Is it wrong not to give a man a chance because he's less educated than I am?

I'm not judging anyone with less education. I just prefer someone with an education, simply because I'm working towards that. I feel we would have more in common and talk about. Some people get mad when I tell them that's my preference but school was a big part of my life growing up and it would be nice to have someone that shares that same view.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and no.

No because who you date is your choice. Let's be honest we all judge people by things before we get to know them. I don't normally find people who drink all the time a good match because I don't enjoy going out drinking every week.

Yes because you're assuming that's how love works. If people could explain feelings the earth would be a much simpler place. You're pre-judging those "less educated" then yourself and that's foolish. Paper qualifications don't make you smart.

I'm going to use myself as an example. For the last four years I've worked completely shit jobs. Everything from cleaning oil tanks out on ships to shop work. It's been varied. Nothing that requires an education. My choice at 18 was not to get into £45k+ debt right out of school as they had just tripled the fees in the UK.

I found myself feeling stuck so I looked back at my A levels, counted my UCAS points up (we use those in the UK to get onto university courses) and applied for a software development with the final year in robotic engineering. Got accepted. I also had an offer of a wielding apprenticeship (they get paid £35+ an hour where I live) so had a choice of either. One might seem like a better education but I'm still me. That doesn't change at all.

I couldn't date someone I couldn't have a conversation with but saying it's because he's less educated isn't looking at the bigger picture. Not every that doesn't have a qualification on paper is stupid. We all fall short somewhere. Mine is my English skills. My writing has always been terrible because of dyslexia. To be judged by that would be a little annoying although to be honest I wouldn't date anyone who judged me for that either. How could I?

Less education doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean you couldn't get along with him. Although some people are painfully dumb. That's a fact of life just like some a painfully arrogant or any other number of character traits nobody want to put up with.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you're seriously limiting yourself in some respects, if I may.

There's a difference between having things in common, the ability to have an intellectual conversation and then valuing somebody's educational status. Educational status really could be regarded as a superficial thing to value in many respects, because it doesn't necessarily speak for how intelligent a person is. Of course, this is a matter of perception and I won't claim to feel either which way, but I digress.

If somebody is everything you want, and they are on par with you intellectually, I see no reason to take what schooling they've had into factor. But, I also believe people are allowed to have whatever standards they want, so I don't think you're wrong or a bad person for having the standards and preferences that you do, it's just as I said: you could be limiting yourself.

What Guys Said 21

• i think it's somewhat of wrong to presume that a guy with less education may not be able to hold a conversation with you. a person with less education could potentially still be an intellectual equal or even superior.

i would just want to get to know a person before presuming they aren't on my level

• There are several aspect to consider if evaluating education here. Some people that spend their life studying and educating themselves from books and lectures are in all honesty dumb as a box of rock when it comes time for practical implementation. But on the other hand a person that is always hands on sees the workings of various things. While maybe they aren't book savvy or as you put it less educated their level of understanding may lastly outreach you own.

• are you saying "I am not dating him because he went to school x and y" or are you saying "I am not dating him because I cannot have intellectual conversations with him"?

The former makes you a shallow bitch. The latter a sensible human being.

• Having a preference makes me a bitch?

• a preference for which school someone went to?

haha, yes, it does

• Not "wrong", but you could be depriving yourself of a guy who could make you happier than any other man.

• Unless and until that person is dump as fuck Or illiterate there if no reason for your to judge anyone based on their education...
    I mean this is a new level of pickyness...
    If you are judging completely on the basis on how much degrees a man holds and if his degrees are less then yours then your are an idiot...

But then after all you will do whatever comes in your mind so why bother asking a question like this here?
    Why do you give a fuck as to what we have to say..
    And remember being so picky could miss you the chance of having a man of yours dreams...
    So careful what you wish for

• It all depends on the guy... some people are educated and still stupid as shit (common sense-wise).

If the guys is smart but never had the chance to get an education due to financial reason etc., then he could be just as bright as you, or anyone else.

• I think it's a mistake - academic success does not equal intelligence or wisdom, which seems to be what you're really after here.

• Pretty sure most girls are like that. It's completely normal.

• yes, I am more ''educated'' and intelligent than anybody I ever met yet I do not reject peers for not being as smart as me. why? because while I am smart and educated I also have a couple of syndromes (aspergers and add) and I know I would not like it if I was rejected for my personal issues so I am grateful to anybody who accepts me. the same goes for your situation. If someone accepts you socially and is willing to accept you should flattered. How would you feel if someone you really liked rejected you for something as minuscule as education? Besides, what is education? the person who you are rejecting will always know something you dont. For example, he may be educated in something a little more artistic like music, drawing etc. Or he may have been in school two years to become a engineer. should he reject you for not knowing what he is interested in? Do you see how unfair that is? education gets complicated because it is more than just academic studies.

• education is an ambiguous term.

One might be book smart but not life smart whereas another might be life smart but not book smart

• No, we are all entitled to our own standards, unless you don't date guys who like game of thrones, that's fucked up.

• If that's your preference, you have the right for it. Just don't judge lesser educated people necessarily as more stupid than higher educated people. I've seen cases, where the opposite of it is true.

• I don't think it's wrong really. You are limiting yourself doing so though.
    Many of the greatest thinkers had little to no schooling.

• well everyone is entitled to their preferences.

• Who cares? Do what you want, you will anyways.

• Not saying it's weird, but uncommon

• It's fine, I doubt those people would want to give you a chance either anyway.

• Yes it is, marks only tell you how well educated others think you are.

• "Is it wrong not to give a man a chance because he's less educated than I am? I'm not judging anyone with less education." Um, it kinda seems like you are.

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with a preference. To me, personally it sounds like pity.

• It's not wrong but his level of education shouldn't define who he really is as a person.

What Girls Said 3

• Its not really considered wrong. But sometimes the less educated becomes the most successful because they don't ever deprive themselves from doing what they want and they have the freedom to think irrationally.

I dated a guy who dropped out of college, but he was so motivated and very career oriented. He encouraged me on times where I would put myself down.

• I don't exclude such option.
    But i did learn that by my age, and due to ed. level, we view things differently.

I did give a guy 3rd date. Other obstacles came in between such as culture and some common knowledge differences.

• that's your prerogative