Guys, Are Men Intimidated By Pretty Women?

I think this question has been asked before but I can't find it anywhere. But I've heard that apparently the women who are perceived as beautiful by men are never approached because their looks come across as intimidating, which is why women who may not look as good (not necessarily ugly, but not beautiful, either) get approached more often. Is this true?

• Yes, This Is Almost Always True
    51% (407)
  • No, That's Dumb And Makes No Sense
    18% (145)
  • Depends (Explain)
    31% (252)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

103

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of the times, this is true. That's why the best women tend to be the most attractive ones, cause the average and above average, that get more attention, tend to believe they're better than they really are, so they're conceited and have a stick up their ass xD

Many men believe these women are too good for them, or they automatically assume they're taken or that they will reject them, so they just avoid approaching.

What Guys Said 102

• I think it's really just about natural selection. I remember an experiment where they put 10 men and women into a room all with a number (1-10) that was unknown to them but everyone else could see it. They were told to try and pair up with the highest number they could. What happened is that people started to get a sense for how high their number was based upon who was approaching them. If you had the entire room coming out to you, you probably had a 9 or ten. Vice versa, if nobody came up to you, you could assume you had a lower number. People invariably ended up with a partner of similar number. Obviously this parallels physics attractiveness. During early years of adulthood, people start to gain a sense of their relative attractiveness based on the same factors. So I think some guys feel that they are average and so there is no point in wasting time going after a girl who likely will turn him down.

I've also noticed that due to the same phenomenon, highly attractive men and women tend to make wear partners because they are unable to commit knowing that they can have anyone. In my experience as a guy. Girls who were 9+/10 were usually pretty sociopathic.

• 'Pretty' by who's standards? Not mine, maybe. She's a person, and why is she so special that someone should be nervous, or bow down, or drool, wanting her?
    I think our society raises some to some level of 'Greatness' and others feel unworthy, of them!!
    They are all just people! They are no different than the majority, in most ways!! They get sick, they do stupid things, they FART!!
    The only thing that makes anyone 'greater' is that people believe that they are!!!
    But so often, the 'great ones' fail, so terribly, embarrassing themselves, but people still revere them!!

• I'm not intimidated by looks alone for several reasons :-
    - I see it as a challenge when she's out of my league and i love a challenge.
    - You miss 100% of the shots you never take.
    - I know my worth and where i stand so i dont put her up on a pedestal, even if she's out of my league physically there are other ways to make up ground.
    - Often once you get close enough to talk to these 'stunning' women you notice the makeup hiding imperfections.
    - You approach enough beautiful women and eventually one will click with you.

An example of someone who would intimidate me in approach situation would be @redeyemindtricks 😅 an exceptional mind and oozing confidence.

• The reality: Sometimes people don't know what the fuck to do around me, because I'm tall, loud, forward, and brutally honest to a fault (I'm that girl who always says everything that everyone else is too polite to actually say).

In @cosytoasty 's words: I'm "intimidating" because I have "an exceptional mind and ooze confidence".

<3 <3

@cosytoasty, you are one smooth operator mah frennnn ahha
      I like you.

• Bants?

Does that just mean banter? lol you and yr cockney words dude

• I'll have a cranberry juice instead please :)
      HA GAAAAAAAY

@redeyemndtricks bants is indeed, short for banta, congratulations 😘

• It's true more often than men would (probably) like to admit. Main reason is, we're always afraid that this beautiful girl is going to take one look at us and shoot us down before we get to say a second word to her. One of the things men fear the most is rejection. Whether it be because they have rejection problems from the beginning or because it kills their ego depends on the guy. There was a girl I became good friends with in high school. When I told her I liked her, she turned me down and never spoke to me again. It scarred me, and now when I like someone, I hide it as my deepest, darkest secret because another rejection might kill me. I've missed a lot of opportunities and let too many other girls go with assholes because I'm too much of a coward to say what I feel.

• To date? To ask out? Maybe, but possibly if the guy really gave a shit in the first place, then probably. Chances are those pretty and stunningly attractive are already long taken and already in a committed relationship or married.

And even if they aren't they may also be high maintenance, and other things, definitely going to be a challenge since the guys would face greater competition and challenge from other guys that stunningly attractive lady had also drawn their attention towards her.

It can create all sorts of insecurities, but if a guy just really didn't give a fuck and just walked right up to talk to her for even 5 minutes what's he got to lose? Nothing, right? And if he did get a number, fine, doesn't really mean anything. If he didn't who cares? Again, that was never the goal they should have had in mind in the first place, or the expectations that they were going to say yes and agree to going out with them or go on a date with them, blah blah.

If your goal is just to talk to them for something like 5 minutes with nothing serious in their mind, such as no real goals to really date her or go out with her, then you should be fine.

If you had friends or whomever were with you and they all pushin' you to go talk to and hit on that really stunningly attractive lady, then it's either you just do it with with a "I don't even give a fuck" attitude because these guys are annoying you so you'd only do it to shut them up, and you'd have to have literally no expectations and don't care whether it was a rejection or whatever since in your mind you never cared whether she was going to go out with you or date you in the first place.

• I think that if the guy grew up around beautiful women, then he might not be so easily intimidated. I think if he has confidence and looks, then it's not so likely.

For me, I am intimidated by women I'm attracted to, because, among other things, I have had a lot of WEIRD responses (from a lot of girls) to situations.

• That's a resounding YES for me! The only men who aren't intimidated my pretty women, are really good-looking themselves. I'm not bad looking, bit certainly not 'up there' to have much of a chance with 'pretty' women.

I wonder why both my exes were pretty, though! :P

• In most cases its true because when i see a realy pretty girl (woman) i get nervious and i think about what would she think of me when i approach her.

I asked my friends (the girls) about what they thout of me when we met (before they knew me well) and some said they thout im a cool guy (thanks to them) and others thout i was realy rough and agressive (not true - no offence taken thou).

So as much as girls think what would he think of me - guys do the same thing. I think thats the reason why.

• A real man might be intimidated by an attractive woman but won't let that stop him. 😉 On the other hand, if you feel some chemistry you might want to initiate some conversation or encourage it with some smiles or touch on shoulder (some people can be uneasy about touching from a stranger, others think its great) because sometimes a real man just needs a little encouragement 😊 The keywords are initiate and encourage, not lead around like a dog because if the guy doesn't pick it up from there he either isn't that interested or hasn't matured enough to be a man. Hope that gives you some insight 😉

• Natural beauty is one thing. These women would look great right out of the shower wearing a Hefty bag.

But overly gorgeous pretty women with obvious makeup and expensive clothes while not intimidating give me the vibe that "what you see is not what you get." So I'm never inclined to approach those women.

The best option for anyone is to just be who you are. Be comfortable in your own skin.

• For those who are intimdated by an attractive woman, you will get past this. They are no more and no less than you and me.

• Forget what everyone else says, a man will only approach a women if he has confidence. Confidence because this will make his objective accomplished before he's even started. Obviously confidence is built off other factors, but on the base line you'll find that a man with confidence can achieve many things in life.

• My experience with the hot girls is that they wear their "bitch face" more often than not and thus make themselves unapproachable. Hot girls are usually aware of their luck in the genetic lottery and fully exploit that by dismissing any guy they don't feel is worthy of being in their presence and seek out those guys who are just as full of themselves. It usually results in a very unstable relationship with wild emotional swings and high potential for cheating since both people believe they can have anyone they choose. I know I'm generalizing here, but stereotypes exist for a reason. We'll call a hot girl as one that is an 8, 9, or 10. They typically are all looks and no redeeming personality traits. We'll call the 5 - 7 range anywhere from cute to pretty but are quite personable and have interesting lives besides "being ridiculously good looking" (I love Zoolander). These are the ones that get the most attention because they are a blast to be around but are also physically attractive. They may or may not be aware of their looks, but if they are, they tend to downplay them and may be quite modest. They are gracious when receiving compliments but don't demand them. That's what makes them cool. As for fear of being rejected, I don't think guys avoid girls for that reason. I think guys know they'll be rejected, so it's not a fear but rather avoiding the usual superficiality of the 8 - 10 crowd of women. Who needs that aggravation? Again, this is a broad sweep and not indicative of all females out there.

• If a girl is super hot, the general rule is that she has guys falling all over her. Most super hot girls, are single most of the time, to hear them tell it. There are a couple of reasons to leave a hot girl alone. 1. She's got a biker boyfriend, who will shoot you for looking her way. 2. getting dissed sucks even more if you dare to dream (if you get dissed, and there are guys around, you'd get belittled for thinking you 'could' have that). 3. If she doesn't have a guy, she's either really high maintenance, or bat crap crazy. Many guys have seen a guy who looks rough as hell, holding hands with a really hot girl and wondered how. Some took the chance of being humiliated, and that was all the girl was looking for someone who cared more for them, than themselves. Each situation has differences, but generally they boil down this way.

• Yes, but I think it depends on age, maturity, personality, and a number of other factors.

• Realistically there maybe some who are - I am not sure if all guys are intimidated by pretty women - I may have felt it at a young age in my teens but as I got older it faded - If I was attracted to a beautiful woman and felt there was something there, I would go for it.

• I've heard this given as a reason that so many beautiful women end up with arrogant, conceited guys: they're the only ones with the nerve to approach them.

It's true that guys are generally intimidated by very good looking women. I think the same phenomenon is at work, albeit to a lesser degree, in women, regarding very attractive guys. The difference, of course, is that the guys are much more often the ones doing the approaching, so it doesn't matter as much.

As for the reasons, I think it's pretty clear. If you perceive yourself as normal or average looking (or below), which most guys probably do, and you see a woman that everyone would like to be with, you don't bother because you figure it wouldn't really be worth your time when much better specimens than you will be available to her.

Whether this is true or not is another matter. I've certainly seen some couples whose looks are not matched, where one is clearly better looking than the other. But more often, people seem to end up with others who are on their level, looks-wise.

• Depends on your age.

I was absolutely intimidated by pretty women until I was about 30 or so. I remember being ~20 in Vegas where I spotted a woman so incredibly beautiful I just HAD TO go up and introduce myself. I was so intimidated, I had cowboy boots on and I was in fact, shaking in them. I'll never forget it. I was completely tongue tied and probably came off as a complete idiot. She was drop dead gorgeous.

As I've gotten older, I've loosened up and let go of that fear. I lived in Buenos Aires, Argentina for a year and that town is out of control with gorgeous women. Smoke'n hot, modem quality women. It was crazy. I wasn't intimidated at all. Just be yourself, treat them with respect and bring a bit of humor to the conversation. You'll know in the first 10 minutes if there's anything there. If not, wish them a good day and move on.
    Now, I have no issue with any woman, gorgeous or not so much. It sure is funny to look back on though.

• Personally and I imagine for a lot of other guys this is very true, often there's a feeling of "she can do better" and knowing that there's a long list of guys she can have her pick from, so if you're not a confident person it's easy to think that you're low down the list and that you should just avoid the rejection and not approach her to begin with. Not to mention there's also the worry of seeming like someone who's just interested because she's hot and like you only care about screwing someone hot, as well as thinking that she's so attractive she probably gets hit on all the time and is tired of it. There's probably lots of confident guys out there though who can take a rejection and/or don't think they'll get rejected who just go for it

• I would say for the majority of guys certainly. It really depends on the individual, though, personally, i only ask out girls based upon both personality and demeanor because those are the things i find most intimidating. But if i were to say that most guys found attractive women intimidating i would not be wrong.

• Honestly not at all. I dont care how beautiful a woman is or how "out of my league" others may think. My girlfriend right now is breathtakingly beautiful. Among other qualities she has such as intelligence, kindness, common sense, purity etc etc.
    I would approach. Start a conversation and let all be taken from there. I would have an actual conversation with the woman. Flirt with her (Notice I said flirt. Not hit on her. Yes there is a difference) and get to know her.
    Just because she is a beautiful woman doesn't mean any man should be afraid of her. She isn't untouchable or anything like that unless she is taken then you should respect that. If she rejects you before even taking the chance to get to know you, out of rudeness or with arrogance then let it go. She isn't worth your time. Beauty on the outside is one thing. But if her inside doesn't match. Not worth your time.

• Really depends on the guy,
    1. what he is looking for (making out, one night stand, girlfriend, etc)
    2. what he is expecting (not expecting her to say yes, he doesn't feel rejected as much if she says no)
    3. What kind of personality/attitude she is giving off is a attractant or deterrent.

• Intimidated means you're fearful of them, so no. Almost every guy in the world is not intimidated by almost every woman.

However, if a guy thinks that a woman is much more attractive than he is, almost every guy will quickly decide to not pursue her because he'll figure he will get outcompeted by a more attractive guy. If that's what you mean by "intimidated," then yes; but that behavior is not really intimidation.

• Yes, almost always.

• Vote 'D' - NO I am not but I'm attracted to them like hell for sure lol

• That is definitely not me. My problem has always been that I'm attracted to hot women but they are not attracted to me. It's an inevitable friend-zone for me so while I'm friendly and I talk to them freely, I have to make sure I don't bother because the answer has always been that they are not attracted. You don't show up and play a game that you already know is rigged against you.

• There are two main things that would hole me back approaching an attractive woman
    hot women are assumed that they are already taken so no need to approach someone who is taken.
    2. They have higher standards
    3. They could cry rape sometimes and people would believe them if others are around just cause she is hot
    4.

• Yes I think this is true. Every guy should know in the art of picking up women, not being afraid of rejection is half the battle.

Plus we live in a world today where everyone has self esteem issues and is so worried about looks but that's a whole nother topic.

But good looking women can be very intimidating.
    Girls can do a lot of things to improve their looks (makeup, die hair, extensions, false eye lashes etc) girls can basically modify any part of themselves to improve how they look and guys are... Well just guys.

And to add to that good looking girls usually get a lot of attention from the opposite sex so there's that competition factor. Also a lot of girls do know they're good looking. The hardest is when there's a group of girls cause you gotta win them all over to separate the one girl from the pack. Takes balls to do that. I call them mother hens

• I find it's very area based and how the girls act in that area. I live in Los Angeles & most the hot women here are self centered egotistical sluts. So generally speaking I don't waste my time on them from their rude & over privileged demeanor.
    They act stuck up & personality means nothing to them what so ever so when a nice guy shows interest they're actually extra mean to him because most if not any of them try to avoid serious relationships.

Now that being said I have lived in Calgary Alberta Canada for 6 months & spent a few months in Boston. The behavior of hot women in those areas greatly differs from Los Angeles. They're very nice, talkative, and mostly approach you showing excessive interest to ask them out. While Los Angeles girls flirt around more to test if your a serious relationship type or a quickie fuck type. When they find out you're the serious type they are very agree divert mean. So it's like playing minesweeper with L. A women I hate it.

• I personally think the problem is of a different nature. By most standards i'm a pretty smart guy (not to be full of myself), my iq (depending on testing method) is either 148(G test), or 165(traditional). When i talk to a girl that i find super attractive it's as if all of that "smartness" goes out the window. I wind up saying things that the following day i'm kicking myself for because they were so assinine. I wind up seeming like the dude at the supermarket who like to spray cleaner on the windows and then lick them. What i'm saying is, i think hot girls actually give guys a mental block, and make us temporarily VERY stupid. That said, my wife is very beautiful. Hope this post is something others can relate to, i'm hope i'm not the only one this happens to.

• More from Guys
    72

3 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more