I feel very uncomfortable giving my first name out to customers?

So I currently work in a large and extremely famous retain store that has chains all across the country.
We are required to wear name tags and I find myself in very uncomfortable situations nearly everyday because of this. At least once a day a customer will ask me what my name is and then say "Hey Jordan do you reccomend this or that?" Or "Jordan can you check if this coupon will work for that?" And other extremely obnoxious questions.
I don't mind assisting people, but it really irritates me when customers ask me for my name just to use it in such a casual manner, as if I'm on some sort of first name basis with them. Sometimes even angry customers would threaten me if I do or say something that aligns with corporate law.. for instance I once had a customer try to return something without the receipt and she said "What's your problem Jordan? Why are you lying to me Jordan?" And insisted that she could return it even though I repeadedly told her corporate doesn't allow this.
On the telephone if I have to complete a shipment for a customer, they'll almost always ask me my name and say something like "Ok, I expect the package to be perfect and if you fail Jordan I'll be calling your manager/corporate" even though I've never had a complaint about a package before.
Do you think that there's a way to talk about this with my boss? Or at least a way to tell customers nicely that I don't wish to give out my personal name?

Most Helpful Guy

• no I don't do that and always say never give out your name.

for me it's a security thing especially as have young staff as well.

Most Helpful Girl

• Give them a nickname or do what I do when I don't want to spell my name at Penn Station, "My name is J."

What Guys Said 4

• This is why I'm SO glad I don't work with the public.

Having said that I do often ask for the name of the person with whom I'm speaking to document it, or just to develop that slight rapport with them.

• I have my first name on my name tag, and without fail, it makes me uncomfortable when customers use it. I don't think it's really something you can get around though.

• Use a nickname.

• give a fake name

What Girls Said 0