How do you stop regretting a mistake you made?

I'm going crazy just thinking about this mistake I made. I hurt this guy's feelings (he likes me though I'm not so sure anymore) and I tried to talk to him about it but he was being a complete jerk to me. I don't know why I bothered at all.. but I was just feeling so guilty because I never intended to hurt his feelings.

I tried to do the right thing by talking to him but he was pretending as though nothing had happened, was going out of his way to ignore me and when I tried to talk to him he was being sarcastic.

I can't figure out if he is actually hurt or just being a jerk?

Most Helpful Girl

• If he had more feelings than you, then naturally he's also more hurt than you. Thus, this is his defense mechanism. He's just trying to hurt you, by being a jerk, because you hurt him. Even if you weren't a jerk, you just rejected him.
    Basically I don't think anyone can ever "stop" regretting something, regret is usually something that doesn't go away. But like all things, it'll blow over and at some point you'll stop thinking about it and feeling this guilt.
    But let me just tell you that you shouldn't feel regret for anything. Yes, his feelings were hurt, but what were you supposed to do? Pretend that you still like him? No, that would just be even more mean and unfair. He needs to grow up and stop acting like a jerk just because you don't feel the same way. You can't control your feelings. And neither can he, but the very least he can do is not act like a dick towards you. He's allowed to feel hurt, but lashing out on you like this is just immature on his part. So you dodged a bullet and I don't think you should feel guilty. This was not something you could control.

• Thank you! Your answer was really very helpful! :)

The sad part is is that my intentions were good and I was disappointed by his behaviour. He is generally a nice guy to everyone (so much so that I don't think anyone would believe me if I told them that he acted this way) so I was really surprised when he behaved this way with me. I didn't realize that he was so immature and would resort to this behaviour just cause he felt rejected. I just wanted to have a decent conversation about this with him but I realized too late that he's just not worth it. The biggest regret I have is trying to talk to this jerk and wasting my time on him even though I didn't have to do it.

What Guys Said 2

• Never regret just learn from it.

• It depends, some people blow things out of proportion so you've gotta chase them around and grovel to make it up to them. If you really did hurt his feelings properly then you should wait a while before sorting it.

What Girls Said 1

• He probably is hurt. But being like that because he wants to be hostile towards you.

• Why would he want to be hostile towards me?