If a girl isn't white but she's been westernized since toddler years, will she still maintain her roots?

Or will she sound more white even though she really isn't.

For instance an Asian girl vs a westernized Asian girl or native Latina vs westernized Latina. I think there must be differences between native girls that came to western countries at much later ages vs girls raised in westernized countries from a very early age.

• She will still maintain her roots
  • Nope, she's going to be like a white girl

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends how westernized her family, as well as how westernized the crowd she hangs around with socially is.

For example, around where I live, there's a suburb where 99% of the population living within it is made up of south-east Asians. I doubt that an Asian girl who grows up there will become sufficiently 'westernized'. If she grows up in an area/neighborhood filled with more white people, though, she won't 'maintain her roots' quite as well.

• Yeah. I knew of one Colombian girl raised in NJ that spoke very little Spanish. I was surprised. When she tried speaking some phrases in Spanish, she had an accent.

• hah yeah, it's the weirdest things. One kid who I work with is Chinese and the English spoken by both of his parents is quite poor. Maybe not even beyond high-school level. I couldn't believe it when he told me but he can't speak a word of Mandarin, nor can he understand it when they're having a conversation between just the two of them. -_-

What Girls Said 6

• if you were raised around white people then you are going to adopt their ways and culture. you become like whoever you were raised around

• You can tell I'm latina from a mile away. And it's not just my appearance.

• Depends how you were raised though. As my mom and most of my family don't even speak English despite living here

• True.

• It depends, I grew up in America but I've maintained my roots 100%

• Depends how strong is the family root and how traditional is the family.

• Had a Mexican friend born and raised in america go visit family in Mexico and they made fun of her for being so white lol

• Some do some don't. I was raised in the West, and I'm half western, but I really stick strongly to roots on my other side too. I know a few people like me and a few who you'd never guess had other backgrounds.

What Guys Said 5

• What I've noticed as a general rule, is that the first western born generation is a mix. They are largely westernized, but retain much of their heritage passed down from parents and relatives. The next generation only retains a small amount of their heritage. More in name only, than any way that affects their personality. By the third generation, the heritage is pretty much completely gone.

• Varies from person to person. There are some Asian people who are little more than white people dressed differently (me). Then you have those who are far more invested in the culture and learn all the nuances of it.

Generally if they grew up in a similar community her heritage will be stronger since they interacted with others from the same ethnic group.

• C: Depends on her upbringing at home. Cultural Background has different value to different people. Some won't care at all, others will care a great deal.

• True. There was this girl born in Colombia that's been raised in NJ since she was 2. It was kind of shocking that she only speak some phrases in Spanish and when she tried, she sounded like a white girl trying to speak Spanish.
      In appearances she didn't look white at all but in her manner and not speaking Spanish, yes she sounded white alright.

• I think it depends on the girl, her family for instance I know many immigrant families who speak their native language at home. Will she be more in tune with her new country than someone who moves later in life, yes but how much she adapts is up to her.

• She won't look western xD also not sure if her parents idea of "western" was correct... But I'd assume character wise she would be western then