Is it okay to date a younger guy?

well I'm 18 and the guy I like is 16 tuning 17 in Sept so guess its a 1.5 difference but I don't know if its right since I have always thought that a girl dating a younger guy is dating him because he couldn't get a guy her age. I always had a preference for older guys and never dated anyone younger.

Most Helpful Girl

• in general yes. its such a double standard in our society though. older women can totally date younger men, just do it for the right reasons as with anything else.

now technically I think your situation is illegal but I mean I think the consummation (sex) is illegal not just the dating part. that being said, people do it everyday. I have a friend who is my age (20) and he is dating a 16 year old girl in high school who is turning 17. yeah. can't say I approve but when you think of it its just because of the way I was brought up and the society I live in. in many societies older men are involved with much younger women. for a long time in our history even, very young girls would commonly seek out much older guys.

i honestly don't agree with the whole "age does not matter" in many cases. it depends on what the age gap is, and where both people are in their lives. for example I think a 16 year old going out with a 20 year old is ridiculous but a 20 year old going out with a 25 year old is nothing shocking. maturity gaps and such things. I have a couple girl friends who are my age and dating men in their 30s. again, I probably wouldn't do that but you know to each is own.

im sliding off track...lol you are only 18 and there isn't much a big difference there. as long as you like each other and you are in it for the right reasons and not trying to take advantage of him or vice versa then id say go for it. just don't get caught. :)

What Guys Said 1

• So long as its not illegal or so long as you don't get caught or pregnant.

What Girls Said 1

• Unless it's a ridiculous gap, age doesn't matter.

If you really love him, that's all that counts, right?