Can living with depressed people make you depressed?

I have been living with my mom for over 24 years now... she has been depressed all her life, my older sister too (she was obviously prone to it) now i am depressed... they gave me pills... i used to be so happy and calm... i ruined my life basically... is this possible?

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont think so. Can effect you but not that much

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes if you are around negative energy that will definitely effect you. If you're around positive people you will start to become positive. So just be around positive people, try to meditate. Write down what your feeling at the moment. You have to get back up, if you don't then you have ruined your life.

• should i move out?

• That's your decision. Maybe get some positive people around you excercising is also a great way to be positive. Save some money and if you can try to always go out and do things.

What Guys Said 3

• Absolutely, you state of mind can be altered by those around you. If you are constantly bombarded by negative views and depression, then you can become depressed yourself.

• I think no because proper depression comes from within, it could really drag you down until you change your surroundings though.

• Yes.

What Girls Said 2

• depression can simply be hereditary and often doesn't appear until later in life or until it is triggered. depression is a chemical and hormonal imbalance in the brain and likely has little to do with living with your family, though living with them may have triggered what was already there

i know mine was triggered in high school though it wasn't high school that caused it because i was happy there at first and there was nothing bad happening at the time

• nope it doesn't ı will help them