I'm going off to college this fall. Should I open a tinder account?

Tinder is more efficient for me because it doesn't require it's users to answer a long series of questions, it's free and plenty of people from my age group use it. It's also the most popular 'dating app' for college students. I'm not interested in hooking up with random strangers. I want to meet new people. If it leads to something serious that will be great too. Should I mention in all capital letters " NOT LOOKING FOR A FUCK BUDDY " in my profile narrative?

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't need that you have a college full of guys

What Guys Said 10

• I don't even know where all the hate towards Tinder comes from. It is, I admit, primarily a short-term dating app, however, I know a lot of girls (with the same set of complaints as you) that have met boyfriends on Tinder. I dated a few girls from Tinder and there are guys/girls on it that use it to find something more than hook-ups. I have also met some new friends using the app as well and a lot of people using it are actually pretty cool.

My recommendation is to get Tinder and then write a GOOD bio (don't write the cliche 'f*ckboys swipe left'. Instead write one that is long and detailed about you're interests/personality. This usually sends the message that you're not into casual sex/dating. Even so, you may still get guys asking you for sex. Just ignore those guys and focus on the ones that are interested in longer term dating (which there are plenty).

Anyway, it isn't as taboo as it used to be to have Tinder, lots of girls have it especially on college campuses and not all of them will go and have sex with random strangers. Similarly, many guys looking for semi-serious dating also use it. I think it's a good tool if you use it right. Good luck

• Lol tinder a "dating app" thats funny hahaha

• If you aren't looking for a hookup, don't get a Tinder account. That's what people use it for, and girls with "Not looking for a hookup" in their profile are the ones more open to hookup.

Just meet people in real life, don't use Tinder at first, try to meet people more personally. If you don't have any success with that approach, then try Tinder, you may get lucky and find a guy that is looking for something more, but it's not likely while on Tinder.

• Lmao ikr? "Not looking to hookup" is basically a calling card. I'd even see it as a challenge to get her to do it.

• I'm a pre- nursing major so most of the students in my class will be girls. I heard a lot of couples in college have met each other through tinder. Is that actually true? Sorry for sounding like a noob lol.

• @akadatank44 Yeah, I think it's like a way to filter some guys, those who will believe that she's not down for a hookup, and those who don't have enough game xD

@asker I don't know about that, my college is super small and there's no couples there. I don't know of many people that have met their SO through Tinder, there's some, but most of the people that have had some success on Tinder have done it through hookups.
      I've used Tinder in the past and the only thing I got from it were hookups.
      You can try, you don't lose anything by trying, but I wouldn't bet much money on it.

• "Efficient" haha you really shouldn't need it. It's probably 1% girls 99% guys haha. Meet someone at college and it's not so much a 'dating app' as it is a hookup app. It started as a hookup app and most guys and girls too I believe just go on there to mess around. Yeah mention whatever you want but most won't read that shit lol.

• Don't listen to The haters. This is 2016 one out of four relationship starts on the Internet. Hell my buddy got married last month to a girl he met on tinder. In this day and age is incredibly close minded to not consider using technology when trying to find a significant other. Get the app talk to people go on dates and who knows you might just get lucky a lot of people already have.

• If you're not interested in hookups, I wouldn't get tinder. Even if you say you don't want a hookup, I bet guys will still try to get some from you by saying they want a relationship.
    Or maybe that's me being pessimistic, I don't know.

• Pretty much everyone on tinder just wants casual sex so you shouldn't make an account if you want a real relationship

• Fuck Tinder. Focus on your schoolwork.

• Y... what? Yes.

• Yea why not? I bet people will still get in your pants though by pretending not to be looking for a fuck buddy, either. They'll take you on a date or two, build comfort, make you laugh, have sex with you, then VANISH to do it to someone else.

What Girls Said 11

• You can write "not looking for a fuck buddy" all you want, they'll still show up. Tinder is primarily for hookups I think, you're probably better off just finding someone you're interested in offline and go from there.

• I've never used it, but have a friend that does, and most of the people on there aren't really looking for a serious relationship. Most of the guys she's met on there have just wanted sex and then to be done. That isn't to say that there aren't people who do want a serious relationship on there, but you will have a lot of people just wanting to hook up to wade through. There are also a lot of catfish and trolls on there from what I hear.
    I've always been told that when it comes to online dating, using a site that requires a paid subscription is safer and that it is less likely to run into people who aren't taking it seriously. I think the sites like Tinder and Hot or Not are designed more for hookups than dating.

• Another upside to the sites with a paid subscription and what makes them safer is that they have their members' credit card information so it would be much harder for someone with malicious intents to go through with them without being caught, so they will be much less likely to frequent those sites.

• Joining* lol

• Yeah, I understand that. I've never done online dating, but this stuff is just what people have told me, and my friend's experience with Tinder. It's unlikely that you will find someone with malicious intents, but just be aware that people can be very different from what they portray themselves as online, and when you do meet up with someone online, do it in a safe public place.

• Worst. Idea. Ever.

Wait til you get there. You'll start making new friends and getting hit on by random dudes within the first week

• Tinder sucks

• Tinder is great for meeting new people. But be careful. I was used by more than a few guys on Tinder. I've also met a few nice guys. Just go in with no expectations and your guard up and you should be fine.

• Yeah sureeee tinder is a 'dating app' LMAO

• No. Just meet people in real life- the love you'll find will be more genuine

• Don't use tinder. You're going to be disappointed when you find that 95% of users on there are just horndogs who are too cheap to afford a prostitute. Try match. com or okcupid.

• Yes, that would probably weed out some of the weirdos. Try it, just be careful. Have your dates in well lit areas and don't let the guy know where you live the first series of dates.

• You should probably mention what you are looking for and what a guy would expect if he meets you.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more