Does dating another guy the day before you become official counts as cheating?

My boyfriend of 5 months is upset about this. Apparently he found an old message about the other guy (Mark) inviting me out on a date and we making out.

That was the last time Mark and I contacted each other. That was the day before I started dating my boyfriend. I was still not his girlfriend at that moment. But he still feels cheated on because he didn't know I was testing my options.

• No, you weren't his girlfriend at that moment so it's not cheating
  • Yes, though you weren't dating at that moment, it's still cheating
The day Mark asked me to become officially boyfriend and girlfriend, I texted Mark saying I'm now in a relationship.

Most Helpful Guy

• You weren't cheating, at that moment u were single.

Your boyfriend is just caught up in his emotions.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on whether you fucked the other guy or gave him sexual favors. If you did so with that guy, but not with your current boyfriend BEFORE you became official... it's slutty but not cheating. If you were hooking up with those two guys at once, official or not, I would consider that cheating. That's not okay

What Guys Said 2

• It's not cheating but I would have serious doubts about dating you if you are making out and going out on dates just before we became official. While technically not officially going out I would think we are in good standing with each other that would wouldn't be talking to other people if we are that far along in the courting process. Not cheating, but kinda wrong what you did.

• It's just that my boyfriend made me change my mind the following day after going out with Mark so I chose him. Then I texted Mark afterwards informing him that I'm now in a relationship.
      Before we became official, I just wasn't sure who to choose.

• Reminds me of the engaged guys who fuck other women right up to their wedding day.

• It's not the same because those guys had a committed relationship by then (they had already been more than an oficial couple so that's cheating). We weren't even boyfriend and girlfriend at that moment.

What Girls Said 5

• It's not cheating but it's still a crappy thing to do.

• You were on a BREAK!
    ...

• It wasn't cheating but I think you should have told him.

• It doesn't really matter. He just feels upset you were considering other people, try to make him feel better

• It's not cheating, at least to me, BUT I think that's why it's so important to set the boundaries of the "relationship" even before it's official... this includes the "exclusivity" talk... you guys should have talked about whether, while you were just seeing each other, you two would be exclusive or if you two were free to see other people before anything became official.

• yeah, it should have been talked about. I just assumed that it wouldn't matter at that moment.

• Yeah. I mean, on the one hand, I can understand that he's upset about it, but on the other hand, it was never decided between the two of you to be exclusive to each other. Maybe bring that up to him, and let him know that because those "boundaries" weren't defined, then it wasn't like you were doing anything wrong.