You are having dinner with your boyfriend, and he gets a phonecall that lasts more than 10 minutes what do you do?

You are having dinner with your significant other. He receives a phone call. He has a full conversation. What do you do? I felt disrespected and left. Was I wrong?

You are having dinner with your significant other. He receives a phone call. He has a full conversation. What do you do? I felt disrespected and left. Was I wrong? It wasn't an emergency, he had a casual conversation about some races going on Sunday which he is attending with his brother. It wasn't anything serious that couldn't wait 15 minutes until we finished eating dinner. Instead he talked the whole time like if I wasn't there. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll swap genders here, because I'm a straight male.

It depends on the level of urgency of that call. If it was her boss who wanted some urgent information, or a friend/family who had some emergency, I wouldn't mind at all. But if it was just someone who wanted to have mindless chatter with her, I would be really disappointed.

• Thanks, it was neither an emergency nor work related. It was his brother and they were just having a casual conversation about horse races.

• That was poor judgement on his part. He could have waited until the dinner was over, and called his brother back. So yeah, you feeling disrespected is justified.

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess it depends on your situation and how your boyfriend is. The guy I am seeing sometimes gets emergency calls, and he has to take them. I totally get it. I don't get mad. Maybe it's a family emergency or just a friend in need. I am just happy when he comes back. I see no reason to get mad. I can see if he's constantly leaving dinner. But if he respectfully leaves then comes back there's nothing wrong with that.

If it was someone who was just looking to make plans tomorrow, well they can wait. I personally screen calls before I answer, because if it's not important then I won't answer. Most people can send a message to you via text or something else if it's not urgent.

• Thanks and because of the type of conversation they were having it wasn't an emergency and he sat there and talked on the phone like if I wasn't there throughout the whole dinner. He expects me to be ok with it.

• That would bug me so much! When I am having dinner with a guy or even just friends, and I get a call, I always try to keep it short. If it's an emergency situation I let them know. I think u have a right to be mad.

What Guys Said 7

• If it was real buisness work related or family emergency I could understand but just a friendly chat I'd be pissed and it proves he's a disrespectful insensitive prick

• Was he talking to some schmuck or was it important? Family or work related?

• Mind your own damn business like a guy would in the same situation.

• Assume his mom had a stroke and leave him alone. It's disrespectful towards you, but there is no need to be rude to him in return. Just find someone who has the class to make you a priority.

• Yes, you were wrong. You don't have a clue what the phone call was about or why he had to take it then and there.

• Give him a pissed off look the whole time since that's rude

• what if it was an emergency, or what if it was work related. you dont know that

What Girls Said 20

• I understand that you two were having dinner together, and this generation seems as if they cannot put their phones away or silence it to share intimate moments with the people they care for.
    I would have spoke to him about this before reacting in such an extreme manner.
    If he continued to do that (in other situations) , then I would have reacted the way you did.
    The communication barrier needs to be worked on if you want your relationship to work.
    Verbally speak before reacting.

• Thanks but it had not happened before during dinner. We had other situations where I arrived at his place and he was on the phone I sat there and actually waited over 2 hours and he never hanged up so I left. Then when we spoke I told him that wasn't right to me. And again he said you know am talking to my brother, then I explained I understand but if I am coming over to spend time with you, talk to you wth am I doing here if you are not going to pay me no mind.

• Okay, well it did happen before though just in a different setting. Based on the discussion you had prior and your reaction he should have some respect for you. Circumstances would be different if it were a emergency situation but it wasn't. He should value your time and silence his phone.
      This generation sadly , is glued to it and can't value moments with those in the flesh and would rather be on social media or a phone. It's sad.
      You should ignore him for a few days so it sinks into his mind that what he did was wrong.

• You weren't wrong in feeling like what he did was out of line. That'd be pretty rude for anyone to do.

What would I do? I'd tell him that was really rude and that I'd appreciate if he not do that again in the future unless it's a work call or something truly urgent.

• It'd depend.

Is it business? Was it someone who has a bad habit of being a bit overbearing and over talkative and he was maybe trying not to be rude?

It would be annoying but I wouldn't go so far as to get that bent out of shape about it unless it became a habit. I'd probably even tell him I found it pretty annoying and tell him to avoid it in the future but I wouldn't get up and leave.

• No your not wrong. If it's disrespectful to you then it was disrespectful to you. To be honest I would feel weird and left out. If he said, excuse me [fill in the blank] and then left, I would understand. But it should not be done at the dinner table. It could have been an emergency. But that is why you excuse yourself. It's not right to do that to a person, nor is it classy. Let alone attractive. Your bound to lose interest very quickly.

• Thanks he sat there and talked on the phone the whole time. Later on he messaged and said that it wasn't like I didn't know who he was talking to.

• hi, unless it was an emergency which wouldn't last that long or his child then totally unacceptable and disrespectful. he should of said he was at dinner with you or busy and ended the call. thats worse than someone at a checkout on the phone because thats a stranger and you are his partner. who was it? and did you bring it up afterwards? what was his excuse/reason?

• With no idea what the phone conversation was about I will have to say sit there quietly and wait.

I mean, was it his mum, was it his boss, was it his ex saying his daughter had died? Not all conversations can be ended with "excuse me I'm eating pasta, goodbye"

You're 30 and you don't have this grasp? Really?

• Where? At home or outside? If it's at home I don't mind because dinner at home tends to be more casual. But if it's outside like at restaurant, It definitely upsets me especially if the call isn't urgent or emergency. Tell him that you aren't happy with what he did and do not do it again in the future.

• I guess it depends on what the phone call was about? If it was just a friend with random talk then yes of course I would have felt disrespected. My husband to be honestly won't even answer his texts or phone if we are together unless he is expecting a call which he tells me. He started that on his own I never once told him he had to.

• Was it a business call?
    Did his mother call?

It really depends how "important" the call was. He couldve politely have gotten up and walked away to take the phone call somewhere else OR he couldve chose to say "I'll call you back."

If he's my boyfriend he would know I wouldn't like it. Its good that you left, he did disrespect your dinner date.

• I wouldn't worry about it. There will be other dinners and other dates.

• No I'd be pissed. That was rude and disrespectful. I'd have said something to him if not during then after the call.

• Having dinner at home? Or out on a date?

• Not really as it could be for a number of reasons

• No, it's not wrong at all.

I would have asked why he couldn't have asked them to call back later when he wasn't busy, and been pretty annoyed myself. I know if I done that to my man on a date he'd feel exactly the same.

• I will get out my phone. I don't know

• i'd think nothing of it. never have been bothered by that.

• Depends on who it is and what its about.

• I would try and engage in what he was talking about and who too. it might be an important phone call or something as part of his work. You never know. But I would also feel a little disrespected

• Depends on who it was and how urgent it was. I probably would have left though.

• I browse on my phone