Why does the colour of someone's skin matter so much when dating?

Why do people in America seem so hateful and bitter towards each other? Why are there so many racial stereotypes in America? We are all people. We all have good and bad qualities in us regardless of skin colour.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's just a matter of "coincidence" that a person's facial features are more common with certain types of skin colors. Yesterday I saw a gal that happened to have black skin. She was cute to me.

Then we have the preference that everyone else has said.

At the end of the day, I personally don't have a type that I go after. We are all just people after all.

What Guys Said 26

• I don't know, I guess it's just a perception , an assumption without any logic or proper reasoning behind it. It can also be a mental block for some people.

• I think it's because of history and tensions throughout American history over skin color. Wounds that run that deep always leave scars. That and shitty eurocentric beauty standards need to keep getting beat down until they're on the same level as everyone else.

there's no such thing as Eurocentric beauty standards. If you go to another country their beauty standards are going to be different than America, why are you blaming America for having a White majority and having standards that follow that White majoirty?

Once again, not true. There are Asian women with light skin naturally, I've researched it and it had to do with the upper class Chinese not having worked in sun/outside and having lighter skin as a result unlike the lower class. Nothing to do with Europeans at all like you are claiming.

A lot of American White women go tanning or want bigger breasts/ass than they naturally have, whos beauty standard is that then?

https://youtu.be/tkpUyB2xgTM

Check that out and see how much skin color influences children's perceptions of not only beauty but intelligence as well.

• Physical attraction is a very important aspect of a relationship. If I'm not attracted to a black girl, that's not being racist, it just simply means I'm not attracted to her. Just like I can be unattracted to a fat person or someone whose body is completely covered with tattoos and piercings. They're just not my type. Would I ever date a black girl? Possibly yes if I liked her enough and the situation was right. But typically I have other preferences in the traits I'd like to see in my life long partner. Hating somebody as a person for no reason other than being black is racist. You can physically be unattracted to someone and still be their friend. Also, racism doesn't exist in just America, it occurs all over the globe.

• Our system is built from the ground up on the basis of segregation. The world is too big in relation to each individual person. Lines drawns in the sand across the globe. Religion, color, race, culture, class system, kings, peasants...

It was inevitable

• Because sometimes people just can't help it if they're not attracted to a certain skin color. And being a different skin color doesn't mean I'm going to find someone attractive or that they'll be a good partner for me.

It's all about prefrence and we all have em.

As for the racial sterotypes, America is the largest multicultural country on earth with a population of over 300 million people of varying ethnic backgrounds, races, cultures and religions.

• Why you find an acceptable answer let me know

• you could ask the same thing about genders

• Doesn't matter to me at all.

• Because it just does. Many indeed are racist but for many if not most it's just their preference.

• You think we are hateful? Go to Europe, and try to tell me that. Europe is extremely intolerant of any sort of interracial dating.

• What if I told you that race is not just skin colour?

• IT DOESNT!!!

• Wanna not generalize all Americans?

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend you.

Its okay (: I personally don't fall in love with the color, I fall in love with the person

• i just like light skin women doesn't matter what race really..

• Hating your own race and whoring yourself and culture out is not heroic or noble, It's pathetic.

• You like what you like. There's no reason to dwell on it.

• Doesn't make a difference with me

• Racism is a money maker and attention-getter. Those who stir up racial issues stand to make a lot of money. All those racial agitators, like Jesse Jackson are very rich.

• I dunno its weird, i love white skinned girls but im more likely to date a darker to latina skinned woman that a white girl.

• Why does gender matter when dating?

• Because a certain skin color is associated with bad traits like illiteracy, rampant drug use, lack of imagination, disease, bad taste, endless crime, violence, obesity, child pregnancy, poverty, animal like behavior and just stupidity in general.

Maybe you can guess which skin color I have in mind. Stereotypes exist for good reason, if I ever have a reason to believe otherwise maybe I'll change my mind.

• I'm a white male born in US and I refuse to date women from other races because I am not attracted to them. I prefer to date within my own race and that does not make me a racist. Can we please move on to a different topic? Thank you

• it not only skin colour, white people r not atttacted to different facial features...
    white people more aesthetics but black people have broad nose, bigger lips , yellow eyes , bushy hair...
    Asians had closed eyes and small lips and indians have jumpy eyes and thick moustaches...
    this is why white people prefer to date theyre race...

• Racial pride

• It's really shorthand for a cultural war.

• It is always nice to have people who don't live in the US tell us how we should live our lives. If only we weren't too stupid to know those things ourselves. Thank God for foreigners!

What Girls Said 14

• Upbringing & values.

• Well, when American first starting out, there was a lot of racism. Doesn't matter is the person was black, blue, or yellow. Must just seem to have something to say. There was a lot of hatred towards other races back in the days, and the hatred seems to have joined us in our new age, despite how many laws are made, or how many people start a riot, there will always be racism, unless American decided to drop racism, and just accept people for who they are, no matter their race. 😊

• They don't, this type of shit only matters to racist people. Generalizing. Plus stereotypes are fun. If you can't laugh at yourself then that's pretty sad.

• It only matters to ignoramuses. I personally don't give a shit about skin color, because attractive people exist in every race.

• It's just about preferences. Being a good person isn't enough to be dateable. How many guys did you see lining up to fuck Mother Teresa?

I'm personally more attracted to my own race. That's just my preference.

• Because sometimes people aren't attractors to others of a different race. Is that really so bad? It's just about preference.

• Its not an American thing. America is just a bigger melting pot then whatever place your from which i'm sure has a larger white racial then America. Also people would argue its not skin color, its culture.

• Racial mixing is actually good from a genetic standpoint. I guess it's because social stigma here in the U. S. is against mixed couples. Also I mean compatibility is an issue two people of different cultures might not go well together but I always think that opposites attract.

lol why in the Mississippi fuck does this have so many downvotes

• It doesn't only happen in America. If you feel like America is racist against certain skin colors, you should come to Asia and see. I live in Malaysia and darker skin isn't socially accepted by the society.

And what do you think about that

No, the question was what do you think about referring it as a preference... is that right or wrong in your opinion?

@TripleAce I find it a little bit racist. I know a lot of men who are attracted to women from certain shades but refuse to date her just because they are afraid of the society's perception.

• Not all Americans. In fact not even most.

• It doesn't to me... when I'm physically attracted, I'm physically attracted.
    Black IS beautiful BUT xtremely rare where I live.

• Because people are taught racism. it's simple

• people like different shades just like people like different colors. I'm not bothered by people who like pale skin just like i hope they aren't bothered by me liking darker skin.

• Well, I'm not in America, but I kind of agree with them regarding this skin colour issue. I mean, why the fuck would I date a bright orange guy? We all know those bright orange people are trouble and no good for anyone...