Why do some guys LIKE paying for dates?

I think it's sweet and appreciated if a guy pays for the first date, but I never expect that out of him and don't let him pay for everything for any next date, because then I start to feel like I'm taking advantage of him. After I told that to the guy I'm seeing, we split the bill from the second to fourth dates, but on the fifth he says "so are you going to let me pay tonight?".
So it looks like he actually enjoys it, not that he feels like he is expected to do so. So why that is?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think anyone genuinely enjoys paying for other people in any circumstance. In this case, men usually pretend to "enjoy" it, because women lose their fucking minds, and call us cheap assholes if we don't offer to pay for her. Even women who are somewhat modern and progressive will usually think to themselves "aw, it would've been much sweeter if he at least offered to pay for me", and usually get a negative first impression of us.

A lot of times, guys will pay for the first few dates to give a good impression, but once they feel comfortable with the girl, will start letting her pay for things because they start to go broke.

I'm the complete opposite. I don't want to pay for a stranger's expensive meal, especially when there is a chance that it won't work out and I'll have wasted my money on her. Once we are in a stable relationship, and I start to fall in love, that's when I start to pay for her meals, buy her gifts, etc. - because I wanna do something nice for someone I actually know and love.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some guys would never let a woman pay lol, like they'll literally put her money back and stuff. I think it depends on the guy. Some it's because they like her and want to treat her etc... Some because it he feels more like the man if he does because some people are really kinda into gender rolls but not always in a bad sexist way. Some do it because they want to impress. Don't know why else.

What Guys Said 19

• If only every woman was like you. I pretty much payed for the last two dates I was on. Well she at least payed for her food but I payed for another event. Kind of regret that now since it didn't work out in the end. If both of us had spent equally then it would have been way better.

• Can't speak for all of them but I personally feel it is expected of me. After all she said "yes" when she could've said "no". It is my job to make sure she won't regret it, make her relax, feel good and spend a perfect evening without worrying about anything at all. Plenty more that should be done if she's worth it. Pick her up from her place, a flower would be nice, candle light, nice quiet background music, a pleasant walk somewhere nice and relaxing after dinner... I think you get the point. First date is all about her as far as I'm concerned.

• Some dudes like showing off that they have the means. I have a buddy like that, always buying rounds of shots. How you're describing this it would work out. He seems super generous and you seem intent on paying your sure. Having two people argue on who's paying is a good problem to have.

• We just want to do something nice. I treat male friends to dinner too if i invite them out and it makes me feel good - no need to overread a nice gesture.

• We are gentlemen and we feel it's our responsibility to act accordingly so. Also how I was brought up.

• We're gentlemen and we enjoy making our girl feel special.

• I am usually one paying when I hang out with anyone, i dont do it to "provide" or be a "nice guy nerd" or shit lmao it's sorta me rubbing in thst my mom is hella rich. I usually leabe good tips too lol

• It's nice to treat someone, or to be treated.

• "Why do some guys LIKE paying for dates?"

It makes me feel like I'm doing the gentlemanly thing and I like that.

• Just traditional guys or to show how much value his woman is to him.

• Because contrary to what you and some girls say i feel like scociety as a whole makes us feel like we have to pay to be considered manly or chivalrous

• Cause that's what you're supposed to do, pay for the meal. Damn, I'm old school I guess

• Because people think it is gentlemen like to do so.

• LOL, this is a joke, right? This never happens.

• Because she loves you as much as yo do.

• In contrast to the other opinions my feeling says that the one inviting should pay at least a part. If I enjoyed it I would pay at least my part or hers too or invite her "back" for another where I will pay. If a girl approached me and tells me I should invite her for no reason my impression would not be positive.

• makes em feel manly

• I truly have no idea why some guys would like that.

• I don't understand it girls have money to and guy can also be attractive yet some guys want to pay maybe they think it's what you want and it will help get them laid I don't know?

What Girls Said 6

• Some guys just like being the provider. They like being able to take a girl out and make her happy.

• Maybe they just enjoy being a Gentleman or if they were the ones that invited you, they just do their job in being a genuine and rationally thinking human being?

• Power. makes them feel like they are in control. Why else would they complain Women are not letting them be 'Men' if the Woman wants to pay.

• I come across way more men trying to control whether a Woman pays than i come across Women expecting the guy to pay.

• Guys paying on the first date is quite traditional. It's a courting method. It's showy and allows the girl to see that he can provide for her / has steady income.

It also lets a girl KNOW for sure that you're interested. It lets her know that she's special and that you want to impress her.

But a guy should not always pay, that would make me uncomfortable. With that being said, I LOVE paying for my boyfriend lol.

• I'm not going to speak for every man who likes to pay, but in your specific case it just sounds like he really likes you and wanted to show it by doing something nice for you, this time

• I do not question it and I think it is a good thing