How do I tell my partner I love him?

I have been with my partner for just over a year now (excluding the 3 month break we had due to personal reasons) and for a while now I've been biting my tongue about dropping the L bomb. A lot of times I've nearly said it and refrained, as I feel it's either not the right situation, I'm scared that he won't say it back, or scared of his reaction. Or all of them. >.<

At first, I didn't want to say anything because I wanted to make sure that I really did 100% love him, but it's become pretty clear that I do. He means the world to me, and I appreciate all he has ever done for/does for me, and all that he is. He is my very best friend and my lover, he makes me happier than ever before. He makes me smile even when I feel like it's the end of the world, and he completes me. He is truly beautiful, inside and out, and I really do adore him with everything I've got. He is who I want to create a future with and spend the rest of my life with.

So, how do I tell him that I love him?

I know this may sound like a really stupid question, but I'm just worried because he was a really reserved and not emotional guy before I came along, he has opened up a lot since being with me and I hope he feels the same way. But, I just want it to be really nice and sweet and for him to see that I do really mean it. I'm a hopeless romantic, and he, not so much. How do I find a balance?

3mo Also I've never told a guy that I love them first, I've always waited for them to do it as stereo typically it's 'supposed' to be the guy that says it first - but I don't want to wait anymore. I want him to know just how much I love him! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• It's like totally random, you two are just doing something: watching TV, cooking, playing with dog and then out of the blue: "I love you, [insert name]"

No, that's what I mean, it's normally times like this that I want to but I just feel it's not the right situation or it would shock him. >.<

Well, it will probably shock him anyways, but yeah.

I have no doubt that I love him. At all. I just want it to be perfect...

A space shuttle launch needs to be perfect.

Most Helpful Girl

• When you're both happy.

Maybe after having a laugh, the mood is relaxed and you have that little "high" feeling from the laugh. Semi-quietly say, "I love you". Keep eye contact with him when you say it.

Don't have to, but a personal suggestion would be to say it with a 'soft smile'.

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 2

• Say it! You've been together for quite a while now so he shouldn't be too freaked. He deserves to know and you deserve to let it be known. Find an appropriate moment though when it fits into the conversation

• Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww , just say it girl! Say it!