Should I really be feeling insecure about this? would you?

in high school i met this guy who seemed to like me but i had a boyfriend so i didn't pay much attention to him just saw him as a friend, but then after we graduated we somehow still stayed in touch and would see each other ones in a while and one thing lead to another, we are dating now. he told me that he did like me when we just met and that my appearance really grabbed his attention and that he found me to be really attractive. to be honest i wasn't surprised at all because i get that a lot and i very rarely have trouble attracting guys but still it was nice to hear and he still constantly compliments me all the time, BUT the thing is that while we were friends and he was really open with me, to the point where he talked about who he found attractive (like celebrities and random instagram girls), they were always either hispanic (like him) or white with darker features. he at one point even said that tan skin is better then white skin. well guess what. i have pale skin, blond hair, blue eyes. i've always been proud of my features because well why shouldn't someone feel proud of how they look? but for the first time, in a way i feel insecure. he doesn't talk about other girls now of course because we're dating now and yeah he's always telling me im beautiful and this and that, but i've been his friend i've seen what he likes. i dont know what to think of it all.

thank you for your responses. i talked about it with him and he told me he never really noticed that he has a preference, he was just used to darker features because thats whats common in his country (he moved to America about 3 years ago) and said he's never been with someone like me but that he was attracted to me right away and couldnt believe that i was even thinking this way because he does find me really beautiful and apparently is constantly bragging about me to his friends
and talking to his brother about me nonstop, thinking about our future and is always thinking about me in general. i feel much better now and all your responses have helped as well

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't understand. Why do you feel insecure? He told you he likes girls with dark skin and you have pale skin. You are obviously NOT his type of girl, PERIOD. I would understand if you had reasons to doubt, but it's pretty clear here. Understand that you cannot possibly be beautiful for everybody. Understand that you are beautiful for lots of men. Now with that said, the fact that you are not his type doesn't mean he cannot appreciate your beauty. If he says you are beautiful, then you better believe he does think so. There would be no point to lying. Better to just say nothing.
    None of the women I have loved have been my type. I loved them nonetheless.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can understand this a bit. I had a friend like that in high school. He was so open with me about what and who he was attracted to that sometimes I would feel insecure about little things he would say. I never wanted anything with him but it still got to me. I summed it up as me wanting him to only think of me and waiting him to boost my ego lol

What Guys Said 1

• Well i guess it goes to show that even with his preferences, he likes you for more than just your looks. You should be ecstatic not insecure.

What Girls Said 2

• People's types can change depending on the person. I mean you probably have a type that you haven't always gone for but liked them for different reasons

• maybe he didn't want u to notice at that time that he liked him, , , supposing that he liked you a lot