Diference between being interested vs liking someone?

Many people dont understand this concept and I'd like to get your opinions on this.

I believe that being interested in someone or a friend means wanting to get to know that person on a deeper level and if we both end up liking each other then we can date. This could be the "seeing each other" phase with or without hooking up.

Now, liking someone is a completely different story. When you like someone, it means you already like the person as he/she is. Everything about that person you like and you just want to date them.

So the point here is, if I was to tell my friend that I am interested in her, how can I make her understand that I dont like her but I am willing to get to know her in a deeper level without making her think that like her already? Because lots of poeple when you tell them you're interested automatically think you like them and of course that is wrong.

• There's no difference between both of them, they mean the same
  • Both are different

Most Helpful Girl

• nuh uhhh. because if you're interested in them, you have to like them on some level.

wtfahhh

Most Helpful Guy

• You have set your own definition and guidelines here.

Why not just say that you are interested in getting to know them.

For me I guess being interested is showing curiosity in someone that I already like by way of being attracted to them. So they mean almost the same thing by my definition.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• I do think there's a difference in connotation. However, I wouldn't count on that kind of subtle difference to come across when you're telling someone you're "interested".

>> So the point here is, if I was to tell my friend that I am interested in her, how can I make her understand that I dont like her but I am willing to get to know her in a deeper level without making her think that like her already?

Just ask her out -- plain and simple. No confessions of feelings, just, "Hey, I know this (insert place/event) at (insert location/time). Wanna go?"

It's that simple. And when you get her there, turn up the heat. Work towards touching and kissing and sharing intimate thoughts and so forth.

And if that doesn't work out (either she refuses to go on the date or the date just flat-lines and you or her lose interest in taking it further), no biggie. Move to the next girl you're interested in.

• No i can't ask her out because im moving away for 2 years but i just want to let her know that if i was to stay in the city i would have been interested in dating her. I dont like her yet though.

• @ak666 the thing is that i always joke around telling her that whenever im back im gonna marry her and she better not have a boyfriend cause then im gonna be heart broken blablabla. And she just laughs all the time and says oh yea you have yo be back for that. But its always been a joke. And i wouldn't do LDR but i like your idea though. Maybe when im away things will heat up or maybe not we'll see.

@3336PS wow thats an interesting situation you had! I think i would be a little bit hurt if she dated another guy but i dont do long distance relationship so if she does end up getting a guy then ill be there for her as a friend. If not then ill give it a shot. Although, right now she still likes her ex boyfriend. They dated for a year and a half and they broke up cause he needed some time for himself yet they talk everyday but they never hang out. So who knows what will happen.

Exactly! Yea it would hurt a little bit but i rather have her as a friend and be single or with someone. thats why i dont do any long distance relationship cause she and i could meet a person anytime anywhwre and start liking them. Although she still likes her ex. Hmmmm i dont know we will see what happens.