Dating a guy my own age is a problem for me?

I've never wanted and never dated anyone who's the same age as I am. I feel more protected with someone who's older and more experienced than I am. Though I met this cute guy who's my age (23). He likes me and such but I don't know if I should go for it. I need someone to settle down with, I want a family.

Most Helpful Guy

• Do whatever you want. Some 23 year olds are idiots, others are mature and ahead of their game. Some 33 year olds are even BIGGER idiots, or they got their shit together. You should really look at where he is at and his personality.

I'm in my mid 30s and my current girlfriend is 21. I treat her well and vice versa (yeah big age gap I know). Although I make decent money I'm not a sugar daddy. She has never tried to mooch of me.

However I wonder if she would have noticed me in my early 20s. Maybe, maybe not. Older guys should have their act together but that is not always the case. Just use your best judgement.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are plenty of guys who would take advantage of a younger woman, even within 2-3 years. I say your being very unreasonable, unrealistic and picky. If he likes you, is attracted to you, and would want the same thing, what's the difference? What is the problem? What if you meet an older guy who meets the age requirements, but lack everything you need in a man, AND he doesn't want to settle down? What if you meet younger? You better take a seat down and look at the big picture here. Because you can't always get what you want. And then you'll be 30,40,50 without a husband because your that picky. Then you'll really wished you gave it a try and all those guys will be with their new girlfriend or wife with kids. Be reasonable. Because that's the ideal for you, but not the reality. However you are entitled to do what you want.

What Guys Said 19

• If you are sure that you feel more comfortable dating older men then go for it

• MOST guys 23 are not really ready to settle down. Some are of course, but they're rare. Choose... wisely.

• You are really disqualifying him because he is only one year older? You sound like you have daddy issues.

I don't have daddy issues, I'm not talking about a man being 10 years older than me but I'd like at least 2-3 years age difference

A guy 10 years your senior is only 33, and not old enough to qualify as you having daddy issues. Also, not lots of 25 year old guys looking to settle down.

• Well you're not married with kids yet so maybe dating older men hasn't played out for you the way you want it. Is there anything wrong with him other than the superficial?

• You'll say I never want to date someone my age until you're 30 and then you'll be on here bitching why guys your age won't date you, so hopefully you find someone you like and settle down like you said.

• Nothing wrong with that. I prefer dating working my age range but that's just me. Mainly between 24-28 and I'm 26.

• Do whatever.

• Just go with whatever your gut is telling you.

• Well then date a 40 year old

• Just sayin, it might get a little weird in that family you want if the father is that kuch older than the mother.

• this is why even women your age date guys my age.

men in their 20s just want to fuck around if they have the ability to do so (attractive and fun types)

its not bad.

• SO you want a guy with financial stability
    If you want to start a family, thats a good idea.

• Can't raise a man

• 23 is a great age to date someone to have a family with :)

• If you're shooting for a 30-40year old for example, good chance of differing motives haha.

• Go for it. Honestly older guys really are not different from younger. Most guys are either good in bed or bad and it stays that way for them basically forever.

Same with maturity. I see dudes in their 40s acting like guys in their late teens early 20s.

Go for it. Your holding yourself back because of a pretty weak reason.

• I don't get it, if you like him just go for it. Besides you can always dump him and date 35 year old.

• Yeah I never do either, it's always younger

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• 1) What does not dating someone your age mean? How much older do you usually date someone?

2) You are only 22. Why are you thinking that the guy you date now should be the guy you settle down with? At what age do you want to be married?

3) Why not date someone your age? Just because some is older and more experienced does not mean you are more protected. I may argue that if you are dating men a decade or older than you are than you are more their prey than protected so you may want to rethink that a little. Just a thought.

• Give him a chance. Not like you're going to get married to him right away or anything. Date him and see if you click.

• Go for it!! He's a year older at least

• Date a guy your age

• Why can't you have a family with him?