Age difference in dating?

A family friend of mine who is 19 is dating a 16 year old girl. Is that weird? I know they're not sexually active as both of them are raised in a strong Christian family, the girl even wears a purity ring. But some people react to it weirdly whereas others are fine with it. It's probably because the guy is an adult and she isn't but would you consider it weird?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not that weird. Is it a good idea? That's a different question.

• Would you say it is a bad idea?

• I wouldn't want my daughter doing it in today's society. If we were in a preindustrial society that'd be different

• That is true. Times have changed a lot

Most Helpful Girl

• For one, just because she wears a purity ring and that they're both raised in strong Christian families doesn't mean they're not sexually active. I know many couples like that and they did not wait till marriage. Doesn't mean they aren't waiting for that, but doesn't mean they haven't waited.

The age gap isn't a problem. 3 years isn't much. The main problem people have with it is that he is legally and adult and she isn't legally an adult. But it also depends on the culture you are in. Estonia now has the lowest marriage age in Europe with teenagers able to get hitched at 15 with parental approval. Globally, the average legal age of marriage for boys is 17 and 16 for girls but many countries permit them, particularly girls, to marry much younger. Muslims are permitted to get married at 16 for men and 12 for girls and Hindus at 18 and 14 (with parental consent).

Meanwhile, the likes of Brazil, Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador and Colombia all have its laws on sexual consent set at 14. And in some countries - such as Chile - the minimum age of consent is 14, but there are legal restrictions on sexual activities up to the age of 18, and homosexual sex is illegal before that age. And many countries have laws where if there is a 5 year difference or less between the two individuals that if the younger one is 14 or 15 and has no dependency on the relationship and both consensual, it is legal for intercourse. Which goes against most people's knowledge of "he's over 18 and she's not so it's wrong". The problem with it mainly lies with the "adult dating a non-adult" which is ironic considering that there are laws protecting minors but not exempting themselves from making their own decisions based on laws.

• You are right, they very well may be sexually active but people wouldn't find it as weird if they got married, but find it weird that they are dating. Thanks for all the information!

• It's that she's a minor and he's an adult

• If she's old enough to decide to date, what makes it so wrong that its someone a few years older or the same age as her? She's not going after men twice or three times her age, she's not hiding the fact she's dating. She's not hiding who he is, she's not hiding that she's with him. So what's wrong with her dating someone 3 years older than her? Would you prefer her dating a 16 year old she does not have any feelings for just because there's no age gap?

What Guys Said 16

• Its a big difference, but girls seem to mature more than boys at those ages so not too bad. that they aren't being physical is probably very wise.

• Not weird to me.

• I dont think its a big difference. If they stay together into adulthood he will be 30 and she would be 27. doesn't seem too strange at all. Three years just seems a big difference when people are young

• Three years is not a big difference at all.

Obviously at that age 3 years means a lot more, but I don't think it's too weird, though.

• Yes. Yet it would be more weird if they were both 1 year younger

• Yeah, definitely. If it was my daughter, I wouldn't be against it, but I'd keep an eye on them.

• I'd be quite concerned

• 3 years age difference? It's nothing. I've read about purity ring thing and it's really weird. The only safe sex is no sex at all 🙈

• huh i think its wrong for the 19 year old due to the vast difference in maturity.. However i can't say much i *dated* a 19 year old recently soo feel free to dismiss my opinion.

• You have to consider that girls age with maturity faster than boys do aswell

• yes i have but still she's to young in my opinion

• Nope not weird. Its whatever. She dating a 30 something year old thats a different story

• 3 years is perfectly fine and normal and legal in most countries. Nothing wrong or weird about it.

• Not weird. Fucking lol at people saying yes. It's 3 years

• That's legal in most places. Not weird but not my thing..

• Well I like a girl who just turned 18 and she is a year and 6 months older than me I'm 17 getting ready to be 17 in September

• No I don't think so

• No it is not weird for me..

• It's not weird.

• A little weird, but not unheard of.
    Half your age plus 7 years.

• 3 years is fine. She is ok if she is at or above the age of consent.

What Girls Said 5

• It is a bit concerning given the fact that he's 19. But as long as their is no discrepancies going on in their relationship and it is approved by the parents, then it should be okay. Just continue to monitor the relationship at all times. And find out what are their intentions for dating. A purity ring is no guarantee that their won't be any sexual activity. Purity starts from the heart with the promise to God, not on a ring or a certificate. You know how many people still have sex with the ring on? Because it wasn't true in their hearts.

• I'm 22. I will be 23 on July 31.

My boyfriend is 20 and will be 21 on September 6.

We have been dating since I was 18 and he was 16. So at one point I was 19 and he was 16. So by default, I cannot find that situation weird because I have been in that situation.

• I think it's okay as long as he isn't abusing the fact that she is young, and it's clear to both of them what their morals and stuff are.

• I don't think it's weird. It's just a 3 year difference, it's not a big deal.

• It's not weird, it's a mere 3 year age difference