Is it ok for a girl to text after a first date?

I went on a date with a guy who just got out of a long-term relationship - I am the first girl who he's gone out with since the breakup.

It was a casual date - just food, drinks and a lot of talking, lasting almost four hours. He said that he was surprised at how well the date went, and said he would call me soon when we headed out.

The date was on Saturday and I still haven't heard from him. Is it okay to text him first to thank him for the date or should I let him take his time? I want to him that I'm interested but also respect the fact that he also just got out of a relationship.

What Guys Said 1

• Normally I would say yeah be nice if the girl did. If it's been this long he may not be interested. Or playing it very cool, may as well send a quick one. If he's going to take forever because he's not ready, it won't work out anyway.

What Girls Said 2

• It sounds like the date went really well, so I think it's perfectly fine to text him. If he is truly interested, he'll feel happy to hear from you.

He did say he'd call you soon, and probably meant that. He's probably waiting for the right time to do so, like after he's thought up a date idea or something. But still, there's absolutely no harm in thanking him through text. It's up to you.

• Yes, he may be waiting to see if you text. It shouldn't always be left up to the guy to initiate contact. I'd initiate after a first date if I liked him and wanted to see him again.