Should I try online dating? If so, which sites are the best to use?

I'm not sure if I want to try online dating or if I should just stay away from it. I'd rather meet someone off line but it seems like people don't really do that now days. Also, is it true that most people who online date are only looking for hookups? Because I am actually looking for a real relationship not just something casual.

Most Helpful Guy

• I started online dating on OKcupid that's quite a big site you could try.
    If you have a half decent picture then as a girl you will probably get loads of messages though perhaps not good ones as a lot of guys annoyingly take a carpet boom approach.
    Guys have a reputation for looking for a hookup on online dating but I dont think thats actualy generally the case normally. I think were open to both but would prefer a relationship.

• This is true on okcupid and I have met decent guys on there too.

• But if the guy message me first that he literally copy a other guy who did the same thing I wouldn't respond. Or be rude right off the start (like being sexual or saying something that I found is rude).

Most Helpful Girl

• i met my boyfriend/future husband on okcupid 2 years ago.

his initial message to me was sweet and funny, and he took a genuine interest in who i was~ i wrote back, and we talked through the site for a month before finally meeting in-person. our first date was magical, and we've been inseparable ever since. :) <3

some dating sites (like plentyoffish) have a reputation as "hookup sites", though your experience may be totally different~ one of my best friends is engaged to a girl he met on pof, and she's become a good friend of mine as well.

my favourite thing about okcupid were the questions you can answer. they're optional, and some are really personal/bordering on creepy ("do you have rape fantasies?", for example), but they really do help you find better matches.

most importantly, be safe and have fun!

-von

What Guys Said 10

• I met my wife on match. com. Just like real life, there are guys on dating sites looking for a real relationship and guys just looking for a hookup. It's up to you to figure it out. One sure way is to not have sex with a guy when you first meet him. The guy who wants a relationship will wait for you. Not forever, but some weeks at least.

• My experience is 99.9% of people don't take online dating seriously at all. So either wrong or altered information on their profiles or like you say, they just want a hookup or will talk to you online, but never meet. I'm sure women's experiences differ from guys but I do think both genders don't take it very seriously. Also I hear a lot of women say they get so many emails from guys it's overwhelming and they just don't bother and give up after a while.

• Some people have insanely more luck than others for finding someone online. I've tried a few sites, always with self descriptions thorough yet to the point, but got hardly a speck of attention. A few girls taking a peek at my profile at most...
    I'm not saying the idea is bad. Just don't give your hopes up.

• Go offline also. Plenty of fish ;)
    Give it a shot if you are a social person.
    If you are not, try to be more.

Don't be dependent from sites and applications to get into new people.
    That should be your second way, not the first.

• Having been through this, I can tell you that it does work... HOWEVER... the trick is sifting through the scammers, gold-diggers, green-card wanters and weirdoes in general!!!

• You shouldn't.

• Hmm I would be weary but everyone does seem to do it. I think others also want serious too

• Online dating is stupid, go and find someone in the real world, have a few one night stands

• Its not that easy

• Probably plenty of fish

What Girls Said 10

• No there are absolutely people on dating sites looking for real love. I met my boyfriend on Tinder and we were both serious about finding a relationship. I met plenty of other guys on there also looking for a relationships. It's a myth that it's only a hooking up site. It's what you make of it. I always found it easy to tell the hook up type of guys from the real relationship type. I also used OKCupid and liked it quite a lot.

• How did you spot the differences? Douchey profile pictures?

• @HotDogg Yeah photos were usually the give away. If was filled with drunken party pics with many girls and topless selfies I knew it wasn't my type of match. Plus bio was a key too. Some guys would straight up say what they were looking for while with others I could also easily see they were party type of guys who weren't looking for anything serious. My boyfriend's bio was simply "gamer, poet, drummer, gentleman" and that spoke volumes to me.

• Just be careful because the guy might not take it seriously as it is online, people have a misconception that online dating doesn't count/ doesn't mean anything. When you talk to someone let them know why your really there and that you dont just want to hook up! Best of luck x

• Plenty of Fish!! Christian Mingle!! Match. com?

• As long as you sign up for a site that requires a paid membership, there is much less of a chance of people not taking it seriously. Most of the people just wanting to hook up or who aren't taking it seriously use apps like Tinder and Hot or Not.

• I'm very social, so I don't have a problem meeting guys, but I did online dating just to branch out. It's okay. Too many people pretending to be things that they aren't.

• actually there are always good people.. ıts u who must be careful. the ones with different intentions just show it at first. I had some really good friendships on the sites that people see lots of perverts. I thought that if use this website to find a friend then there may be some who things like me. and ı am talking with my friends like almost 6 years.

• Of course if you want to. I know a lot of stories that have been successful. Im still hoping to bump into someone and have that spark like in the movies. lol.

• Maybe Tinder?

• Be careful. You don't know who's behind the screen.

• Don't use tinder. You'll be really disappointed with it since 98% of users on there are looking to get laid and are too cheap to pay for a prostitute. Try match. com or okcupid.