Can non serious relationships still be exclusive?

He/she doesn't want anything serious but they made it 'Facebook Official' /public knowledge to those around them.

Can an a non serious relationship be exclusive?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• you mean a non-dating relationship?
    you know, even a dating relationship can still lack exclusivity... sooo...
    by the way... a serious relationship, and a dating relationship... two different things.

• I agree, if only there were different words available to using the same words over and over in a different order

• whjat is the difference between serious relationship, and dating?

• @kitty71 i can be in a dating relationship and not be serious about her (or it) or not that serious anyway, just want to have a girlfriend... right?
      or i can be in a serious relationship (like a best friend) where there's trust, communication, blah blah and not be dating them.
      i know people tend to take that exclusivity thing as meaning that the relationship is "serious" or maybe judge according to the time frame, but in all honesty... NO ONE ever knows if its serious or not, many just assume because it gives some sense of security.
      Fact of the matter is... regardless, its still a dating relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• No wonder why people are so confused in their "relationships" these days. This is absolutely ridiculous. If a guy (or girl) "doesn't want anything serious" then they shouldn't be in a relationship period. People should be either strict friends or dating. When the lines start blurring is feelings start getting hurt for no reason and the person who is feeling more serious about the relationship starts getting jealous/possessive/insecure about the whole thing.

What Guys Said 14

• A non-serious exclusive relationship is an oxymoron. That's like saying a successful race driver who's really slow.

• While we're at it, what does a non-serious relationship look like? Why is there a... relationship.. to begin with?

• All relationships are implicitly exclusive unless otherwise stated. Polyamory is severely discouraged. And dating multiple people at the same time is polyamory.

• yes they can. i've been in one

• Why, if you don't mind me asking?

• Does the other person know this?

• if you talk to them about it. i wouldn't assume they know unless it is explicitly stated

• Can it be? Sure. Should they be? I don't think so but I know other people have different opinions

• If you agree to it, yeah a casual relationship can be exclusive.

• I meant to vote yes.

• I have personally demanded exclusivity even from my fwbs.
    No sloppy seconds here, thank you.

I'm capable of no attachments, but haphazard sleeping around doesn't fly that well with me.

• Of course. Just neither of you date anyone else. Easy.

• If you're monogamous, its usually public knowledge. It doesn't mean you're planning a wedding. It means that if one of you wanted to fuck someone else, you'd need to text the other first saying 'I dont' see this working out, I hope we can stay friends'

• Yes they can and its happened with me

• No its only exclusive if it's serious.

• YesYes

• even if it's not serious?

• Of course that's what makes it a relationship. Unless it's an open relationship then it's exclusive

• But it's not serious (I don't see a serious future with ----) so why make it 'official'/ broadcast it?

• Cause they're in a relationship, so they change their status to "in a relationship".. Personally I don't see why people feel the need to announce everything on fb but many people do use the fb relationship status feature

• As simple as that is I can honestly say I never thought of that

What Girls Said 15

• There's no rule to this. It's between the two people in the relationship. There are serious relationships that are open and allow their partners to see other people. There are non-serious relationships that are two people dating exclusively. It just means that you're not going to be with anyone else, but it doesn't have to be a "serious relationship" for someone to want that.

• I fucking dont get this declaring your status on Facebook thing. Nobody cares if you go to the party or sit at home and nobody will ask why you didn't go to the party.

Similar to that, nobody will care about your Facebook status or relationship status, or the photos you got tagged, or you tagged, or if s/he made your photo as her/his profile photo.

Only people who need approval and the feeling of belonging with someone and somewhere use that thing to show off their lives.

Your relationship is already exclusive even with its open-side. You dont need Facebook to make it exclusive.

Faithfully,
    A non-facebook user.

• I think that's still possible.
    If the relationship is agreed to be 'open' as in both individuals in it can sleep with others, yet remain 'monogamous' in a non-sexual context, I guess that would qualify as 'non-serious but still exclusive'.

I've never had such a relationship, nor do I plan on it. However, from what I read or hear about from people who have 'open relationships', that's basically how it works. They're cool with being able to sleep with whoever they want because they know that, at the end of the day, they're still coming home to each other.

• Not nesasarally an 'open relationship' they are not sleeping with other people but don't seriously see a future with said person, in which case why call what they are doing a 'relationship' at all, is more what I was vearing at.

• oh... what? lol ok. I get it but I honestly wouldn't see much sense in being with someone if there was no future in it. Have they basically committed to being each other's 'emotional crutches', then? :P

• lol pretty much

• They CAN be, sure, but I'm not sure what the point is.

• I don't see why they should be? A fling isn't really important 1 year from now, why limit yourself?
    Disclaimer: I've never been in a non serious relationship past highschool. So, to me, I don't see the point I guess to be exclusive if it's not serious.

• I only say yes, because you wouldn't make it official on Facebook if you thought otherwise.

• even if it's not serious tho?

• it's not my relationship, I'm just curious he doesn't want anything serious but still made it official.. I'm just wondering how many/ how often people give the elusion of 'something greater'

• I think he may be in denial.

• Yes it can depending in their agreement.

• yes of course.

• If that is what is agreed upon, yes.

• You can lay down some rules but its the same as serious relationships. You can't force someone to follow them.

• Of course. The way I define "serious relationship" is "do I see myself marrying this person?" Thus, anyone that I'm exclusive with but not about to marry tomorrow is casual.

• Yes lol, if you want them to be. Exclusive only translates to just you two and no one else.

• Of course =)

• no because it's just for fun

• It can be exclusive in the sense that they're not seeing anyone else but I don't think it's eluxcusive emotionally.