Any advice for meeting my boyfriend's son for the first time?

Tomorrow I'm meeting my boyfriend's 5 year old son for the first time. Any advice? We are going to hang out at a day campground by a lake.

He's moving really fast, should I be worried?

Most Helpful Guy

• Bringing him a little gift (ask your boyfriend what he likes) might work, but know you will likely be rejected, at best, at first! he won't understand at that age, and the best thing is to introduce yourself, maybe offer that little gift, but don't be offended if he rejects it, and you, at first. Be patient, and just be there. At some point, he will need help, or have some crisis, and his dad won't be there. If you are, and make it 'all better' you are TOTALLY IN!!
    It takes a lot of time with kids.
    I've known my little nephew since before he could even figure out who I was. Still, sometimes, he just ignores me, because I am not mom or dad.
    Just recently, he has started to like some 'science' things, and his dad has told him that I KNOW SCIENCE!!
    He called me 'Uncle Science Dave' last time!! Oh. . . has to make your heart melt!!

Most Helpful Girl

• Hey firstly good luck and I thought from experience hang back don't try to hard let him be with daddy and you are more a presence in the background, please don't be offended by this advice. At five he's only used to his mum really, obviously I don't know how long the parents were together if long enough he remembers them together even more important. It's tough your situation but you obviously care a lot to be on here so well done you, take time and just let him come to you and this may take some time xx

What Guys Said 4

• Maybe get him a cool present -- something a bit bad-ass like an action figure (awesome one with armor and weapons and things like that and maybe a gun that fires pellets or a laser gun that makes sounds) or a hand-held game or like a stupid plastic helmet that plays sounds and flashes lights, that sort of thing.

It's critical that the present is bad-ass and not lame.

Might sound superficial but it'll help you connect to him if you get him a cool present he likes that's cool.

• Just be a normal person. Don't make a big deal about it, just say hello and treat him like anyone else. Like "Hi Sam, I'm it's nice to meet you." Don't ask a bunch of questions, just be cool and let him talk to you when he's ready.

• Sounds like that should be fun.

• That's so cute
    Good luck
    Just be nice and patient

What Girls Said 5

• Don't try too hard. As in talk to the child but if he's not bothered don't force him. Also if you know he likes something give him a related gift.

• Just be nice and funny, get him a little toy car or something (ask your boyfriend what he likes) oh or get him candy?

• You could say to the boy the test results have confirmed I am not your mother jk
    don't play mother just treat him like company but on the kids level

• How do you feel about little boys girls got a history with little boys a lot of healing from their childhood how do you feel about boy children

• Just be sweet, he's a kid. Treat him like he's your own child or a nephew.