• I have dated guys younger than me and I don't let it bother me of influence my decision, but I've found that every guy I've dated younger than me has turned out to be quite immature and in the long run that is why all of my relationship with younger guys have not worked. Then again I'm only 17 so the guys that I dated that were younger were still were going through that "high schooler phase." I would think the older you get, the less age difference really has an affect on relationships. Since he's only 2 years younger and you two are both older and more mature I think things should work out just like any other relationship. It all depends on the chemistry between you two, not the age. All you can do is try, and if it doesn't work, there's many more guys out there :)

• I'm married to a younger guy. Only by 1 year. Or. well. .99 years, lol. Or something like that. We got together when I was 19 and he was 18. Now I'm 28 and he is 27. Like everyone has said, once you get to this age it doesn't really matter when there is a bit of a difference. The point is that you do like him. So give it a shot! Worst thing that happens is you can't get past it and the relationship doesn't work out. But EVERY relationship runs that risk! You won't know until you try.

• The age difference is totally not an issue. If you were like 10 years his senior, then ,that would be an issue but the age difference doesn't matter, as long as you both like each other then just go for it. As the saying goes, " Age ain't nothing but a number!" So just go look beyond this and enjoy yourself.

• i dunno, that's not that much of an age difference. to me age doesn't matter once your out of high school.

• i don't think you should let age influence u. I have dated guys a year younger than me. its not a big deal if you have the same kinda of mentality and maturity

• Honey...that is NOT an age difference. I'm 42 and the guy I have been dating for over a year now is 27. It's one of the best relationships I have ever had.