Would you date someone with Asperger's?

If you don't know what Asperger's Syndrome is, it's technically a type of Autism, but a very mild one.

• Yes
  • No
Why or why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Someone with Asperger's wouldn't probably date me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah if I was attracted to him. My best friend has asbergers and I've had a few other friends with it in the past.

Sometimes they're blunt or rude without knowing it but I'm not bothered by it and don't take it personally. I'm not sensitive and I appreciate honesty so that's a plus. They sometimes don't like loudness or crowds, but as an introvert I completely relate. I also have social anxiety and depression so I know what it's like to have social issues.
    They tend to have particular interests they're obsessively passionate about, which I think is really fun if it's an interest we have in common.
    Most people I've met with asbergers have the best humor ever and I love their quirkiness.

What Guys Said 24

• I suppose so? So long as it doesn't impede on daily life much.

• As someone with Asperger's, obviously, but you need to realise that even Asperger's has gradations. Some people have such a mild form of it that you hardly even realise.

• I don't know. It's hard to say without actually experiencing it, but for the meantime, I'm inclined to say yes.

• I would, if I liked her. ☺

• Possibly.

• High functioning, yes. On the lower spectrum, it would depend on how much the person has worked on overcoming their emotional and social development. I wouldn't want to date a person so innocent they seem like a child...
    That said, I have dated and know several women with Asperger's. They are all very unique and have an amazing view of life.

• I'm pretty sure every girl I've met would qualify for a place on the ASD if she were born male, so yes, I would.

• i have enough problems on my own to take care of so no

• I;ve got it, a very mild form so yeah

• Pass.

• Emotional interactions are pretty important to me...

• Better Asperger's than Tourettes.

• I would date someone with Asperger's. I have Asperger's myself.

• i have Aspergers so yes.

• My father is, it's hell

• Yeah... I might actually be able to have an intelligent conversation with them.

• What are the main symptoms?

• not really.

• Thought all women had assburgers.

• I fell in love with a woman with Aspergers but she didn't feel the same way about me. I would be proud to have her as my girlfriend.

• nope

• Only if she was sexy.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 21

• Ableism on this website is at such an accelerated saturation that it can never be cured or reformed in any way. This website is completely useless.

• It appears that SJWs will NEVER run out of dumb-ass words to complain about invented grievances.

• I would because there are different levels of Asperger's. I once had a friend in high school who one day told our friend group that he had Asperger's, and everybody was surprised because it was barely noticeable. After he told us I could kind of see it as he would sometimes talk a little too much or say something inappropriate, but it was never anything too extreme or make me not want to date him.

• No, I would not date someone with Asperger's because sometimes I'm an impatient person who's too blunt and too honest for my own good. I'd probably unintentionally make them feel self-conscious or not be able to meet the intensive emotional needs they need from a partner.

• The question is more about what people do who would date someone with asperger's vs the people that would not date someone with asperger's? Much more interesting...

• Probably, depending on the individual's characteristics.

• Yes, actually.
    I've read an anecdote of a girl who was kind of in a relationship with a guy with Asperger's.. it was a beautiful story.

• I have done, & would do again. In fact I find autistic people easier to interact w/, I don't know why. I've been tested but not diagnosed.

• The guy I'm dating not only has Asperger's, but also suffers from Selective Mustism, and Social Anxiety Disorder.

• Probably not, to be honest. As they typically lack empathy, I don't want to be with someone who will consistently hurt my feelings. It doesn't matter that it's unintentional. They probably won't be able to prevent themselves from doing it in the future so that just sounds like a bad time all around.

• It's actually a misconception that we all lack empathy. We do accidentally offend people a lot, but personally, when I do and I realize it, I feel terrible, and apologize profusely.

• Neurotypical society will not accept you like you want them to accept you, no matter how hard you sell out your neuroatypical sisters

• I'm really sorry. I hope we can discuss this rationally later, but for now I think you need to cool down.

• Nope.

• yes i have aspergers myself.

• Very unlikely

• I don't want to seem like a bitch but no I don't want to give my life up if they're even kinda crazy.

• I did, and I won't again. It was really hard to feel like our relationship was ever getting somewhere, and by the end he was using his Asperger's to explain him abusing me.

• I'm worried they won't understand my emotions or they are super boring.

• If the emotions are expressed well enough, it won't be a matter of not understanding your emotions; but of persistently second-guessing your motives behind said expressions of emotion. The desire is for a singular coherent trail of breadcrumbs to lead to a singular definitive solution; so that they can, as Blink182 put it "trace the cord back to the wall."

If you throw a hundred cords, or leave open the possibility of many trails of breadcrumbs, you will frustrate them if they cannot discern which crumbs are relevant to which trail; and of which trail is relevant to the quest of resolving whatever emotionally troubles you.

Be mindful of the red herrings you toss. It will become a problem for them. And whether they mean to or not, they will make it your problem as well.

• No..

• yes no problem :)

• I would, if you like someone don't let what others consider a disability get in the way, if you dont see it that way neither should anyone else you should be aloud to he happy

• no, never someone who has a mental problem. It's too troublesome

• i work with autistic individuals and they don't have an understanding of everything in the world

• Nor do you... clearly.

• @angell I know what the question was and i stand by my statement they don't have a great understanding of the world and everything why would i want to date someone who doesn't have an understanding of certain things that I already have. You don't have to agree with me it's my opinion; you have yours and I have mine. You said "You're immediate reaction to autistic people is to call them stupid" end quote I never said autistic people were stupid you did I said they don't have an understanding how that calling someone stupid? Like you said no one has an understanding of everything; i never typed stupid you need to speak for yourself and not for me. Again it's just those without the disorder have a better understand of things. You said "You sound like the stereotypical abusive special ed teacher I'm used to hearing about." sounds like you are accusing me of something that isn't true at all. Oh by the way I'm not a special ed teacher I actually work in the house with them.

• "People without this disorder have a better understanding of things"... so, all non-autistics are more intelligent than autistics?

This is an untrue, bigoted assumption.

Can you prove it? Anecdotes are useless to me. Send me studies, or stop making shit up. ✌

• Yeah if he is a rich nerd with a good job.

• Then you out yourself as a gold digger. That's dangerous if you wish to play in that ballpark. There are few they perceive as a threat faster than gold diggers.