Would you date a former racist?

I was a member of a group before. Though nothing extreme was really done. It was basically convincing speeches, writting graffitis on walls and trying to get as many as possible in join in. If someone spoke against it or wanted to quit, he/she would be excluded and branded as a traitor.
I've been involved since I was 9. An older relative got me included and for a long time I saw nothing wrong.

Something happened (won't go into details) and it's been already 2 years since getting out of the group. I have no intentions of ever going back nor becoming like them again.

• No, I don't date former racists
  • Yes, as long as it's in the past and you changed ok
  • Maybe but would have to think about it
  • Other, explain
Would I have wanted to be someone better? Yes, but unfortunately I can't change my past. Do I like it? No

Most Helpful Guy

• There was a man in the sixties (I forget his name) who was part of the KKK, he was an extreme member he hated all black people. His son was going to a school that got a new black principle, he had one of the black mothers do something in the school I can't recall what the job was exactly but this man hated the thought and stated to the principle that he wasn't happy about him being there and sure as hell wasn't going to let "niggers" teach his son and dictate what he can and cannot do. So the principle called him out told him fine, he could work with the woman as well. So he did. Long story short after a year of working with her he quit the Clan, and became an active campaigner for reforms. He was awarded multiple times for all of his work in civil rights activism. The fact is people change. If they change for the better to hold their past against them is to essentially condone it because you refuse to let them deviate from that path thus encouraging them to continue down it. So no, I see no issue so long as the person has changed.

Most Helpful Girl

• You were 9 years old, and practically indoctrinated into it. Can't really blame you for that, I'm just happy you saw the light, and that no one was hurt. I'd date someone who had genuinely changed and become a different person.

What Guys Said 17

• If you've changed, then there's no reason why not. As you say, you can't change the past, so both you and a future (?) partner must put it behind you and move forward.

• You changed and saw the error of your ways.
    I'm not going to screw you over because you found out what you were doing was wrong and that you are redeeming yourself.
    If anything that makes me like you more.
    That shows that you have a good moral compass as you realize what you were doing is wrong and left.
    A lot of people wouldn't have as their family would be that group

• Even though i put yes I would be VERY hesitant. We all have done stupid shit in our life I won't go into detail on my shit lol. But thats life so long as you were relatively young when you were doing the foolishness I see no prob. You don't have like racist ideals still hanging around in your head do you?

• No, I don't. It's been two years since I want nothing to do with it.

• Damn something pretty crazy must've happened based upon your response... If you want nothing to do with it. Oh well fine by me your ok with this guy (thumbs up)

• I think that is absurd. First, All lives Matter. Despite what race you are, It does not single anyone out and it does not put your value at a different level with anyone else. This instead levels the playing field. No favorites. Just the way it should be.

• Probably either KKK member or a Black lives matter member , one of those nonsense brain washed retards. Fucking racists, cheaters and ISIS are ruining the world, legalize the purge so we can murder them, world would be a better place

• Yea considering I've dated a racist and I have some friends who are racist.

• Probably not because she could be a racist pretending to be a former racist or maybe she'll turn racist again.

• Only if we can have sex in nazi-uniforms still.

• It's a thing about kids, they get very easily influenced and dragged into some "cool" ideology. As long as you understand that you were wrong I guess I would be ok with this.

• I'd be willing to date a racist but not a cult racist; since it's in the past then I guess it's fine.

• i dont care if they are racist or not.

• So what group do you conform to now?

• None. I just want to live my own life and forget about this past, forget everything I've ever said about people that didn't deserve it, etc. I just want to start all over from zero.

• I'm just asking because people that tend to get involved with shit like that seem to be easily influenced by groups and have a need for belonging... For all I know in two years you might run off and start stock piling weapons for Armageddon in the mountains of Montana or join a religious cult with a suicide pack or whatever...

• Not a problem with me.

• Only if you're white.

• yes.. people change

• I doubt it, I mean it was probably someone hating on us white men as per usual.

• Yes, that's my only past. I never slept around nor did any drugs nor any of that. It was just me being a close-minded racist.

• I feel you man, don't get to into it though or you will start to hate other people and be a racist yourself lol We are taken advantage of and assumed to be rich and yada yada cause we white, no scholarships for us and such either

• Nope...

What Girls Said 6

• No, I wouldn't date a former racist. Who knows when they can go back to their old behavior?
    Plus, I'm a black. So, obviously a racist or a former racist would never be interested in me.

• I actually regret it though. I've been trying to start all over, back to zero. If there was a way I could take it all back, I would.

• I understand. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about your past.
      So, now all you can is moving on and forget what happened.

• are you talking about the ku klux klan?
    and fuck no, what if their former companions find out and victimize me?

• If they were being forced, and have changed, Idc.

• Only if they will not go back to their racist ways

• Maybe, but I would question the honesty, but you added that you defaced property by vandalizing by writing graffiti Seriously that's against the law and regardless of your group affiliation gang you still have a conscience and should have known its wrong to do

• People can change, their outlook and views can change but I'd never date a former racist , because I'd never know how deeprooted his hatred had been or still was I'd never really know for sure if deep down his views had sincerely changed.

I judge people by past behaviour , because even if they've changed, their past behaviour will always be their potential. So there's a possibility they'll go back to their old ways again.