Have you ever dated someone you considered "out of your league"?

Just a question inspired after watching the movie "She's out of my league" ;)

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't believe in the "league" thing

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe in leagues. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Leagues are just a way to let other people have opinions on your relationship, a way for them to discuss if the guy and girl are equally hot. Other people's opinions don't matter whatsoever, my future boyfriend will always be the hottest in my eyes, and people can think whatever they want, that won't have anything to do with our relationship 💁🏻

Most Helpful Guy

• No one dates out of their league. It's human nature. I can prove it. Would you date a homeless guy? Of course you wouldn't. Why? You're out of his league. If you're in a relationship with someone who you believe is out of your league, rest assured you are not. They wouldn't be dating you if they were.

For example, a hot woman might be over-emotional and insecure. An equally hot guy would probably reject her opting for another hot woman who is not so crazy and less needy, where as a less attractive guy may be willing to put up with that needy behavior rather than date a woman who is less attractive.

Or another example. A guy who is ripped with 6 pack abs but is extremely feminine and shy around women would probably be rejected by equally hot women who wants a guy who is both ripped and confident. A less attractive woman might be willing to put up with his lack of confidence instead of dating a guy who is less attractive.

Neither is right or wrong. Everyone has different strengths and weakness to offer in a relationship and everyone values them a little differently. The key is to 1, always be improving yourself, and 2, look for people who value the same things you do. For example, if you have a passion for circus performing finding a partner who also has a passion for circus performing will make them more likely to overlook other areas where you might be lacking, and vice versa. Follow those two rules and you will maximize the quality of partner you are able to attracted.

What Girls Said 38

• I don't think that there should be such things as leagues. If anything it just makes people feel bad about themselves. Mismatched coupling happens all the time! There is nothing wrong with it if both parties are happy. I think we need to stop assuming people are settling just because we think the couple is mismatched. Perhaps they are both over the moon about each other?

I think we all have an idea of what our league is. But why let that have so much bearing on who we date? You can date whoever you want, as long as they want to date you too!

• Leagues are entirely psychological. I dated a guy "below my league" and we were good, he became more attractive as I fell for him. I then dated a guy I felt was out of my league, but seemed to be totally infatuated with me and I thought I was out of his league. He became more attractive and perfect to me as I fell in love with him. But when we broke up and he treated me terribly, cheated, lied etc, he soon became pretty ugly to me and I realised I was out of his league in terms of my morals and personality, at least.

• Yes, physically... but he had no job, no car, and wasn't going to college. He also smoked a lot of cigarettes and you know what LOL!! I wouldn't call him classy, and his only pros were he was cute, hot and nice!!!

• If we were to break down our "stats" I think he'd win out, slightly.

All that matters is that he seems to think I'm acceptable :p

• No, I don't really think much of a league thing in looks, however my boyfriend currently treats me like gold, but I know I try really hard to treat him well.

• Honestly know one is out of any bodies league. After getting to know a person the most unbelievable shhh can happen. I've seen some odd pairings visually, but they work! It all comes down to well honestly... Good timing lmao😂 people can't even decide what they want for lunch let a lone in a person/partner. Majority of the time it's all about confidence, y'all mf's better fake it til you make it and watch how quickly shhhh changes. #TheGODDESSHasSpoken that is ALLL! 👌

• Yes, my ex girlfriend was a goddess to me in terms of looks! I've actually also had plenty of people who were totally out of my league wanting to date me 🤔

• Usually when I date someone, the whole "league" thing doesn't matter, because I really fall in love with that person and their flaws don't matter to me. I've never been intimidated about the attractiveness of either of my two previous boyfriends though. I thought my first boyfriend was all that at the time, but apparently, according to my friends and family, I was always the better looking one in both relationships. That may just be them being biased because they are partial to me though.

• once I thought so, then I realized he was so insecure, dumb and shallow.. there is no "out of my league" thing, it's the combination of looks and chemistry for me

• Yep--and he didn't seem to mind. Being discreet and not psychotic makes up for a lot in the political world lol

• Yes. He was much smarter than I was. He actually went to grad school at Harvard and then MIT. So very much out of my league

• Yeah, I thought that he was "out of my league" because he was so smart, and he was excellent in sports, and he was a surfer, and everone loved him. So I dated him, and then I realized that he's a jerk who thinks that he's better then everyone and showes of so people will admire him... He doesn't even work out, and the last time he surfed was last year...
    Now I don't believe in this "out of my league" thingy because its a lie.

• Yeah, and he thought that he was out of my league... So it was a match. xD

• In looks, I wouldn't say so... but I've had boyfriend who were way more popular and outgoing than I was :P

• Nah, I don't think so.

• If league was a thing every person i try to date is out of my league. I don't think it is a thing and just try to date people im attracted to emotionally and physically.

• No..

• Currently am lol

• I'm dating him right now.

• Yeah
    My boyfriend lol

• I love that movie!
    Anyway, I haven't ever really dated, but if that movie teaches us anything it is that leagues are bullshit.

• Honey if You believe in "out of your league" You gotta bust up Your love and respect for yourself! That's bullshit.

• No, I don't think so.

• Haha, yes. Once but then I noticed we had nothing in common. He was quite boring lol.

• don't believe in leagues

• Hmm not really. When I develop strong feelings for someone I start to think they're out of my league, which I think is something everyone should feel.

• I did and I wasn't happy at all. I still regret breaking that kids heart, but fuck he should now what he's getting into.

• Nope, I've talked to guys but it didn't turn into a date or even phone number exchange

• (smiling)
    academically + financially = almost always... its what I prefer + am used to.

• Nah, I was out of their league :)

• More from Girls
    8

What Guys Said 45

• I often felt that: I think mainly because of my job.

I'm a software engineer by trade. I make a decent amount, not rich by any means. Most of all, this kind of job is very boring and antisocial: I write code, devise new algorithms and data structures, and work out the math on a drawing board.

It's extremely nerdy. The saving grace for me is maybe because I do have a physique, am out-going and like to party and socialize. But I still have one of the nerdiest jobs on the planet.

I once managed to date a model who told me about her job and how she traveled to the Caribbean, went scuba diving there in between photo shoots, etc. I really didn't have much interesting to say about my work in response. I'm like, "Uhh... I sit on a computer and write C code a lot while getting customer bug reports and investigating the root causes" -- not exactly the type of thing that gets girls to pull down their panties.

So I often felt kind of out of my league. I'm kind of a nerd who found a way to fluke my way to some trophy girlfriends now and then.

• if you have something that they don't usually have, like a sense of humor that they really like, or you can cook, and turn them on, feeding them sensually decadent chocolate desserts, maybe 'accidentally' dripping a bit, here and there, and having to clean it up. . .
    Just a short time thing, though. Her Hater GFs will talk her out of how much fun she has, because you're not in her class!!
    Shallow fools. . .

• I usually don't believe in such a thing, but for one specific girl in my past. It cannot be denied that she way was out of my league on looks and finances.

She was worth well over a million, had an incredible body, and knew how to dress herself very well. She was confident, go getter, ambitious, articulate, intelligent, and again... very pleasing to the eyes. Sadly, she was fucking nuts in the end and pretty much ruined it after a good 6 months, but damn... good times... really good times (except for the crazy). Oh, and to help clarify on her looks. She was once a model, but stopped as her boobs became too big for the gig she had and she decided to go into another industry afterwards.

Any who, I'm married now to a woman who has some resemblance of sanity within her, and very happy.

• Yes, i consider them challenges that have to be broken down... and before i leave, which happens, i tend to put the fear of God in them

• Yes, many times. In fact it's the out of league girls i go after - if you never try you'll never know.

• I've dated people that other considered out of my "league".

I'm not bad looking apparently and past the women focus more on personality then anything else. The only time I've ever thought about this theory is when questions come up like this online. I've never had a problem with it in real life.

I'd say this theory is what holds a lot of people back. If you consider yourself high you miss out on good people "below you" (although I don't think they miss out with this kind of attitude). If you have self doubt you miss out on people though shyness of fear. It's better to just chance it. Worst that can happen is a no.

• I don't believe in the "league" thing. I have had a lot of great looking women like me, and obviously it is not because of my appearance.

I think it was more so because, I was friendly and I was good to talk to. Not pushy or overly macho etc., just a decent guy with morals and a head on my shoulders.

• No one is out of my league, cause I don't believe in leagues.

• I don't concern myself with trivial things like leagues if I see a girl I like I go after her. That's about all there is to it.

• In terms of beauty , a few times indeed.
    In terms of finance, I abstained, ignored these girls.

• Yup, my last three girlfriends were out of my league, all i did was just stepped up my game and was myself and confident, even with my last girlfriend, she was in great shape n gorgeous and perfect and i still won her heart even when i was overweight at the time and constantly had pain doctor apointments

• Yes. I married her. :-)

• No. Like that will ever happen lol

• Well, that's a tall order. It's simpler to just disregard this league non-sense. Leave it to the high school kids to worry about.

• The out of the league thing does exist because nobody on here could get a date with a celebrity or model.

• The league thing is BS.

But there have been times when a girl I thought was incredibly hot expressed interest in me, and I was kind of "what does she see in me?".

• Yea every chick I bone is out of my league bexause they are below my league baha I'm like freaking hulk dude

• I don't believe in league, but I do believe in social class

• I date down so yeah.

• Wouldn't recommend it

• Yes. I married her and we are expecting our daughter in December.

• i still think my boyfriend is too good for me xD

• A girl used to really like me who I thought was completely out of my league. I still think she was.

• I dont believe in the league thing.
    As good as someone might look, physically and what they portray to the world. They can still have a nasty and ugly personality inside once you get to know them.

• Nope

• yes but only out of my league as in below my league xD

• Most haven't fill

• I couldn't even date someone in my league. All girls on earth seem to think they deserve someone better than me. Girls find me too unattractive. I can't date anybody.

• There is no one out of my league

• "I don't believe in the "league" thing"
    You better start believing it soon...

• More from Guys
    15