Is it okay for an 18 year old to date a 17 year old?

The 18 year old in this case is me, a FEMALE. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
The 17 year old is HIM.

And so basically, there is this 17 year old dude who comes to my work a lot to cash his checks. (He has a job, which is why he cashes the checks), and at first he kept ending up coming to me to cash them by accident, just because he always came later in the night, and a lot of times I work mildly later shifts. (Never past 11 though, but by 10:30 ish most the other cashiers have long gone home, so they only have two lanes open because that's all that is needed).
But then this guy continued to come to my lane, even when there was someone in front of him at my lane, and the other cashier was open. Every time he comes over he flirts relentlessly, and it's gotten to the point that he just shows up at random times with like one item (usually something like a soda that he could have easily gotten from a vending machine in the front), and waits in line, and asks me out on a date. Every, single, time. I actually do kinda like him, but he's a full year younger than me. (I know this because I have to see his ID when I cash his checks and yeah, it's on his license).

So would it be okay to accept him on a date even though I'm 18 (a legal adult) and he's still just 17?

Most Helpful Guy

• OMG, I really can't understand why it is such an issue in America, I really can't. It's just one year! It's absolutely nothing! Of course it's okay. If the gap was 2 or 3 years it would be okay too. Just because a piece of paper says that a 17 is a minor it doesn't mean that they're unable to what older people do, this is bullshit.

I know that there are legal issues depending on where you live, but dating isn't sex and it doesn't necessarily have to involve it. So, if you wanna date him: do it. He'll be 18 soon anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol... it's a year, I think you're fine. He's 17 not 7.

What Guys Said 16

• Thete's likely no problem because of the closeness in age. The law factors that in...

• I don't see anything wrong with the age difference but in some states its illegal for an adult (over 18) to have sex with someone under 18. If you just date and do not have sex its not illegal but I wouldn't get in any situations where there might be an appearance that you were or could have sex, for instance parked in a car in some lovers lane spot. It would be best to stay in public places around other people so there wouldn't be any reason for suspicions.

• Yes it's fine and it's probably not even illegal (probably I don't know where you are but I doubt it won't be legal)

• yeah why not.

• Its fine

• It is fine as long as nothing sexual happens.

• Yeah. A 1 year age difference isn't a big deal at alp

• Sounds okay to me.

• Yes. In most places the age of consent is 16 or 17. So its legal

• Sure, why not? He'll be 18 soon.

• Go crazy bro.

• OMG! You pedophile!

You're both teenagers, it's just a year, relax it's fine.

• Yes, it's okay. That's like not nothing

• its fine its only one year. in fact atm im going out with someone 2 years older than me lol!

• I like you, too.

• It's absolutely fine to date.

Whether it's legal to have sex depends where you are. In most places yes, but in a few states, the answer would be no.

• Well I'm not really aiming for sex anyway, I've always just wanted to wait for marriage, so I guess that's good.

What Girls Said 2

• I was 19 dating a 16 year old lol and he's now my fiancee

• yeah sure