If a guy asks you to the movies... Is it a date?

I'm in college. I don't want to date until I'm out of this year because it is crucial for my career.

He just asked me. I don't want to date him. I think he likes me but I'm not positive. He knows I don't want to date anyone right now. I even made him invite another person to the movies before I agreed. I said yes to go because we are really good friends.

If if a guy asked a girl to the movies is it definitely a date?

Most Helpful Guy

• Its 50/50, depends on the guy. I asked a female friend to the movies once, and it was purely because I just wanted to hangout with her before heading off to college. My best advice can be this, go to the movies once with him, and see how he acts, It doesn't hurt to just go, see what he does or if he makes a move. If he doesn't make a move, then chances are, he is just your friend and wants to hangout, if he does make a move, well then you have your answer there.

Personally, as someone who has had female friends, I have been on the other side and gone through this a LOT. I have lost female friends because of this same type of scenario though since I'm a guy. They think every nice thing I do, every chivalrous thing, every time I try and ask them to hangout is just me wanting to get into their pants. It hurts, because some of these people I thought were really good friends, just didn't trust me, and kicked me aside. This goes both ways though, as opposite sex friends are always hard to see intentions unless you actually hangout with them.

Give him a chance, find out his intentions, and maybe this will show you he is either A: a male friend you can now hangout with, without the worry of getting romantic and just having fun instead, or B: see that his intentions are more, and set him in his place.

Hope this helps :)

Most Helpful Girl

• No.

I go to movies one on one with friends (boys as well as girls) fairly often. Also, brunch, dinners, etc.

- - - Honestly, he knows. You've told him, so if he creates a fantasy in his head about it. That's all him, not you.

Just because he's a dude doesn't mean he doesn't like to be alone at movies either. lol

What Guys Said 19

• I'd say most likely -- at least I'd think he's strongly leaning towards being interested in you as more than a friend, unless he really makes it seem like he's not interested in anything more than friendship (rare in many parts of the world).

>> I even made him invite another person to the movies before I agreed.

Then maybe not a date. But I still feel like his intentions and desires are to date.

• unless you are also friends

it is most likely a date request

• Yes, I think that can be considered as a date, but I am not 100% sure either.

Should I put the person coming with me in between us to symbolize me not being interested. I mean I would do it in a rude way. I would just make it look as tho the seating got put where I wasn't by him

I just want to make a point. Maybe I should just go with the flow. I don't want either of us go get hurt

Ok. I understand, that's a good thinking.

• If you don't want it to be a date, tell him something like "Hey I'm not ready to be dating you, but I'd love to go as friends" or something.

This little thing called talking too the other person, it's amazing just what kind of things you can find out this way...

• Yes for sure its a date unless your just friends before

• of course he likes you. no ther reason to befriend a girl.

don't give me the "not all guys blah blah"

• So you are going out with him if it is not a date? Consider it hanging out, and if he wants something more then gently turns him down.

If you don't mind, how would I turn him down without hurting his feelings?

He will be hurt too if you refuse to go out with him if he likes you. Making excuses won't work because he will ask you out again.

• Yes, but there are some things that you can do to make sure he knows that you don't want it to be a date. #1 Have the other friend sit in the middle. #2 Pay for your ticket no matter what he says. #3 The last thing is drive yourself and meet him there. Have fun on your not date.

• Not if someone is coming with you then it would just hanging out nothing more..

• If you already friends with him, why not give him a chance? You might actually want to date him after the movie.

• Yes, because no man wants to go to the movies with a woman just for the movie.

• Ask him :-) I don't know

• if you are not close friends and not in a relationshipthan yes its a date

• Please tell me you're not one of those who think they were easily together with a guy

• Yes it is, now go on that date.

• Wow !! I respect your determination about your priorities. Great quality.

• No not always

• Depends, if you made him invite someone else it's no longer a date. I guess it could be, but if you don't want to date anyone, and you've made it clear (as in got a verbal agreement that he gets that) then it wasn't a date request.

If he doesn't know that, then it would be yeah.

Tbh I have a similar issue. If you're asking to meet up with a female friend who you like (met when taken) who has become single (been single a while now), how do you make it clear that you want to be her one to one and sound like the polite person you are?

Ask her straight up so she doesn't come to this website and ask what your words mean😂 honestly if you're asking a girl out you need to make it clear. Maybe start out slow by saying you want to get to know her so she knows there will be no strings at first. But it mostly depends on her personality to how she will react.

It's not to "get to know her though". It's a female who I already know, met at university. We've kept in touch and met up etc. But now she has finally become single (been so for a year now) and moving closer.

So how can you ask, so that it is virtually a date. Basically meeting 1 on 1 with no room to invite other people like other ex classmates, girls or guys etc?

• Unless you say otherwise and since you did then he already knows it's not

What Girls Said 0