So the guy I'm dating used to be heavily into drugs?

Now, before anyone judges him, I think he's great. He was just about 16 when he started taking drugs, beginning with weed, which then led to pills, amphetamines, speed, cocaine and more.

At the age of 21, he finally broke down. The drugs had gotten the better of him and snatched his personality away. It was at this point he stopped abusing them.

So now he's 26, and I'm 23. I've known him roughly three months now and we've been dating for one. I really like him, and I know that he can be really tempted to take drugs at times. I'm so proud of him though for not relapsing. He seems to really like me too, and I think he and I may have a future together. Do you think it's safe for me to be with him?

• It is safe.
  • It might not be a safe bet.

Most Helpful Guy

• All saints have a past and all sinners have a future. Roll the dice and see where it goes. He maybe "THE ONE".

Most Helpful Girl

• So long as you don't become his life support or he becomes clingy to you, and depends on how his past behaviour was. If he was aggressive and abusive towards other people then you should be careful. But it also depends on how long his been off drugs and how that has affected him - has he changed in a positive or negative way?
    I personally think its great that your proud of him that his been off drugs :) He needs someone like you to support him through tough times; he needs someone to be proud of him for the smallest efforts he puts in. Stay with him; but if his back on the drugs or becomes abusive leave him. You don't need that in your life.

• He's in no way shape or form clingy! He was never aggressive or abusive either, he only misused drugs. I'm not sure, I didn't know him before the drugs so it's hard to know if he's changed. I just know that he finds it hard sometimes. I am so proud of him! He's a wonderful person, and I just want the best for him. I try to praise him when I can, it's what I think he needs. Thanks so much for your help 😊☺️☺️

• Your welcome! I know for a fact that anyone who has been through tough times needs all the support they can get to change in a positive way and move forward onto better things. You are the beacon of light he has been searching for for a long time :) You should be proud of yourselves for helping/dating someone who use to have drug problems - a lot of people are cautious around those types of people but someone needs to help them.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• People can always change. If he has been sober since 21 I think he's probably fine assuming he stays away from that crowd of people.

• Don't punish him for his past.

• It's been a couple of months. It's too soon to tell. Date and have fun. Don't be so serious so soon