I AM 16 and in 10th grade! Would it be okay for me to date an 8th grader?

please don't delete this question. I am 16. I'm in 10th grade. not 8th grade.

I met this girl a few months ago. We talked a little bit, but nothing serious or anything. But recently, like today. She started texting me and texting me and texting me and TEXTING ME, she still is now actually.

I'm a 10th grade guy and I'm 16, and she's an 8th grader and I'm not sure how old she is. She is suuuuuper flirty with me, and we are going to hang out next Friday. I guess it's a date because she's not bringing anyone else, and neither am i. we're gonna see a movie and hang out at the mall.

But the problem is that, I'm not sure if I should be getting into this with an 8th grader. I think people might give me crap about it, but she's really cool, outgoing and bubbly. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! I'm confused. Especially since there is another girl in my grade who I like, but I don't think she likes me. I kinda like this 8th grader, but I also kinda like the other girl that's my age. But I don't think the sophomore girl likes me, but I'm 99.999999% sure that the 8th grader likes me. I don't think anyone can tell that she's an 8th grader, because she looks like a freshman. So... what do you think? I kinda like both of those girls.

btw, her friend is in 7th grade, and she's dating a 12th grader. lol

but her friend looks like she's 15-17.
oops. I meant 11 grader. But still that's kinda bad.,

Most Helpful Girl

• ...Okay...

This my opinion so don't feel offended if I happen to say something that you may not agree with. =)

I think she is too young, honestly. Yes it is only two years difference, which isn't bad considering the fact that you aren't after a ten year old. But most kids at that age just date, to have a boyfriend because they think its the "cool" thing to do.

She may very well like you, but I think she still has a bit of growing up to do, if you are looking to share a serious relationship with her. If you also just want to date her, to have a girlfriend then I suppose that is alright? But make sure first what she wants so that you do not end up leading her on and breaking her heart.

I believe both of you should just enjoy life and have guy, and girl friends, but not literally dating in a sense. I made a decision for myself to not date while I was in high school and it has honestly saved myself a LOT of heartbreak and nights in front of the tellie watching titanic and eating a bunch of ice cream. =)

The age difference is okay, so I find no issue with that. But don't just date, because you want a girlfriend. You should make sure you actually LIKE her, and not because the other girl in your grade doesn't like you and you know you are "safe" knowing this grade 8 likes you. If you date someone, you must never be ashamed of her. So who cares what people are going to say about you two dating because of what grade she is in. That is their own immaturity.

I hope you make the right decision. Good Luck.

=)

• Still not sure. I'm still chasing after the girl in my grade(not literally). :/

best answer yet. :)

• Well I think you should sit back and relax about it. There is really no need to rush into it so don't stress.

Everything will straighten out in the end!

=)

• I wouldn't be so sure. Things don't just work out like that. Especially since a bunch of guys like the girl in my grade also.

I have a feeling it's just gonna end out just like last time... I'll still be single.

GAG Video of the Day

10 Things Guys Wish Girls Would Stop Doing

What Girls Said 39

• no. date someone your own age. you're in hs, she's still in middle school

• But the only girl I like in my grade doesn't like me.

• Well if she's in 8th grade she's like what, 13 14? I really don't think age is a huge deal or issue. I'm 16 too and in 10th grade and at my school age doesn't really matter. If I were you I'd hang out for now and wait until she's at least a freshmen. That way it's less awkward, still awkward but less. If you do decide to get into anything with her take it slow. A lot of girls go out with guys a few years older then them and think it's cool and act 'grown up' but really they just hurt themselves. I'm not saying that's the case here but it is common and something to think about.

• I think it is really up to you and her, but if you are planning on making things serious or doing anything other then kissing then you should see how her parents feel. At your age what the parents thinks makes a difference especially sense she is under age. When it comes to both girls it's really up to you. You can always just date and see where things go, but make sure you discuss where you stand. Dating: just each other or also others. This may be late but good luck.

• no, 8th grade and 10th grade may only be a few years apart, but mentally, emotionally, and maturity wise it's a huge leap. it doesn't matter how old her friend 'looks', by dating a senior she's losing so much of her childhood, yes 7th and 8th graders are still children. and even though the age difference isn't as drastic as her friends relationship, you would still be forcing her to grow up faster then necessary... but that's just my opinion, do as you please.

• hey! I think you should go for it, you should not care what people think.

Good Luck!

More from Girls
34

What Guys Said 21

• It could definitely be considered "treading on thin ice", but only because you're both young. On the other hand, something to remember is that girls mature faster than guys at that point in their lifetime. So, a lot of times, you tend to see freshman girls dating senior guys. This is because of that maturity gap. Now, I don't suggest doing much more than dating or hanging out. This means no sex or anything (this age gap can be a very bad thing at a young age).

About choosing which girl to chase after: that's got to be your decision... there is one thing I figure I could leave you with in that aspect... Whoever you chase, just be yourself. I mean, who else is better qualified :-D

Bottom line: dating her is sort of flirting with the edge, but if you really like her, there's not much avoiding it. There are a million different ways this could go.

• Yea, definently no sex. That's illegal unless we're BOTH 16+.

I'm gonna go to the movies with her and hang out to find out if I really do like her.

I'm still not sure if the girl in my grade that I like likes me though. She flirts with a lot of guys, I don't know if she's playing hard to get or if she just doesn't like me. I mean she says hi and smiles, but that's it.

• Well, first, I don't know about your state, but my state it's sixteen with parents permission (and it's still a really sketchy deal because the parents can change their mind at any time).

Also, people flirt. Harmless flirting is okay... but when it comes down to it, you need to be able to draw the line.

• I believe a 8th grade girl is about 11-12. Don't get involved in this my friend. You may enjoy the attention from a girl, but that age is not going to fair well on any front what so ever. Focus yourself on 16-18 girls. They are way more in your ball park.

• What the hell? 8th grade girls are 13-14. Dude. are you serious? what planet are you from? hahah

• I was 12 in 8th grade. It all depends when your birthday is. And what planet am I from? You're the one asking if it's ok if you date a girl in 8th grade while you are 16. Anyone from planet earth would know that it's not acceptable and it shouldn't be done.

• Not when 8th graders are teenagers. it's only two grades down. Juniors date freshmen all the time. It's the same age difference.

The only 12 year old that would get into 8th grade would have to be a mega genius who skipped 2 grades. Unless you've skipped two grades, then what kind of 8th grade are you talking about?

• First chemistry and no mathematics? Why do we have to resort to a life time of numbers to sufficiently idolize how happy and content we could be with someone. It's maturity not majority that matters. If she can keep up with you on certain things, then I say why not. However, if she looks below the average of an 8th grader. And you look above the average of an 10th grader, then for the love of god you are screwed.

But age doesn't matter, and grade is only an average of age, therefore both do not matter. She's probably just two years younger than you. But if she looks younger than 14, it maybe a problem. For OTHER PEOPLE to except the idea.

• You should find out her age first. Grade doesn't mean anything.

I would say is she is less than 2 years younger than you, its ok, but take it real slow. I mean, in a few months she will be a freshman right?

But over two years at your age is pushing it, and you might just want to leave that be. Doesn't matter if she likes you, its just probably not a good idea.

• Yeps. She'll be a freshman and I'll be a junior.

• She'll be 14 in july though. I just turned 16 two months ago.

• Well I didn't know how much you liked her or what haha

I just really think that's a bad idea. Because, its not just a number. You can keep telling yourself that it is, or that she is mature, but there is a line, and you are dancing on it.

Its true that the difference between 23 and 26 year olds doesn't mean anything at all, and I know its not fair, but I think you should just wait a bit on that one.

• I say if she really likes you and the girl that you like in your grade is not being so outgoing and trying to get you like this girl is, I'd go for the girl that wants to try and get you.

And who knows maybe it'll spark the girl in your grade, if she has any feelings at all for you, to try and get you. :]

More from Guys
16