Is getting asked out to coffee the same thing as being asked out on a date?

I'm always confused about this. I guess I could just ask, but I don't want to jump the gun and sound like an idiot. When a guy asks a girl out to lunch or coffee, is he basically asking her out on a date? Or if not, does that mean he's interested in being more than just friends?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. That's a date invite.

Seems like everyone agreed with this! Thanks- I guess I turned the same person down twice then. . . .

What Guys Said 15

• Yes, its the chickens way to go on a date.

Back in the olden days, the guy would ask the girl to go for a walk. I've never done a coffee date... lol. In a way, it is a way to allow the woman to be comfortable without much commitment, so she can run, or stay and talk. its still a date.

Last question... who knows...

• Yes, it's the same thing. Men are finally getting wise and going inexpensive until they KNOW that a woman is into them.

• Yes. It is the no pressure easy to escape from first date.
    It is an opportunity for both parties to assess each other as potential mates, without an implied expectation of anything to follow.
    It is a good idea.

• Yeah but it's more casual and a lot less serious

• i think its more of im not even sure i want to know this person so lets do something thats not that time consuming or expensive.

• I'd say it's not as much as a commitment as a date and not spending as much money but to see if a regular date could happen later

• Yes he's asking you out on a date

• pretty much, yeah. only difference being, that you know the setting is drinking coffee together and "on a date" is still open for anything.

• Yes it's a safe first date to go on. If you 2 don't click you both can leave after a cup of coffee, which can be as quick as 15 minutes or you easily can prolong the date if you would want.

• Its a date...

• Yes, because paying for a full date is stupid in a modern society.

• yup.

• It's a date

• Any situation where he can raep is a date.

• No not really

What Girls Said 11

• Only if you two make it a date. All you have to do is ask him. Coffee is just out for coffee just like anything else. It doesn't have to be if you two don't want to. But he does sound interested, so for you it is a date. But just because a guy asked a girl out for lunch or coffee, it doesn't always mean it is. Some do it to hang out in general, while others want to take you out on a date. I wouldn't just hang out with any guy alone, unless it is very clear that it isn't a date. Since I am not interested. But if that is what you two want, then go ahead and have fun. Remember that it is up to him and you to decide if it is or isn't. If it is a short time, it may not be a date. But you will know if he asks to see you again far earlier.

• In my country it isn't. It's just a way of getting to know the person better.

• I am speaking just for myself but it is my opinion that any time a guy asked the girl for private time alone just the two of them, whether it be for lunch, a cup of coffee, a movie or to watch someone bungee jumping off a building he is really asking her for a date. And I think that's good. Now here is my experience. I have found that when I was younger guys would not ask me for a cup of coffee. To them it was a major event to ask a girl out. Most of the time it included dinner and a movie and that was considered a date. Now that I'm 25 guys I meet are obviously older. A guy 28 doesn't think of a date is a major event. If he wants to get to know me and spend some time, a cup of coffee is usually his suggestion and that's fine. Both of us interpret the interaction as a date.

• No but it most probably is a precursor

• Yes, i take it as a casual date.

• Yes it is

• Yes he is asking you out on a casual date and he's interested in being more than just friends. It's usually the first date.

• Usually yes.

• I always assume he likes me and he looks on me as a potential date, but is not committing himself in case he decides he doesn't want to see me again after we go for a coffee. It's less formal and if he doesn't want to see me again then he doesn't owes me an explanation, because it was only two people meeting up for a coffee. No strings attached situation

• Usually it means it's a date, but it could depend on the context. If it was a last-minute, casual thing then maybe it's more of a friendly hangout. However, it he asked you in advance and arranged to take you to a specific venue then it's more romantic/ a proper date.

• It's a date.