Is it worth it to invest time in a summer fling even though I'll be going to college in the Fall?

A long time friend that I've known since pre-school recently admitted he really likes me and expressed interest in dating. He's a great guy and all, but the thing is I don't want to strain our friendship by friend zoning him, but I also don't want to break his heart when I leave for college this fall. Is it possible to just have a no strings attached summer fling, and then part our separate ways way I go away this fall? Or should I quit while I'm ahead and attempt to foster our already great friendship?
Although we've been friends since pre-school, the closeness of our friendship has fluctuated over the years because I'm a year older than him, so we have different friends in different grades. I never, ever thought of him as more than a friend because we practically grew up together. (I've always thought of him as the brother I always wanted... until recently...) And while his parents have always joked about us dating, I never once considered him as a potential boyfriend candidate.
We usually hang out with a group of friends, but he recently invited me to go swimming with him alone. Is this the start of something great? Or is it a disaster waiting to happen? I'm leaning towards letting things happen and just waiting to see where things lead, but I'd love to hear what other people think. Is it worth the time and possible heartache? My last relationship was wayyyy too serious... and it felt like trudging through molasses trying to survive the last four months of my last relationship, so I think this could also be fun and freeing.

Most Helpful Guy

• I live in an area where summer flings are very common , a lot of people come home during the summer or come here to work at hotels and restaurants during the summer so they date and have sex with people when there here. but its true a lot of these summer flings do not last once the person or one of the people leave for something else come fall. that being said that doesn't mean a summer fling isn't still fun and enjoyable during the summer months

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess you'll never know until you try, right? It could last or it could fail, but there's no chance if you do nothing. There's two whole months of summer left for you guys to figure it out.

What Guys Said 4

What Girls Said 3

• summer flings are awesome but I have some experiences that were difficult. I will discuss privately if you wish.

• Do not do flings

• A fling is short term and fun and both parties know it won't last. So you're not investing in anytbing. That's the definition of a fling