Racial Preference vs. Racial Fetishism?

What would you say the difference between having a racial preference is vs having a racial 'fetish' is? Do you think either is acceptable?

Most Helpful Guy

• Racial preference is most definitely acceptable, racial fetishism definitely isn't though.

In my opinion with racial preference, you're not automatically going to like someone based on their race, however in general you find yourself being attracted to people of a certain race more so than other races. It could be because of the common aesthetic traits that are associated with the majority of people within that race for example.

Racial fetishism is based on ignorance and stereotyping in order to make assumptions about people within a certain race and therefore seeing them as more desirable or easier to get. It's often much stronger than a preference in that someone with a fetish for a certain race will go out explicitly to find a partner of a certain race, whereas someone with a preference is just going to let whatever happens happen. Fetishes often tend to me more sexual as well.

What Guys Said 2

• I think a racial preference is defined by simply finding a certain race more attractive than the other races, and would be more likely to establish a relationship with a person of that race.

A racial fetish, on the other hand, would be defined as pursuing people of a particular race for perverted sexual purposes only.

Although I am not too fond of the whole idea of casual sex, I don't think a racial fetish is necessarily wrong, as long as the other person knows their intent. I also don't think racial preferences are wrong on any account. It's nothing more than being attracted to certain physical features that might be exclusive to a particular race.

• I only date white women. I'm not white by the way.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't think either is unacceptable so long as the person who is the fetish knows they are just a fetish.

I know plenty of white men who wanted to sleep with me because I'm black and no other reason. They don't even want to date. So I'd never give them a chance.

• Preferences are natural to have- even when it comes to races. Sometimes these preferences are based on attraction, experiences, or even ignorance. But they are natural to have, so yes, they are acceptable.

As far as racial fetishes... I'd definitely question the guy's intentions and feel turned off, since his interest might just be sexual in nature.

• My racial preference is white men... I have also been called a racist because I dont want to date black men.

• Both are acceptable in my opinion