There's nothing wrong with having a girlfriend and a close female best friend right?

I've been going out with my girlfriend for the last 6 months and counting and I've been close friends with my female friend for just over two years I tell her everything thing because that's the type of friendship we have with each other. My girlfriend is fully aware of her presence in my life but still wants to be the first person I go to when there's an issue or something wrong with me, personally I'd rather go to my female best friend or someone else because I know the advice I'd get would be much better than her's. I can't be the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this.

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as you make the effort to get closer with your girlfriend then she won't feel excluded.
    Its only an issue is she feels unworthy.
    Hopefully one day your partner will be your best friend also because a relationship doesn't really last unless you can have that kind of intimacy.

Your girlfriend is young so her feelings are raw and she might not understand why she is feeling jealous or insecure.
    But the role of a wife in later life is what your best friend is right now.

Its really good to have female friends as long as your partner is one of them and not just a romantic connection.

Most Helpful Guy

• My best friend is a girl too and we've known each other for a little over four years now. From my experience your best friend will always be there for you so don't ditch them for a relationship! I always went to my best friend first as well because she knows me best and I'm completely fine with being totally open to her.

• I'm glad we think the same way about this. like we've been there for each other at times of need and we've never let the other down.

Thanks for MHO!!

What Girls Said 4

• For some women, having an emotional attachment to another woman is considered disrespectful. It can be almost cheating. Other women don't mind but your girlfriend is one that does mind. I undestand that your relationship with her is very new and you trust your friend more than your own girlfriends counsel, but if you plan on staying with her for long term then eventually you'd have to be able to trust her more.

• This is so precisely said 😊
      I couldn't have said it even better.

• I'm fully aware that she has male best friends who she vents to at times so that stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• In that case, she's a hypocrite and has no room to tell you anything.

• Well I do see something wrong with it.
    I totally thing that it is possible to have girl friend for a man when he's in a relationship but I don't think she should come first when it comes to those things.

• Does she have a best guy friend? Otherwise she might not be used to this.

• You're not the only one. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

What Guys Said 4

• You seem to trust your friend more than you trust your partner, and you also seem to be more emotionally dependent on her. The fact that she is a girl only makes matters worse, as it can threaten your girlfriend, and give her the impression that you prioritize your friend above her.

You and your partner have only been together for 6 months, compared to your 2 year friendship with your friend, so it may be excusable in the early stages of your relationship. But it is something that HAS to change somewhere down the road, and the time is drawing near already.

Your girlfriend is right. She should be the first person you go to. If you don't trust her enough to do so after 1+ years of being with her, then what is the point? Why would you even be in a relationship with someone you can't depend on?

• This will eventually become an issue

• That was one reason why I broke up with my girlfriend. She basically told me to choose between her and my best friend. I chose my best friend.

• Friends are much more valuable than significant others. You're right to go to your friend first.

• i think thats stupid. you should make your girlfriend no1.