Would you date someone with a mental illness?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends what the illness is, explain

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably never again. I dated a girl with sever depression and a history of suicide attempts. It's a very difficult thing to deal with someone who has such a hard time to be happy. It affected my life in a negative way. So no I wouldn't put myself in that situation again.

Most Helpful Girl

• Non-politically correct term:

Would you date a sick person?

No I wouldn't.
    I get that some are more sick than others.
    I know a lot of people are going tell me about how they suffered from depression for years and that everyone deserves love. But let's be real... They should get help first before they climb into new relationships.

I lead a full life without the need for any therapy or medication, no restrictions, and no need for special accommodations. I'll have my disorder all my life. There is no "cure". I just have to manage and maintain a balance.
      I'm not "sick". Maybe you could qualify me as "disabled", but even that is incorrect.

@dragonfly6516 that is a disorder not a mental illness. An illness is potentially temporary most of the time when attended to. I knew someone would talk about their problems.. I don't mean to offend you.

I'm proud

What Guys Said 18

• Honestly, no. Can't do it. We need to mentally lock and share the same vision of reality.

I've dated a girl that was mentally damaged, and that was a circus that I won't be attending ever again. It's not worth it, when you need them to pull through, they can't.

• No thank you. I've seen what a mental illness can do to loved ones. It's hard as hell on them, and trying to keep it together yourself to support them can be extremely draining.

• Tendency goes to no. Exceptions is if that mental illness is within a reasonable level AND the girl understands that pretty much all mental illnesses - bar a few exceptions where it is physiologically caused - overcomable.

• I do myself and in all honesty I'd prefer it so we could have some understanding of what each other are going through

• Why not i have anxiety and panic attacks so if someone had some form of mental illness i would understand and relate.

• Nope I'll pass unless its very minor

• Yes, Hang out with someone that has a mental illness and you might fall in love with them. I did and married her.

• I have a mental illness, so why not?

• why would i do that? there's so many normal girls out there.

• No, I've already had my share of girls that approached me who had mental illnesses.

• Yes, because i have mental illnesses too.

• would you classify ADHD a mental illness

• Depends on the illness and the severity of it.

• if i can't see them as an equal then it won't be good relationship

• I already have. It was stressful but exciting.

• no, never.

• Depends on the illness.

• Depends what the illness is

What Girls Said 29

• I have a personality disorder. But most people can't even tell when they meet me. Due to a high intelligence, coupled with the need to study everyone in early life to learn how to behave properly, I read people very well, and I'm highly self aware. I'm blunt, completely honest with my thoughts and feelings, and confident. A combination that most females don't exhibit, so a lot of men are drawn in by they think is a mystery of what I'm really hiding.

• Sure, if I have a death wish.

• I'm not sure, I don't think I'd be good enough for them because I'm not sure if I'm mentally strong enough to support them. I know that when I invest a lot of my energy on some depressed people I know, It can drain away all of my positive vibes although I'm not depressive.

• Depends on the illness.
    If the illness makes him completely unstable to put effort in a relationship, then no I can't.

I have read in a few posts where the person with the illness ends up cheating, or shouts in anger, and so on. I cannot deal with that.

• Yes I love with my whole heart not half of it.

• They're people too.. I have a hella bad eating disorder and severe anxiety and my boyfriend puts up with me. He's super bipolar and I deal with it. If you like the person it shouldn't stop you

• As long as they get the treatment they need. I can't stand to see anyone suffer, even if I love them and it's their choice.

• Considering I have a mental illness, yes. There is no much stigma surrounding mental illness. People need to understand that it is easily controlled with medication

• I would but it depends of what kind of mental illness it is, im not going to list all of the mental illnesses though.
    I guess as long as we can have a healthy relationship i would stay with the guy.
    But as I know me I know that if I fall in love I will at least try to work with it. And if it doesn't work I will stop it.

• If I'm attracted to him then yes☺

• Depends what it is

• Depends. Gender dyshphora? No. Anxiety? Yes. Ptsd? Yes. Anorexia? Yes. Bipolar? No. All depends on the illness. Adhd? Yea ( i know its a disorder but all the same).

• It depends on the illness. I have a couple too so there are some disorders that would make that the most toxic relationship ever. I guess it would be ok it was something related to anxiety but no mood or personality disorders. I think I would also be ok with schizophrenia if the person was under meds and everything was under control.

• I have OCD so yes I will date someone with mental illness. I take medications and under control. However I would not be comfortable with someone who has schizophrenia or bipolar. It depends on the mental illness and how serious it is.
    My ex boyfriend had depression but he was on medication.

• I did and it was the hardest thing ever, it's absolutely crazy how hard it can get sometimes

• Yes, I am cyclothymic and have dated other high functioning diagnosed people.

• It depends. I dated a guy that was bi-polar for 8 months, but it didn't work out.

• Depends on the illness. If the guy is schizophrenic, it's a big no.

• I'm friends with a girl with one arm. Is that dateable? From what I know she's onoy ever had one boyfriend.

• Yes, unless they are dangerous to be around.

• To an extent. If it was depression or something like that, yes but if it's something like a psychopath then no. My life is already a bit of a mess with depression and anxiety, don't need to cross that bridge. Ever.

• No, probably not.

• Yes, because it will be shallow of me. I do think I'm a nice person.

• Everyone has their pros and cons

• Yes I have a mental illness myself.

• No. I have already met assholes who act crazy and do not have a mental illness, why would i deliberately go out of my way to date someone who has one

• Yes. However, there are exceptions. For example, I would never date a sociopath, a sadist or a narcissist.

• If I'm bored with life.. Sure, why not? A little crazy is hot 💥💖

• yes. Except is something that's really out of my control, like a psychopath