What do you do when someone says "I love you"?

If you're in a brand new relationship and you hear the words "I love you", what are you supposed to say if you don't feel the same way yet?

Most Helpful Guy

• For me it kind of repels me from the girl.

I usually just kiss her on the forehead or something, or make a joke like "I know, I'm very lovable".

I tend to suggest to people not to make grand confessions of their feelings too early in a relationship and also during break-up. In both of those cases, the odds are weighted against you that the person feels the same way, and confessing feelings like this when the person isn't feeling it usually has either no effect or sometimes a negative effect.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know this sounds weird but I usually just smile and hug them or kiss them and don't actually say anything back. My boyfriend also dropped that line before I could 100% say it back and mean it and I recall doing that and I think eventually I told him I'm not quite ready yet but he should know that I'm well on my way and cherish him a lot. That seemed to make him content.

What Guys Said 6

• It depends when and how they say it. If I knew I didn't feel the same way yet, I'd just make them question themselves,,"Oh you love me already, I must be pretty special". That way they get the indication that I'm surprised that they're already talking about love and I'm probably not going to reciprocate it just yet. It reminds me back when I was like 7 years old a girl told me she loved me and I just said "no you don't" and ran off and she started crying, wish I could have played that one off better, lol.

• "Of course you do I'm wonderful ;)"
    Haha anyones guess on that one if you don't feel the same.

• i act like it never happened lol

• I am shocked and speechless, usually. LOL.

• Feel they don't mean it. As my ex said she loved me and later told me she didn't mean it. Only three people ever told me they loved me, my mom, my ex and my aunt

• When ever someone say that to me I always say I love me too.

What Girls Said 2

• Serial dater right here.

I always laugh OR pretend I didn't hear anything

• Don't say anything, kiss him only