Should I use the word 'date' when asking this guy out? Have we been on dates but I haven't realized it yet?

So long story short, I want to ask this guy on a date, by text first off.
the only thing is we've done many "date like" things, like carnivals, museums, restaurants, karaoke, etc, that he initiated. But I'm always afraid we do these things as friends, that's why I'm contemplating on asking him somewhere, and saying from the get-go I want a date. Or have we already been on dates but I just haven't realized it yet? I'm afraid if I say "could I ask you on a date" it would scare him off.

What Guys Said 1

• Dont overthink too much, if you dont, someone else will, so go ahead and do it! :)

What Girls Said 2

• Just say it. Either it'll just make him say yes or no

• There are a couple ways you can go about this. You can ask him on a date and spell it out and then see if he expresses interest, that's the quickest way to know if he see's you as a romantic interest. Another way is to go flirt with him some, being fairly direct but not over the top or even ask him somewhere and then flirt with him and see if he reciprocates. You still get see if he's interested but it'll take a little longer to get the answer you are looking for.