How long can you date a person?

How long can you date a person?
I mean, how long can you just be dating... And when would it be normal to start a relationship?
I recently met a guy and we have been seeing each other only a few times. He talks to me every day and asks me out every other day. I usually don't go, because even though I like him I feel like I need my distance. I am still missing another guy and I don't know if I am ready for anything serious at the moment. Do you think I can just see where it goes or will this guy most likely want to know what I want soon? Is it fair to him?
How long have you been only dating before you started a relationship?

• See where it goes
  • It's unfair
  • Tell him
  • Go on a few more and then make a decision

Most Helpful Girl

• id just see where it goes. if he asks, id say im seeing where it goes. i mean as long as you're honest he should not expect you to make decisions based off of information you dont have. you can't decide what you want without knowing him better. so get to know each other better. how long you need varies person to person. and keep in mind , you CAN like a person and not be ready or a commitment. i would feel like you need to rush just bc you like him therefore 'should' ant more. if you dont you dont. he's either ok being patient or he's not. but thats on him not you. you worry about your own pace. in my opinion.

• Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better. I think I need to see who he really is. I am just always thinking about how the other person feels and I don't want to hurt anyone.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• I don't really care to date for long. This is mainly due to the fact that I don't consider dating someone unless we have somewhat of an established friendship. So if we have a friendship, then we usually know each other well enough and I don't like the idea of not being exclusive. My ex and I were official after our first date. In our case it was fine (we broke up for reasons unrelated to that).

Just be honest with this guy. I would see where things go, but be upfront with him about how you feel. Also, have a conversation with him about where he sees things going in the future. What does he expect to happen from you two dating or want to happen? Find out what he might want out of things and from there express your thoughts and feelings to him.

• I think with my boyfriend and I, we dated once and went straight to the relationship period. I met his parents on our second date, he met mine the following day. We never needed to have the talk because we always just were

• Sounds a lot like the thing I had with the guy I am missing. But it is over, he wasn't ready for anything... And he lied to me about it a few times. So I guess it is time to let go of that and give the new guy a chance. I am not gonna lie about anything at least.